ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1867 of 3903
« First < 867136717671817185718631864186518661867 186818691870187118771917196723672867 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 08:23 AM 05-05-2020
I posted a similar story probably a good 100 pages back by now about new reports coming out of the UK about an increase in children getting toxic shock\Kawasaki disease like symptoms and had to be in ICU's. Never did follow up on that story but now we are seeing it here in the US with confirmed cases of children with Covid.

NY has now issued a health alert for this

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/down...y-syndrome.pdf

I am concerned if this virus doesn't burn out and continues into the fall when schools re-open what we might see happen to children infected with covid. Most children have been quarantined with their parents so they haven't been exposed yet. The good news is so far none have died I don't think.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/corona...ry?id=70506264

Originally Posted by :
15 children hospitalized in NYC with mysterious syndrome possibly linked to COVID-19

Fifteen children, many of whom tested positive for or had previously been exposed to the novel coronavirus, have recently been admitted to New York City hospitals with a mysterious illness possibly linked to COVID-19, health officials said in an alert Monday night.

The patients, aged 2 to 15, had been hospitalized in intensive care from April 17 to May 1 with various symptoms associated with toxic shock or Kawasaki disease, a rare inflammatory syndrome typically affecting children under the age of 5. None of the reported patients have died, though more than half required blood pressure support and five needed mechanical ventilation, according to the bulletin posted by the New York City Health Department.

"Clinical features vary, depending on the affected organ system, but have been noted to include features of Kawasaki disease or features of shock," Dr. Demetre Daskalakis, deputy city health commissioner for disease control, said in the alert Monday night. "However, the full spectrum of disease is not yet known."

All 15 patients had subjective or measured fever while more than half reported rash, abdominal pain, vomiting or diarrhea. Less than half of those patients reported respiratory symptoms, according to the city health department, which described the mystery ailment as a "multi-system inflammatory syndrome potentially associated with COVID-19."

Molecular diagnostic testing showed four of the patients were positive for the virus strain that causes COVID-19, while antibody testing revealed that six who had tested negative were likely previously infected with the virus.

The New York City Health Department had identified the 15 patients by contacting pediatric intensive care units in hospitals across the city over the past week.

"Only severe cases may have been recognized at this time," Daskalakis said.

A growing number of hospitals in the United States and Europe have reported similar cases, raising concerns of a new global pattern emerging of critically ill children with COVID-19.

[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:25 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Could we get that lucky? I might cut my right nut off for that.
I'm willing to sacrifice for the greater good, but come on, there's no way I'm giving up a nut...:-)
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:25 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
So people screaming at the inaccuracies of the COVID models and guestimates are going all in on the financial models and guestimates.

The questions are so much easier to ask and answer for a business. You know the costs to operate. You know the revenue needed to be profitable. From there it’s pretty easy to insert numbers to know if a business will succeed. So while not perfect the models are much more likely to be accurate because the inputs and formulas are so much easier.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:31 AM 05-05-2020
So people screaming at the inaccuracies of the COVID models and guestimates are going all in on the financial models and guestimates.
Except there is one significant difference. The projections for the economy have been far more accurate than the Covid models.

For example, a month ago there were projections that we would have upwards of 30+ mil out of work at this time. Where are we? There were projections that airline travel would drop by 90%+...where are we?

Granted it's a bit easier to forecast the economic impact than Covid and to a degree you are comparing apples to oranges.

That being said one has been a bit more consistent than the other. Just sayin....
[Reply]
Monticore 08:31 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Interesting observation.
Maybe it's my job that involves a lot of educated guessing that has made me more aware of it's limitations and realise that not all guessers are created equal.

Or just common sense.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:32 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
The questions are so much easier to ask and answer for a business. You know the costs to operate. You know the revenue needed to be profitable. From there it’s pretty easy to insert numbers to know if a business will succeed. So while not perfect the models are much more likely to be accurate because the inputs and formulas are so much easier.
There are a lot of ways to dissect this all but I can tell you this, I know of at least 3 local businesses shutting down for good because of Covid ( I am sure there are way more locally that I don't know about), I don't know a single person who has tested positive. Now I am not saying all those people will never find work again but small business goes under and large corporations survive which is the exact opposite of what we want.

Extrapolate that out to every single city in the US many times over.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:33 AM 05-05-2020
Maybe it's my job that involves a lot of educated guessing that has made me more aware of it's limitations and realise that not all guessers are created equal.

Or just common sense.
Well if you are trying to equate covid models to economic models I would say that is not using common sense at all.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:33 AM 05-05-2020
It is hard to predict if and when people will go back to normal , the same way it was to predict who would comply with the SIP policies , people are always an unknown. it is possible the margin for error might be smaller doesn't mean there isn't one.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:35 AM 05-05-2020
There's a bit of a difference in forecasting for a business and forecasting for the economy as a whole. After all, people are always pretty accurate in forecasting how the stock market is going to perform...

(And for the record, as the finance guy for our small business, I have no clue what 2 months from now is going to look like let alone a year from now.)
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:37 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
I'm willing to sacrifice for the greater good, but come on, there's no way I'm giving up a nut...:-)

You wouldn't sacrifice just one nut to go back to normal? :-)
[Reply]
Donger 08:42 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Except there is one significant difference. The projections for the economy have been far more accurate than the Covid models.
You mean the model of 60,000 to 80,000 dead?
[Reply]
Monticore 08:43 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Well if you are trying to equate covid models to economic models I would say that is not using common sense at all.
The economic damage could end up being worse than projected as well or the extent of economic damage from more deaths or having the hospitals work as they are now for longer there are a lot of moving parts.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 08:47 AM 05-05-2020
Well this sounds great.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-than-original
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:51 AM 05-05-2020
Paging that "Where's the Beef" lady...

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/us-...-20/index.html

Originally Posted by :
The national meat shortage is having a major effect on Wendy's, with one analyst estimating that nearly one in five of its restaurants are out of beef.

Around 1,000, or 18%, of Wendy's 5,500 US restaurants are not serving hamburgers or other meat-based items.

That's according to an analysis of online menus at every location conducted by financial firm Stephens. Wendy's is "more exposed" to the shortage sparked by the coronavirus pandemic because of its reliance on fresh beef compared to its competitors, the note said.

[Reply]
DaFace 08:52 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Well this sounds great.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-than-original
I guess the good news is that this isn't actually anything new - it's been around for a while now.

I do keep struggling with the "In addition to spreading faster, it may make people vulnerable to a second infection after a first bout with the disease," kinds of things. With ~3.5 million people infected worldwide (that we know of), you'd think there would be a large body of evidence if it were common for it to reinfect the same people twice.
[Reply]
Page 1867 of 3903
« First < 867136717671817185718631864186518661867 186818691870187118771917196723672867 > Last »
Up