ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 15
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Red Dirt Juke Box
Iowanian 04:41 PM 01-13-2015
In several discussions about music, several posters bring in Red Dirt Music to the conversation.

In this thread, I'd like to do things a little different to help people learn about our favorite artists, and post a couple of youtube videos of their song and your personal favorite playlist of that artist.
Feel free to include your own contributions, but follow the format. Videos of live performances, and list a few of your favorite songs.

I've met a few of these guys and have had beers with some of them, so I'll share stories and nuggets that they've told me. It's fine if you have a different take of the same artists or offer a different playlist.

Happy listening.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:44 PM 01-13-2015
I gotta hit the sack. I'll post some lesser known stuff I like later on.

Good thread Iownian.
[Reply]
listopencil 12:54 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts:
I love that I can see most of these guys live and diet cheap within 2 hours of my house. Stoney LaRue is a big one, but Sturgill Simpson is easily my favorite. Thanks Strongside! can't embed from my tablet.

Sturgill Simpson - Medicine Springs (Live on KEXP…: http://youtu.be/HMB3sfvrFKc
Now that is some good shit.
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 06:04 AM 01-14-2015
I live in the heart of Red Dirt country and the hometown of Cody Canada, but I'm criminally out of touch with the genre. I'm a Rock/Rap guy but I'm mildly interested in learning more about RD music. I don't know if he's lumped in with other RD artists, but I'm a big fan of Robert Earl Keen.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:26 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin:
I live in the heart of Red Dirt country and the hometown of Cody Canada, but I'm criminally out of touch with the genre. I'm a Rock/Rap guy but I'm mildly interested in learning more about RD music. I don't know if he's lumped in with other RD artists, but I'm a big fan of Robert Earl Keen.
Keen is red dirt by my estimation. Post up some favorites.
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 08:45 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Keen is red dirt by my estimation. Post up some favorites.

REK's lead guitar player is mutherfucker
[Reply]
Dartgod 08:47 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
The base player is from Kansas City...
The stand up base player is a pharmacist by education.
Bass, dammit, BASS!

:-)

Now that I cleared that up, I'll give some of these a listen.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:34 AM 01-14-2015
I'm a pretty big Reckless Kelly fan. They play a lot of different types of songs also. I pretty much don't skip one if they come on. One of the best IMO.

Other songs I like:
Bulletproof
How was California?
God Forsaken Town
Seven Nights in Eire (Not sure that one falls under Red Dirt, but it's a great song)
Nobody's Girl

But like I said, they're all pretty damn good.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:39 AM 01-14-2015
Aaron Watson is pretty decent. He's got kind of an old school sound to him. There is some of his stuff that doesn't resonate with me, but he's definitely good for a listen.

Other Songs I like:
Raise your bottle
Barbed Wire Halo
Next to Heaven
Whiskey on the Fire
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:41 AM 01-14-2015
These guys write a lot of their own songs. The stand up base player is a pharmacist by education.
That big ass motherfucker? Heh. Didn't know that.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:56 AM 01-14-2015
Most people either love him or hate him, but I like some of the stuff Christ Knight puts out. You have to like that kind of music, if not, keep on moving, but he does sing with some soul. I had a hard time finding much on Youtube from him. Most are crappy sounding live vids. The one I found has decent sound, but the video is kind of lame.

Other songs I like from him
Cry Lonely
Down the River
Nothing on me
Go on home
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:10 AM 01-14-2015
I'm normally not huge on female leads but Kylie Rae Harris is pretty damned good. I listed to her perform this song in the studio of a local (for around here) radio station. She was damn good. In a crappy ass western Kansas radio station. It boggles my mind how Taylor Swift can be a superstar, but couldn't hold a candle to this chick. Anyway, she's worth a listen IMO:

I don't have her on any kind of rotation, here are some of her songs I like
I'd Rather Be Lonely
Slide Over
Waited.
[Reply]
Iowanian 10:41 AM 01-14-2015
If you like female contributions, the Trisha's are talented. You'll hear some of those ladies doing the female parts on many red dirt duets.

Sturgil Simpson (also found in Sunday Valley on youtube)

Sturgil is a veteran. Some of his music you swear you are listening to Waylon Jennings. He has a very traditional, nasally sound. The thing that separates him from the others, besides his voice....is he's a very intelligent guy. He is big into hallucinogens and sings and talks alot about mind expansion, universe stuff....as well as shrooms, DMT and sensory deprivation chamber stuff.

My favorites from him:
Life Ain't Fair......the first song of his I heard and I was a fan in 20 seconds.
Medicine Springs
You can have the crown
Turtles all the way down.

The new album is pretty spacey and he swears you have to hear it on vinyl and high to get it......

He has a 2hr podcast with Joe Rogan that was pretty interesting, and has been getting mainstream play this past couple of months on Letterman and Late night shows.

Enjoy.

[Reply]
Iowanian 10:53 AM 01-14-2015
Jason Eady is singer-songwriter.

I much prefer his live stuff to the recorded. I've never met him personally but he's very talented. I talked to a guy who had him come and play a birthday party so for a fee and an airplane ticket you can get this guy at your house....

He has a long list and alot of it deals with traditional country problems, drinking, wife leaving, but he has a nice spin on the comeback too.

This is the song that turned me on to Jason eady Music
AM COUNTRY HEAVEN

Waiting to Shine

Judgement Day. He talks about Kansas City and playing this song for his hero there.

This Old Guitar and Me....... one of my personal favorites.

[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:09 PM 01-14-2015
I give this thread a :-):-)
[Reply]
Iowanian 03:40 PM 01-14-2015
The Dirty River Boys

This band has 2 styles of music depending on which of the leads are singing. It's like listening to 2 different bands sometimes. One has a Dillon type sound and Nino(the short guy) I'd say has more of a John Cougar Mellencamp quality.

The distinguishing thing about this band is the drummer, who plays a wooden box drum(I believe what Bob Dole from CP plays)....I've seen them a few times in a small venue and have chatted with all of them for a couple of hours. Nice guys who like to play music.

Raise Some Hell Tonight

Boom Town

Six Riders

Dried Up

Carnival Eyes

[Reply]
Page 2 of 15
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up