ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 29
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Listen, people. We need to have a talk about a Chiefs name change at some point.
Rain Man 11:59 AM 06-29-2020
I think the odds are low of a name change, but given the current state of affairs it's a non-zero possibility. And if we don't have input, the name will end up being some trite adjective in front of the word Hawks, which has happened with pretty much every other sports name change in America. Green Hawks, Fighting Hawks, Screeching Hawks, whatever. We don't want that.

I suspect that some members of Chiefs management read this site occasionally to get our takes on who should be starting at left guard or how they should handle a particular contract, so this is our chance to have input into the process. (Oh, and hi, Clark. Nice work last year, my friend. PM me about getting together for dinner next time you're in Denver.)

So we'll have a renaming tournament. In this thread, you may propose up to three names, and I'll structure everyone's suggestions into heats. Using the Chiefsplanet brain trust, we'll give Clark and his team valuable input into what the Chiefs should become if we eventually delete our homage to indigenous plains cultures.
[Reply]
patteeu 03:59 PM 06-30-2020
Now that we have Mahomes, I’d go with The Kansas City Manifest Destiny
[Reply]
vonBobo 04:32 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
If Chiefs are offensive, then Kansas is offensive. Kansas comes from the Kansa Indians, which means "south wind people".

People named teams, cities, and states after them to commemorate them. Kind of like why we name schools, roads etc after famous people.
"Commemorate", that's a load of white washing hypocritical horse shit.
The early pioneers and settlers simply adopted the established names that were already in use.
While "Chief" implies a certain amount of respect, I don't see much "commemorating". How many people In Arrowhead would know an actual Chief's name that wasn't in a disney or John Wayne movie?
European settlers did terrible things to the Native Americans and then left the remaining survivors with nothing. NAs see right through that hollow meaningless appropriation disguised as some sort of honor???
[Reply]
underEJ 04:40 PM 06-30-2020
H Roe Bartle was the chief for his boy scout association, not for his mayor duties. It is used as a deflection for sure but it is wishful thinking that it was about the mayor role. If you look at a picture of him in his boy scout chief get up, you can see it is clear appropriation of the type people sort of agree is problematic.

It is highly likely some of the associations utilized in marketing and game day experience are going to change. People should start to find ways to enjoy the new ideas or make some suggestions. I wanted them to change it a few years ago to shake up the losing culture from the foundation. Now we have a hero who did that for us!

I personally don't give a shit what they call the team. I would hope the red sticks around so hoping they find a suitable name for that bold red.
[Reply]
srvy 04:50 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by vonBobo:
The early pioneers and settlers simply adopted the established names that were already in use.
While "Chief" implies a certain amount of respect, I don't see much "commemorating". How many people In Arrowhead would know an actual Chief's name that wasn't in a disney or John Wayne movie?
European settlers did terrible things to the Native Americans and then left the remaining survivors with nothing. NAs see right through that hollow meaningless appropriation disguised as some sort of honor???
The Native Americans did much harm to Euro's also but pales in comparison to what they did to other Tribes.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:54 PM 06-30-2020
As an update, I'll start this up as soon as I finish the interstate road trip tournament, which only has two polls left. I'll scan the thread to identify the serious nominations and we'll be off and running like Warpaint after a touchdown.*

* - Please do not envision Warpaint since our hypothetical scenario will result in Warpaint no longer existing.
[Reply]
patteeu 04:58 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by vonBobo:
Maybe we should tear down some statues glorifying Indians since many of them took up arms against the US. What do you think?
[Reply]
kc rush 04:59 PM 06-30-2020
SJWs will come after most teams for one reason or another. All I know is that as a celebration of all things LGTBQ, the Denver Broncos are safe.
[Reply]
bdj23 05:03 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
As an update, I'll start this up as soon as I finish the interstate road trip tournament, which only has two polls left. I'll scan the thread to identify the serious nominations and we'll be off and running like Warpaint after a touchdown.*

* - Please do not envision Warpaint since our hypothetical scenario will result in Warpaint no longer existing.
I'm nominating Kansas City Cold Water Crayfish

If we are going to be ridiculous, we might as well go all out.
[Reply]
ptlyon 05:47 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by kc rush:
SJWs will come after most teams for one reason or another. All I know is that as a celebration of all things LGTBQ, the Denver Broncos are safe.
Attached: gay bronco fans_zpsrqdd3qo9.jpg (48.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Rain Man 05:49 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by BDj23:
I'm nominating Kansas City Cold Water Crayfish

If we are going to be ridiculous, we might as well go all out.
I think that's a serious contender. I'd vote for it.
[Reply]
Rain Man 05:50 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Maybe we should tear down some statues glorifying Indians since many of them took up arms against the US. What do you think?
We shouldn't stop until we've eliminated all traces of their culture. It's the right thing to do.
[Reply]
Rasputin 05:51 PM 06-30-2020
The name can change but in the History of events it was the Kansas City Chiefs that won Super Bowl IV and Super Bowl LIV.

It was also the Washington Redskins that gave the Broncos one of the worst beatings in Super Bowl History so you can change the name but you can't change the history of the names.
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 06:09 PM 06-30-2020
Cavemen/people would require little change. Missouri caves, arrowhead, drums, feathers, chopping up a mastadon after the kill. Just add loincloths for the cheerleaders.
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 09:25 PM 06-30-2020
I think it's pretty probable that the Redskins name will get changed first so you can use that as a marker for when it's time to seriously consider the situation for the Chiefs.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:34 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by OrtonsPiercedTaint:
Cavemen/people would require little change. Missouri caves, arrowhead, drums, feathers, chopping up a mastadon after the kill. Just add loincloths for the cheerleaders.
You can add good cheers, such as,

Flint rock, spear, atltatl
Your kicker's getting rattled!
[Reply]
Page 16 of 29
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Up