ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 56 of 1203
« First < 6465253545556 57585960661061565561056 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:27 PM 12-20-2015
Originally Posted by Buzz:
Wife wants to lose a few pounds so she had me buy fish. I picked up some tilapia fillets. What's the best way to cook these, pan sear or oven? I have only done salmon on the grill.

Honestly, the best way to do fish is convection. If you have a flavorwave, it's easy perfection. Basically a halogen heat lamp with a fan to move the hot air around the food.

If you have a convection stove or microwave. That would work. After that, pan sear, then regular oven last.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:33 PM 12-20-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Honestly, the best way to do fish is convection. If you have a flavorwave, it's easy perfection. Basically a halogen heat lamp with a fan to move the hot air around the food.
I disagree.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:36 PM 12-20-2015
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I disagree.
I'm sure you've been wrong before.
[Reply]
Buzz 05:45 PM 12-20-2015
Looks like Creole seasoning and pan sear, I'll have to pick some up.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:47 PM 12-20-2015

I'd put sous vide up any time, anywhere, but I wasn't suggesting some special tool like your Flavorizer that most people don't have.

In any case, for fish like tilapia, convection and baking are pretty much the same thing. Convection doesn't give you any noticeable difference with something as thin as tilapia fillets.

En papillote (steamed in a parchment packet) is delicious, too, with some aromatics in the pouch.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:48 PM 12-20-2015
Looks like Creole seasoning and pan sear, I'll have to pick some up.

You like spicy? You could get s blackening spice.
[Reply]
Buzz 05:56 PM 12-20-2015
I saw that when I picked up shrimp and crab boil the other day, that could be an option.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:57 PM 12-20-2015
I saw that when I picked up shrimp and crab boil the other day, that could be an option.

Blackened tilapia can be really good. It'll smoke the shit out of your house though. Open the windows, or better yet, put cast iron on the grill and do it outside.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:04 PM 12-20-2015
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I'd put sous vide up any time, anywhere, but I wasn't suggesting some special tool like your Flavorizer that most people don't have.

In any case, for fish like tilapia, convection and baking are pretty much the same thing. Convection doesn't give you any noticeable difference with something as thin as tilapia fillets.

En papillote (steamed in a parchment packet) is delicious, too, with some aromatics in the pouch.
1. It's a flavor wave.
2. It's no more a 'special tool' than a steamer or a hot plate.
3. They sell off-brand models new as cheap as $40 at Aldis.
3. I have convection in my microwave and stove as well, the Flavorwave is just the one I've had the longest and the easiest to maintain/clean.
4. The convection action gives you a crisper surface than am oven, without all the attention and danger of burning/drying on the stovetop.
5. Sous vide is fine for a delicate fish with delicate flavors, lemon pepper and the like. You would get similar results in a steamer. But cajun you want a crisped surface you can't get in sous vide, unless you finish with a pan sear.
[Reply]
Buzz 06:06 PM 12-20-2015
This got me wondering, what is the difference between Creole seasoning and shrimp and crab boil? Intensity or is it completely apples and oranges.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:14 PM 12-20-2015
1. It's a flavor wave.

2. It's no more a 'special tool' than a steamer or a hot plate.

3. They sell off-brand models new as cheap as $40 at Aldis.

3. I have convection in my microwave and stove as well, the Flavorwave is just the one I've had the longest and the easiest to maintain/clean.

4. The convection action gives you a crisper surface than am oven, without all the attention and danger of burning/drying on the stovetop.

Just because you can buy it, even at Aldi's, doesn't make it less of a specialized piece of equipment. By that argument, I could say you can get sous vide for $100 on Amazon.

There's a good lot of solid cooks here, and you're the only one that got the As Seen On TV Flavorwave.

An oven or a range or a grill isn't specialized. A countertop convection halogen-powered oven is unusual.

To say that "the best" way to prepare fish is a subjective statement, no need to get your diapers bunched because someone disagrees. It also totally lumps all kinds of "fish" into one pile and doesn't consider different applications for different types of fish.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:17 PM 12-20-2015
5. Sous vide is fine for a delicate fish with delicate flavors, lemon pepper and the like. You would get similar results in a steamer. But cajun you want a crisped surface you can't get in sous vide, unless you finish with a pan sear.

No subjectiveness here, you're wrong about sous vide.

Sous vide is good for all kinds of fish, delicate or otherwise, and you'd rarely do anything sous vide without finishing in a pan. And your flavoring can be done similarly, it's not restricted to "lemon pepper and the like."
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:20 PM 12-20-2015
My God you can be a prick sometimes.

Sous vide, pan sear. Listen to the CP master, folks.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:20 PM 12-20-2015
My God you can be a prick sometimes.

Likewise.

[Reply]
Buzz 06:22 PM 12-20-2015
Well, this pissing match isn't helping much, off to youtube.
[Reply]
Page 56 of 1203
« First < 6465253545556 57585960661061565561056 > Last »
Up