ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Divide deepens as House Speaker Ryan abandons Trump says every candidate for themselv
Dave Lane 07:37 AM 10-11-2016
With election day less than a month off, Republicans faced an extraordinary breach in party ranks Monday as House Speaker Paul D. Ryan declared he would no longer defend presidential nominee Donald Trump and instead focus on preserving the GOP’s majority in Congress.

Without formally withdrawing his endorsement, Ryan nonetheless delivered a stinging blow to Trump, urging Republican lawmakers in a conference call to do whatever they needed to win Nov. 8 — even if it meant cutting loose from the party’s national standard-bearer.

Ryan’s statements drew an immediate backlash, on Capitol Hill and at the party’s grass roots, as loyalists were stunned the top elected Republican in the country would abandon Trump at a time party leaders would normally be ramping up efforts to take back the White House.

Trump responded with a slap on Twitter. “Paul Ryan should spend more time on balancing the budget, jobs and illegal immigration and not waste his time on fighting Republican nominee,” Trump wrote.

Supporters, including some lawmakers who scolded Ryan during the private call, were equally aggrieved

Republican Party chairman reassures members: We're sticking by Trump

“What’s going on is our leadership panicked when there was a massive disclosure of a private conversation that Trump had 11 years ago in which he was grotesquely sexual and egotistical,” said Rep. Dana Rohrabacher of Huntington Beach, who called Ryan’s move cowardly.

“So, OK. That’s something of significance,” Rohrabacher said, sharing his account of the conversation in an interview afterward. But not, he went on, “as significant as the real issues that separate Hillary and Donald.”

“For us to try to undo what the Republican voters did in the primaries would be a betrayal to the Republican voters who made their choice,” Rohrabacher said.

The backbiting, a day after Trump and his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton waged a searing, insult-filled debate, underscored the bind facing the GOP and its leaders, who had come around to Trump’s candidacy with varying degrees of enthusiasm.

The choice amounts to rejecting the candidate selected by voters and risk the party’s base staying home out of pique, or continuing to embrace Trump — overlooking his offensive behavior — and possibly alienate women and other swing voters who can make a difference in close House and Senate contests.

“Republicans made a deal with the devil, and when you make a deal with the devil you end up in hell," said Rob Stutzman, a Republican strategist in Sacramento and longtime Trump critic.

Seeking to clamp down on speculation that the Republican National Committee was also primed to walk away from Trump, Chairman Reince Priebus told members the organization would continue to stand behind and work on behalf of the nominee through its "Victory" program, which aims to boost Republicans up and down the ticket.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:01 AM 10-11-2016
This is already being discussed in multiple threads, Loon.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:05 AM 10-11-2016
I don't buy in to what some commentators have suggested, when they've argued that this election could be the end of the GOP.

It's going to be veeeeeery interesting in 2020, though, as the GOP trots out a new stable of political talent for POTUS and every one of them has to defend how they stood by this guy for so long. Trump does have the ability to be a weight around the neck of the party, electorally, for the entirety of the Hillary Clinton administration.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 08:20 AM 10-11-2016
It's just Trump playing three dimensional "Operation"!! Gynecology version (grab dat pussy)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:33 AM 10-11-2016
FFS, post a link.
[Reply]
Fish 08:39 AM 10-11-2016

[Reply]
Donger 08:46 AM 10-11-2016
Trumpers: You need to support Trump to keep Hillary out of the WH!

Trumpers: Screw Ryan and the GOPe for not supporting Trump! We don't care about the Senate and maybe House going to the Dems!! Yeah! Get 'em!

:-)
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:50 AM 10-11-2016
Originally Posted by Donger:
Trumpers: You need to support Trump to keep Hillary out of the WH!

Trumpers: Screw Ryan and the GOPe for not supporting Trump! We don't care about the Senate and maybe House going to the Dems!! Yeah! Get 'em!

:-)
None of us say you need to do anything. Nice faceplant tho.

All we said is, you're on your own from here out. And mathematically that's a hopeless situation for you, which the GOPe knows, which is why they are too afraid to piss all of us off publicly.
[Reply]
Donger 08:55 AM 10-11-2016
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
None of us say you need to do anything. Nice faceplant tho.

All we said is, you're on your own from here out. And mathematically that's a hopeless situation for you, which the GOPe knows, which is why they are too afraid to piss all of us off publicly.
Not accurate. I've been told repeatedly that I should vote for Trump to prevent Clinton from winning.

As to being on my own from here out, that's perfectly acceptable to me and always has been, thanks.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:56 AM 10-11-2016
Ok, not sure why anyone would tell u what to do, that seems un-American to me. Just tell them that, and they will stop
[Reply]
Donger 08:57 AM 10-11-2016
Ok, not sure why anyone would tell u what to do, that seems un-American to me. Just tell them that, and they will stop
They are free to say whatever they want.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:59 AM 10-11-2016
They are free to say whatever they want.
Tell me when someone is ordering you around, and I'll take care of it for you.
[Reply]
Donger 09:05 AM 10-11-2016
Tell me when someone is ordering you around, and I'll take care of it for you.
Will do. I'll do the same when someone is being obvious and boring, too.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 09:09 AM 10-11-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
FFS, post a link.
Sorry on my phone about impossible to post the article. It's from LA times
[Reply]
Dave Lane 01:01 PM 10-11-2016
Will do. I'll do the same when someone is being obvious and boring, too.
You are going to report him to himself?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up