ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Divide deepens as House Speaker Ryan abandons Trump says every candidate for themselv
Dave Lane 07:37 AM 10-11-2016
With election day less than a month off, Republicans faced an extraordinary breach in party ranks Monday as House Speaker Paul D. Ryan declared he would no longer defend presidential nominee Donald Trump and instead focus on preserving the GOP’s majority in Congress.

Without formally withdrawing his endorsement, Ryan nonetheless delivered a stinging blow to Trump, urging Republican lawmakers in a conference call to do whatever they needed to win Nov. 8 — even if it meant cutting loose from the party’s national standard-bearer.

Ryan’s statements drew an immediate backlash, on Capitol Hill and at the party’s grass roots, as loyalists were stunned the top elected Republican in the country would abandon Trump at a time party leaders would normally be ramping up efforts to take back the White House.

Trump responded with a slap on Twitter. “Paul Ryan should spend more time on balancing the budget, jobs and illegal immigration and not waste his time on fighting Republican nominee,” Trump wrote.

Supporters, including some lawmakers who scolded Ryan during the private call, were equally aggrieved

Republican Party chairman reassures members: We're sticking by Trump

“What’s going on is our leadership panicked when there was a massive disclosure of a private conversation that Trump had 11 years ago in which he was grotesquely sexual and egotistical,” said Rep. Dana Rohrabacher of Huntington Beach, who called Ryan’s move cowardly.

“So, OK. That’s something of significance,” Rohrabacher said, sharing his account of the conversation in an interview afterward. But not, he went on, “as significant as the real issues that separate Hillary and Donald.”

“For us to try to undo what the Republican voters did in the primaries would be a betrayal to the Republican voters who made their choice,” Rohrabacher said.

The backbiting, a day after Trump and his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton waged a searing, insult-filled debate, underscored the bind facing the GOP and its leaders, who had come around to Trump’s candidacy with varying degrees of enthusiasm.

The choice amounts to rejecting the candidate selected by voters and risk the party’s base staying home out of pique, or continuing to embrace Trump — overlooking his offensive behavior — and possibly alienate women and other swing voters who can make a difference in close House and Senate contests.

“Republicans made a deal with the devil, and when you make a deal with the devil you end up in hell," said Rob Stutzman, a Republican strategist in Sacramento and longtime Trump critic.

Seeking to clamp down on speculation that the Republican National Committee was also primed to walk away from Trump, Chairman Reince Priebus told members the organization would continue to stand behind and work on behalf of the nominee through its "Victory" program, which aims to boost Republicans up and down the ticket.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 10:02 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Gov Chris Christi allowed cons, who served their time to vote, but then Scott reversed it back. It was put up as a ballot question by some left-wing group. We have way too many ballot questions at election time.

If the Democrats out-loony one another, he could still win. But there's a lot more loons out there and the lefties have been pretty actively changing election rules in other areas state by state too. Not hearing anything about Republicans doing much in this area.
True. Eliminating gerrymandering is truly a heinous act. I can see why this concerns you.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 10:59 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
So Chump lost in 2016 by 3M votes. I estimate he’s lost about another 3M over his immigration failures. That puts him -6M.

The electorate will also change on him a tad. I estimate this to be another 3M gap. That puts him as having to find 9M votes he didn’t have last time. (9M was also the 2018 midterm margin - so the #s work here)

Ain’t gonna happen.
I won't argue with your numbers. They sound really reasonable actually. But as we all know, the popular vote doesn't determine squat. It's very possible for him to lose several votes and still win as long as they are lost in the right places.

Am I arguing that will happen, nope. Just wanted to point it out. :-)
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:13 AM 03-15-2019
His numbers in WI, MI and PA are pretty bad now. (MI he’s polling 31% now...was 38% in 2016 and he won by 5K total votes there). Florida votes to restore felon voting rights for 1M ex cons, that’ll take care of that state. By the way 40% of Repubes voted in favor of that. Can’t fix stupid.

I guess we will see if warmed-over Bushism with a heavy dose of Ryano will do the trick. Trump thinks it will, I think it won’t.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 12:05 PM 03-15-2019
His numbers in WI, MI and PA are pretty bad now. (MI he’s polling 31% now...was 38% in 2016 and he won by 5K total votes there). Florida votes to restore felon voting rights for 1M ex cons, that’ll take care of that state. By the way 40% of Repubes voted in favor of that. Can’t fix stupid.

I guess we will see if warmed-over Bushism with a heavy dose of Ryano will do the trick. Trump thinks it will, I think it won’t.
If that's true, you are right about not being able to fix stupid. Do you suppose it's some kind of mental self challenge for them or something? Stacking the deck against themselves just to see if they can still win? Importing Dem votes, legalizing Dem votes that are already here but in one way or another have f-ed up their life, not fighting for voter ID so any Tom, Dick, or Carlos can stuff the ballot boxes with Dem votes. It just seems like some weird form of Masochism to me :-)

And I think you are right about the rust belt. I can't believe he won them to start with, I just don't see him winning them again.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:33 PM 03-15-2019

Joe Biden's first few hours in office will be entertaining. I'll bet he won't hire a pussy the likes of Granny...

Right?
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 12:38 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
If that's true, you are right about not being able to fix stupid. Do you suppose it's some kind of mental self challenge for them or something? Stacking the deck against themselves just to see if they can still win? Importing Dem votes, legalizing Dem votes that are already here but in one way or another have f-ed up their life, not fighting for voter ID so any Tom, Dick, or Carlos can stuff the ballot boxes with Dem votes. It just seems like some weird form of Masochism to me :-)

And I think you are right about the rust belt. I can't believe he won them to start with, I just don't see him winning them again.

It looks like 60% of Repubes voted for it, not 40%
https://news.wjct.org/post/unf-poll-...-voting-rights

I prob gave them too much credit originally. This poll before the election shows 71% support and it ended up 65% actual. The poll showed 62% Repube support. So it came in close.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up