ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 149
« First < 289101112 131415162262112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2020 Royals Official Offseason/Season Repository
Al Bundy 09:13 AM 01-04-2020
Players start reporting Feb 12th.
New Ownership.
Spring training games begin Feb 20th against the Rangers.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:05 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
My friend says that Aldaberto Mondesi is better than Lindor and had a chance at winning the MVP last year. I told him that is an incredible leap of faith. Can he figure it out this year?

We know he is a major leaguer, and a good one. But with what we saw at the end of 2017 it appeared he could trend toward a superstar at some point of his career. Can that still be his trajectory?

Your friend is kinda crazy. If everything clicked for Mondesi, he might go .280/.330/.550 with 25 HR and 50 SB.

If you pair that with his strong defense, you’d have an incredibly valuable player... but still someone on par with Lindor in overall skill.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:37 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Fangraphs “Depth Charts” says 71 and Prospectus says 67.8 as per their 2/11 release. So the dude who said Vegas called 59 wins lied.
Is that counting for Duffys inevitable trip to the 60 day DL?
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:00 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Duncan's Top Prospects for 2020

Well, here it is. I'll switch into baseball mode, reluctantly, after the high of the Chiefs getting to the mountain top.

The Royals farm system is slowly building back up to the state it needs to be in. Good drafts in 2018 and 2019 (some might say a GREAT draft in 2018) have the system loading up. With a strong 2020 draft (more on that in a bit) and solid progression from current crop of farmhands, KC is primed to be back in top 10s-ville (rather than the mid-range current ranking) by this time next year.

Let's get to it.

Top 5
Spoiler!

6-10
Spoiler!

11-20
Spoiler!

2020 Draft Thoughts
The Royals again have a strong draft pool to work with in 2020, with 4 picks in the top 77 (4, 32, 41, 77) and will have the money to be creative and aggressive. At 4th overall, KC is probably out of range for the top college bat, Spencer Torkelson (Arizona State 1B/OF) who basically is Andrew Vaughn - but with better raw power and the ability to 'play' LF. This draft is deep in college arms (Emerson Hancock, Asa Lacy, Garrett Crochet), but there will be intriguing college bats (Vandy SS Austin Martin, UCLA CF Garrett Mitchell) available, too.

It's regarded as a pretty strong draft right now, so it's a good year to have picks and add premium upside to a system on the rise. The big target for me would be impact bats. KC's minor league system has good pitching depth. You always take the best guy on your board, but looking at KC's system, I'd take a bat over a similarly ranked pitcher this year (unless Hancock is there. If he is, they can't let him slip).
I love Bubic. I've been in love with him for awhile now and it's nice to see him ranked so highly. Lots of places have him ranked behind Singer, Lynch, Kowar. I also think Singer is ranked too high in most things I read, so this looks great to me. Bubic has absolutely dominated every single class he's been in and like you said above he lead the minors in Ks.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:27 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Until I see it I think Brady Singer ends up as a closer because without a true secondary pitch he's going to struggle to start..
Where does this come from? What’s the analytical proof? Has there been a study on it? Lots of guys start and do well with 1-2 pitches.

Shields: curve/change. FB for show, always had negative value
Yordano: FB/curve. FB severe negative value 2016. CB was his high value pitch
Volquez: curve/slider. FB negative most years
Ian: FB. That’s it. High value pitch, all others negative
DuffMan: FB/curve. Slider change negative value

I mean outside guys like Sabes, Cone, Appier, none of our stattters has 3 high value pitches
[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:05 PM 02-19-2020
OUCH:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Padres/comm...tm_name=iossmf

Patience is running out in SD’s fandom.
[Reply]
ROYC75 02:46 AM 02-20-2020
If we can get any pitching at all, this team will surprise many in the baseball world and come close to a .500 season.

With quality pitching, 5 - 10 games under .500

Without quality pitching, 20 games under .500
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:03 AM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
If we can get any pitching at all, this team will surprise many in the baseball world and come close to a .500 season.

With quality pitching, 5 - 10 games under .500

Without quality pitching, 20 games under .500
Based on what premise? Because you surely can't believe we hit well enough to be competitive.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:07 AM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Based on what premise? Because you surely can't believe we hit well enough to be competitive.
Our lineup actually has the potential to be pretty impressive this year.

But our rotation and bullpen? Yikes.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:13 AM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
OUCH:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Padres/comm...tm_name=iossmf

Patience is running out in SD’s fandom.
Best ground ball hitter in baseball!
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:27 AM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Our lineup actually has the potential to be pretty impressive this year.

But our rotation and bullpen? Yikes.
We were 26th in runs scored last year. I simply don't see where the improvement is supposed to come from for basically the same group to be "impressive".
[Reply]
DeepSouth 09:35 AM 02-20-2020
We were 26th in runs scored last year. I simply don't see where the improvement is supposed to come from for basically the same group to be "impressive".
Last year the bottom four hitters for the Royals were pretty much outs. This is what will be different;

Lucas Duda / Frank Schwindel with O'Hearn / McBroom
Chris Owings with Nicky Lopez
Billy Hamilton with Maikel Franco
Martin Maldonado with Salvador Perez

Obviously, it's NOT the same group.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:36 AM 02-20-2020
To be fair, Ryan O'Hearn hit less than 200 last year, he sucks too.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:38 AM 02-20-2020
Oh, there's the makings of a respectable offense here.

Merrifield
Mondesi
Dozier
Soler
Perez
Gordon

isn't bad at all. If Mondesi stays healthy, that could be a pretty dynamic grouping. Personally, I'd flop Merrifield and Mondesi and let Whit see more fastballs.

They need more from 1B, CF, and 2B (Nicky Lopez) offensively to be a legitimately good lineup, but 2/3 of the setup isn't bad.

They should be talking to the Dodgers about Joc Pederson. He would be a better option in CF than Merrifield, is still only 27, and swings left. If the Dodgers were ready to send him out for Luis Rengifio, the price tag on him isn't that high.

If they were willing to send $10 million with it, I'd bet they could get Pederson and may even a lower-level lotto ticket prospect from the Dodgers for Ian Kennedy.

^ This is the type of creative thing Mecca is asking for. I'd be all over it.

Pederson is a free agent after this season, but so is Kennedy. I'd consider Pederson a more tradeable commodity than Kennedy, generally.

If that were to happen:

Mondesi - SS
Merrifield - RF
Dozier - 3B
Pederson - CF
Soler - DH (know this is weird, but it stacks 3 good OBP guys right in front of him, all of whom can run)
Perez - C
Gordon - LF
O'Hearn/McBroom - 1B
Lopez - 2B

That's actually a pretty good lineup. You'd sit Pederson against lefties, and Perez probably gets some time at 1B instead of McBroom, especially against lefties.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:40 AM 02-20-2020
The Pederson thing makes to much sense so I wouldn't expect it. I think Moore is a bit to old school and to attached to players he picked to really shake it up.
[Reply]
DeepSouth 09:41 AM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
To be fair, Ryan O'Hearn hit less than 200 last year, he sucks too.
You are correct. That's why McBroom could be at 1st. I think players will have a shorter leash this year. With the controversy following Matheny, they'll want the team to improve over last year. Matheny cannot stand the scrutiny that Ned has gotten for the last two 100 loss seasons.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 149
« First < 289101112 131415162262112 > Last »
Up