ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 11
« First < 34567 891011 >
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Jared Wiley Thread*****
Dante84 11:38 AM 04-27-2024
More to come!

I keep thinking Jared Wiley (TE-TCU) would be a really good understudy to Travis Kelce.

Both former QBs, both very good option-route guys who understand spacing and timing, and Wiley has an athletic profile similar to Kelce (long, lean, vertical speed). Wiley isn't the blocker…

— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) April 17, 2024

Sleeper pick in this year's draft? ��

TE Jared Wiley from TCU @dpbrugler��: https://t.co/wG42iYu34u pic.twitter.com/GLyvAu9pB4

— NFL on FOX Podcast (@NFLonFOXPod) April 11, 2024

The Chiefs have a new TE! Here's what you need to know about the Chiefs 4th round pick, Jared Wiley! ��

(fueled by @Holladay1856) pic.twitter.com/MIJRYRSMUt

— KC Sports Network (@KCSportsNetwork) April 27, 2024

Chiefs Fourth Round Draft Pick Jared Wiley https://t.co/njJcuEaKDT

— Matt Derrick (@mattderrick) April 27, 2024

The TE with the most TDs in college football this past season? Jared Wiley �� pic.twitter.com/Hm6CPzrpWG

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) :-)516147978453?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 27, 2024

[Reply]
nychief 11:34 AM 04-28-2024
I assume his main roll is going to be blocking this up coming season, he's replacing Belldozer.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:37 AM 04-28-2024
He's gonna get a few 1000 yard seasons. Maybe not as many as Kelce, but he's gonna get a couple.

And the league is going to crrrrryyyyy
[Reply]
Wallymo 01:10 PM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'm just glad we haven't fallen into this trap of pretending that 6'3" tight ends are going to be difference makers. Those are slow WRs.

Give me that 6'6" frame with loose hips. Teach the rest.
I can't pretend to be any kind of expert, but the quote by Matt Miller that Wiley "understand[s] spacing and timing" is what intrigues me. That understanding of spacing and timing is Kelce's secret sauce. How many opposing fans have yelled in frustration because Kelce is always somehow wide open?

If Wiley has the physical profile (I have faith in DJ's nut on this point), and understands how to get open, that's a damn good pick. That's my brilliant analysis for the day.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 01:14 PM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by Wallymo:
I can't pretend to be any kind of expert, but the quote by Matt Miller that Wiley "understand[s] spacing and timing" is what intrigues me. That understanding of spacing and timing is Kelce's secret sauce. How many opposing fans have yelled in frustration because Kelce is always somehow wide open?

If Wiley has the physical profile (I have faith in DJ's nut on this point), and understands how to get open, that's a damn good pick. That's my brilliant analysis for the day.
Ex QB he should understand some things. Can’t wait to see him develop.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:23 PM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by TheGuardian:
I was wondering if it was just me but apparently most do agree that he moves and runs and is similar to Trav in a lot of ways.
He's stiffer. Feet are heavier. Seems to have some of the same ideas but not quite as much fluidity.

But at that size, who does? It's just a level of grace that doesn't make sense at 6'5".

But Wiley is close enough to be starting caliber long term, IMO.

And unlike the trend you're seeing with Kincaid, Bowers, McBride, etc - he has the size that requires you respect his physicality on the field. You can't just go nickel when he's out there because he'll block a slot corner into the core of the earth. You might be able to do a 3 safety set and be fine, but really you should probably hang in base with a guy like that.

THATS where the mismatches come from. Not by sending some 6'3" and 235 lb guy who runs an 4.65 against a NCB.
[Reply]
DenverChief 01:24 PM 04-28-2024
I just saw this guy is 6 foot 7 inches tall. Lawd he a big boy.
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:25 PM 04-28-2024

You may not be an expert, but you're not wrong

They have a very similar look on the move, and their RAS scores are almost identical... this dude has a great chance of being the heir apparent
[Reply]
smithandrew051 01:28 PM 04-28-2024
Guys like this always surprise me when they aren’t all that productive as receivers in college.

Like how do you not force feed a guy that big and fast in college?
[Reply]
PatMahomesIsGod 01:33 PM 04-28-2024

Stop, I can only get so erect.
[Reply]
TheGuardian 02:40 PM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
He's stiffer. Feet are heavier. Seems to have some of the same ideas but not quite as much fluidity.

But at that size, who does? It's just a level of grace that doesn't make sense at 6'5".

But Wiley is close enough to be starting caliber long term, IMO.

And unlike the trend you're seeing with Kincaid, Bowers, McBride, etc - he has the size that requires you respect his physicality on the field. You can't just go nickel when he's out there because he'll block a slot corner into the core of the earth. You might be able to do a 3 safety set and be fine, but really you should probably hang in base with a guy like that.

THATS where the mismatches come from. Not by sending some 6'3" and 235 lb guy who runs an 4.65 against a NCB.
You articulated that well, couldn't quite put my finger on it but he's almost like a stiffer version of Trav. Trav has such a smooth way he runs and transitions into movements that it's hard to describe. This guy is SIMILAR but as you said, a bit more heavy footed and stiff in his motions compared to him.

But the similaries are there.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:00 PM 04-28-2024
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Guys like this always surprise me when they aren’t all that productive as receivers in college.

Like how do you not force feed a guy that big and fast in college?
Its alot easier for WRs to get big plays down field in college. I dunno thats one theory
[Reply]
DRM08 03:18 PM 04-28-2024

The QB background has been a huge part of Kelce’s success. Hopefully this new kid is able to learn a lot from Travis and build himself into a legit weapon for Mahomes.
[Reply]
philfree 03:20 PM 04-28-2024
I keep thinking about Kelce and Wiley in 12 personnel with Brown and Worthy on the field with them.
[Reply]
Dante84 05:04 PM 04-28-2024
From Ledyard: Wiley dropped only 1 pass his entire college career.

[Reply]
In58men 08:43 PM 04-28-2024
Does he have a legit shot at taking the #2 spot, barring injuries.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 11
« First < 34567 891011 >
Up