ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 470 of 791
« First < 370420460466467468469470 471472473474480520570 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:55 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I don’t think it’ll be either of those guys, but we’re making a big move.
I like to hope too. :-)
[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 01:55 PM 03-13-2019
Mayfield.....

And I think that will be hilarious.
Mayfield made you look like a moron last season and you're still salty as **** about it :-)
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 01:57 PM 03-13-2019
Ramsey isnt realistic. They just signed Foles. They want to win.
Cardinals may trade PP but haven’t heard anything about it
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:57 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Even if they give Mahomes an extension next year, extensions get tacked onto existing deals. He would still be cheap for a couple years.

Same goes for Hill and Jones.
Depends.

Yes, you can structure them like that. Most do. But you can also load more money into the front to make the overall payment lower because a player is more willing to sign off on that given the immediate value of frontloaded money.

But Hill and Jones, OTOH, WILL be expensive by 2021. Those guys are going to be FA eligible next season. They'll sign extensions that 'start' in 2020 and even if you keep their base reasonable in year 1, the big money will hit in year 2. Can you convince them to push that off into year 3? Sure...for a price. You want to drive that AAV higher and/or give them even more guarantees that can blow up on you, that's an option available to you.

Now is the 'can vs. should' conversation that you have to have. Because lads - you're now doing things that can effectively wash out 3-4 seasons of Pat Mahomes career if they go sideways. You can have that guy running for his life with nothing to work with.

I simply don't think that's smart. Roster depth and a couple of key pieces is how you win a championship. You don't try to build super-teams because the NFL is specifically designed to discourage that. This league and this cap has built to deter teams from trying this kind of thing because the penalty on the backside is horrifying - it's 2-3 seasons spent wandering the wilderness while you hope you hit draft picks and clean your shit up.

It's just a real real REAL bad idea when you have a generational talent under center, IMO. Every single season of his career should be treated as precious and you don't risk throwing several of those away for a 2-3 year sprint. The league rules are designed expressly to make that a very painful proposition.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:58 PM 03-13-2019
I’d rather grab a couple of DEs in the draft and hope you hit on one.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:59 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Depends.

Yes, you can structure them like that. Most do. But you can also load more money into the front to make the overall payment lower because a player is more willing to sign off on that given the immediate value of frontloaded money.

But Hill and Jones, OTOH, WILL be expensive by 2021. Those guys are going to be FA eligible next season. They'll sign extensions that 'start' in 2020 and even if you keep their base reasonable in year 1, the big money will hit in year 2. Can you convince them to push that off into year 3? Sure...for a price. You want to drive that AAV higher and/or give them even more guarantees that can blow up on you, that's an option available to you.

Now is the 'can vs. should' conversation that you have to have. Because lads - you're now doing things that can effectively wash out 3-4 seasons of Pat Mahomes career if they go sideways. You can have that guy running for his life with nothing to work with.

I simply don't think that's smart. Roster depth and a couple of key pieces is how you win a championship. You don't try to build super-teams because the NFL is specifically designed to discourage that. This league and this cap has built to deter teams from trying this kind of thing because the penalty on the backside is horrifying - it's 2-3 seasons spent wandering the wilderness while you hope you hit draft picks and clean your shit up.

It's just a real real REAL bad idea when you have a generational talent under center, IMO. Every single season of his career should be treated as precious and you don't risk throwing several of those away for a 2-3 year sprint. The league rules are designed expressly to make that a very painful proposition.
Well put.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:59 PM 03-13-2019
Sure, but again - it's all about percentages.

I agree - it's probably 2021 that all these chickens come home to roost, but they WILL. That's exactly my point. You will have built a team that will be facing one of the worst cap situations in NFL history by 2021 because you're not going to be able to simply push cap anymore at those figures. Not with guys that have the negotiating leverage to demand significant guaranteed dollars.
Not sure I agree you have alot of these guys coming off the books in 3 years and they will all be around 30. Not only that but you have 4 top 100 picks this year, atleast 3 next year. I don't believe it's a dire situation unless Veach whiffs on these picks the next 2 years. If that's the case he's gone.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:59 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn:
Mayfield made you look like a moron last season and you're still salty as **** about it :-)
Just like Watson made everyone look like morons only to then regress in 2018?

I said Mayfield had a very good rookie year. The truth is he was 0-5 against playoff teams with a 14 ppg differential. He’s not like Mahomes in that he doesn’t transcend the young QB having early success only to regress after. He didn’t throw for 5,000 yards and 50+ TD’s and get to the AFCCG.

I need to see more, but I gave him his props.
[Reply]
O.city 02:00 PM 03-13-2019
Sure, but again - it's all about percentages.

I agree - it's probably 2021 that all these chickens come home to roost, but they WILL. That's exactly my point. You will have built a team that will be facing one of the worst cap situations in NFL history by 2021 because you're not going to be able to simply push cap anymore at those figures. Not with guys that have the negotiating leverage to demand significant guaranteed dollars.
Well, if it's gonna be bad then no matter what, may as well push in now while you can.

Seriously, they've got a year or 2 before it's gonna dry up with his extension.

This is why I argued that the year on the bench was killer for the rookie deal. That was a lost year.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:00 PM 03-13-2019
The interesting thing with the Browns will be if they can all co-exist together in that locker room with a rookie HC.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 02:00 PM 03-13-2019
Need to extend our stars ASAP. Hill is only getting more expensive once Thomas or Jones get raises. Jones’ price will go up if he has another great year. Mahomes of course too.

Get it done quick and save yourself some cap long term.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:02 PM 03-13-2019

Lions free-agent DE Ziggy Ansah is scheduled to visit Buffalo first, then New Orleans second, per source.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 13, 2019

[Reply]
staylor26 02:02 PM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
The interesting thing with the Browns will be if they can all co-exist together in that locker room with a rookie HC.
Anybody not seeing the potential for dissapointement and drama is too into the feel good story, because it’s absolutely there.
[Reply]
O.city 02:03 PM 03-13-2019
Depends.

The flip side though, is you never truly push in to win out of fear and end up with what, Dan Marino?

At some point, winning takes precedence right? I mean if not, whats the point?
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:03 PM 03-13-2019
Anybody not seeing the potential for dissapointement and drama is too into the feel good story.
Could turn out great....

Could end in a dumpster fire.
[Reply]
Page 470 of 791
« First < 370420460466467468469470 471472473474480520570 > Last »
Up