ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Matt Miller’s 7 round mock draft
The Franchise 12:48 PM 02-06-2020

All 7 rounds of the 2020 NFL draft predicted right here. https://t.co/1bsZ4k0W4k

— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) February 3, 2020

32. Kansas City Chiefs: CB Jaylon Johnson, Utah

If watching Deebo Samuel carve up this defense wasn't enough evidence, keep in mind the Chiefs have only two corners under contract for 2020. This is a major need and thankfully at a deep group of players in this draft.

Johnson has excellent size and would be ideal in the Kansas City defense. He can press or play off. He's big enough to handle physical receivers. With only Charvarius Ward set to return as a starter, this is the bigger need than complementary pieces on offense.

64. CHIEFS: WR Gabriel Davis, UCF
96. CHIEFS: RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn, Vanderbilt
135. CHIEFS: IOL Trystan Colon-Castillo, Missouri
178. CHIEFS: TE Josiah Deguara, Cincinnati
[Reply]
kccrow 04:01 PM 02-06-2020
If this team goes for a bigger receiver, and not that I don't like Davis, I think I'd prefer Isaiah Hodgins. Reminds a bunch of Kenny Golladay coming out and probably will be there around the same time (3-96).
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:21 PM 02-06-2020
Originally Posted by kccrow:
If this team goes for a bigger receiver, and not that I don't like Davis, I think I'd prefer Isaiah Hodgins. Reminds a bunch of Kenny Golladay coming out and probably will be there around the same time (3-96).
Or Denzel Mims. Who also draws Golladay comps.

Mims, for a big guy with a huge catch radius who likes to run the 9 route, gains surprisingly good separation on shorter routes, too.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:37 PM 02-06-2020
I've come around on the idea of using at least one of the first two picks on a skill player on offense.

They're likely losing Watkins, and he has been huge for KC when teams scheme to take away Hill and Kelce. You need that third threat who can make defenses pay for singling them up.

Running back is probably the biggest initial bang-for-the-buck. If they can get a true 3-down guy like Swift or Dobbins at 32, it makes sense to me.

Dobbins is a more explosive HR threat, Swift has better vision.

If they go that way at 32, probably leaves them needing to take a CB at 63, unless there's an OL/DL there they just love.
[Reply]
The Franchise 04:38 PM 02-06-2020
After watching Hodgins in person a bunch of times now....I’d fucking love that pick.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 04:49 PM 02-06-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I've come around on the idea of using at least one of the first two picks on a skill player on offense.

They're likely losing Watkins, and he has been huge for KC when teams scheme to take away Hill and Kelce. You need that third threat who can make defenses pay for singling them up.

Running back is probably the biggest initial bang-for-the-buck. If they can get a true 3-down guy like Swift or Dobbins at 32, it makes sense to me.

Dobbins is a more explosive HR threat, Swift has better vision.

If they go that way at 32, probably leaves them needing to take a CB at 63, unless there's an OL/DL there they just love.
I don’t have 100% confidence in Hardman right now to be that dude but isn’t that kinda what we need him to be? :-)

I think he’s definitely more than just a kick returner and will start in 3 WR sets. But we do need more of a possession style WR to complement he and Hill.

RB may be the spot. I think they could upgrade there if it’s a BPA situation. I just hope we never pay big at that position as long as Mahomes is around, it just wouldn’t make sense.
[Reply]
kccrow 05:15 PM 02-06-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I don’t have 100% confidence in Hardman right now to be that dude but isn’t that kinda what we need him to be? :-)

I think he’s definitely more than just a kick returner and will start in 3 WR sets. But we do need more of a possession style WR to complement he and Hill.

RB may be the spot. I think they could upgrade there if it’s a BPA situation. I just hope we never pay big at that position as long as Mahomes is around, it just wouldn’t make sense.
That's one thing that scares me most about spending a 1st on a RB. You get 4 years and then a more expensive 5th year and then what? If he's great you almost feel compelled to extend him for big money because you burned that 1st. You wouldn't spend a 1st rounder every 4 to 5 years on a RB. I think you just churn a 3rd round pick every 4 years. I kind of feel the same about backup QB. Buy one in the 4th every 4 years for super cheap rather than buying a vet for $3m+ a season. That's two positions you basically lock up 4 years at a crack for 1-2 m per year rather than 6-7 per year.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 05:29 PM 02-06-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
By “carving” up does he mean having just having 39 yards on 5 receptions? All of Samuel’s big plays came on reverses.

CB is at the top of my list, just thought that part was funny/stupid.

Not a huge fan of the 2nd rounder even though I haven’t watched him, but I like Johnson and Vaughn.
Was gonna say this
[Reply]
Chargem 01:09 AM 02-07-2020
I'd be surprised of the draft went so offense heavy like that.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 01:25 AM 02-07-2020
That's one thing that scares me most about spending a 1st on a RB. You get 4 years and then a more expensive 5th year and then what? If he's great you almost feel compelled to extend him for big money because you burned that 1st. You wouldn't spend a 1st rounder every 4 to 5 years on a RB. I think you just churn a 3rd round pick every 4 years. I kind of feel the same about backup QB. Buy one in the 4th every 4 years for super cheap rather than buying a vet for $3m+ a season. That's two positions you basically lock up 4 years at a crack for 1-2 m per year rather than 6-7 per year.
As long as Pat is our QB we don't need a super dynamic RB. It's a nice luxury if we hit one in the draft, but it's not something we should be spending dollars on.

Make sure he has a solid line, a good tight end, and the rest will fall into place.

The Patriots gave us the play book for how to manage a roster around an elite QB.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:37 AM 02-07-2020
you know who might be an interesting WR? Lynn Bowden from Kentucky.

Was the #1 receiver; lighting it up. Then last year, the top two QB's went down and Bowden took over the QB spot and played Lamar Jackson-style.

I think Andy would have a lot of fun with a cat like that. Can you imagine? WR screen that's actually a lateral and then a 50 yard bomb to Tyreek?
[Reply]
OKchiefs 08:53 AM 02-07-2020
Unless there is a player who falls that we absolutely have to have I'm in favor of going the Patriots route of constantly trading down for more picks. If this draft is like many others where pundits claim there are only 20 or so true first round talents then the difference between a player taken at 32 and between 40-50 could be negligible. With our limited cap room we can use every pick possible to add depth/competition.
[Reply]
Halfcan 11:34 AM 02-07-2020
We need a Milk Cow type running back. This team would be very scary with a decent running game.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:41 PM 02-07-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
you know who might be an interesting WR? Lynn Bowden from Kentucky.

Was the #1 receiver; lighting it up. Then last year, the top two QB's went down and Bowden took over the QB spot and played Lamar Jackson-style.

I think Andy would have a lot of fun with a cat like that. Can you imagine? WR screen that's actually a lateral and then a 50 yard bomb to Tyreek?
He’s intriguing no doubt. My only problem with him is he’s very raw in terms of route running and we already have a guy like that in Hardman.

Preferably, I’d like to get a guy with speed and a good route runner. We need somebody that can make an immediate impact without a limited route tree IMO.

If we get a solid veteran WR, I’d feel a lot better about taking a guy like him though.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:37 PM 02-07-2020
That's one thing that scares me most about spending a 1st on a RB. You get 4 years and then a more expensive 5th year and then what?
Four years with Patrick Mahomes, a running back like Dobbins or Swift, Kelce, Hill and Hardman, not to mention other skill players the Chiefs sign, draft and develop during that time?

Sign me up.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:28 PM 02-07-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Four years with Patrick Mahomes, a running back like Dobbins or Swift, Kelce, Hill and Hardman, not to mention other skill players the Chiefs sign, draft and develop during that time?

Sign me up.
Yea I don’t really think we can go wrong. If the value isn’t there at CB, LB, DE, or IOL then don’t hesitate to take Swift or Dobbins.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up