ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1230 of 2690
« First < 23073011301180122012261227122812291230 123112321233123412401280133017302230 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
rico 12:24 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by Best22:
My QB bitterness level is at 0...because we have Mahomes

No need to stress over Watson. If Mahomes is better, it will be proven. But if the Watson fans are right, then they’re right.
Yeah, mine is at 0 too. I don’t spend a lot of spare time stressing about him or anything.

Another big reason that I failed to mention above is that I just want to be right about it, I guess.

Petty shit, I know.
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:35 PM 10-27-2018
I just hate the bullshit line that a player who “knows how to win games” in college can use that as an appreciable skill in the pros.

Those are two entirely fucking different things, man. And you’d think people for whom understanding sports is their job (ex-players and successful journalists) would fucking understand that after awhile.

Take a look at the last several drafts. With the exception of Watson, who is the last 1st round guy who got taken in part because he was viewed as a “winner?”

Not anybody from 2018. Not Mahomes or Trubisky. Not Wentz or Goff.

Jameis Winston? And what about before him? Tim Tebow?

Yeah great fucking list!
[Reply]
Best22 12:37 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I just hate the bullshit line that a player who “knows how to win games” in college can use that as an appreciable skill in the pros.

Those are two entirely ****ing different things, man. And you’d think people for whom understanding sports is their job (ex-players and successful journalists) would ****ing understand that after awhile.

Take a look at the last several drafts. With the exception of Watson, who is the last 1st round guy who got taken in part because he was viewed as a “winner?”

Yeah great ****ing list!
Jake Coker won more games in a season than Mahomes won in his career

Dude willed his team to a win over Clemson. Draft him no.1!
[Reply]
KChiefs1 12:58 PM 10-27-2018

Those are two entirely fucking different things, man. And you’d think people for whom understanding sports is their job (ex-players and successful journalists) would fucking understand that after awhile.

Yeah great fucking list!

Keitzman is a big proponent of being a winner in college. :-)
[Reply]
rico 01:31 PM 10-27-2018

Those are two entirely ****ing different things, man. And you’d think people for whom understanding sports is their job (ex-players and successful journalists) would ****ing understand that after awhile.

Yeah great ****ing list!
I hate that line as well...dumb...

I don’t think the “winners” are a group of world beaters by any means, with a couple exceptions... here are past 1st round guys that come to mind that I think could probably fit that criteria...some of them may not have had that “he’s a winner” hype as much as the “he’s a great QB” hype, but all these 1st round QB’s played for college teams that were standout winners...and yeah, I’m probably missing a few:

Mayfield
Watson
Winston
Manziel
Cam
Jamarcus
Vince Young
Matt Lineart
Alex Smith
Carson Palmer
Ryan Leaf
Peyton
Rick Mirer
Kerry Collins
Rex Grossman
Brady Quinn
Sam Bradford
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:37 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by rico:
I hate that line as well...dumb...

I don’t think the “winners” are a group of world beaters by any means, with a couple exceptions... here are past 1st round guys that come to mind that I think could probably fit that criteria...some of them may not have had that “he’s a winner” hype as much as the “he’s a great QB” hype, but all these 1st round QB’s played for college teams that were standout winners...and yeah, I’m probably missing a few:

Mayfield
Watson
Winston
Manziel
Cam
Jamarcus
Vince Young
Matt Lineart
Alex Smith
Carson Palmer
Ryan Leaf
Peyton
Rick Mirer
Kerry Collins
Rex Grossman
Brady Quinn
Sam Bradford
Am I a Homer for believing I would still want Mahomes over any of those guys? Even Manning because he was such a dickhead. Mahomes has more Total Talent than any of them.
[Reply]
straycash 01:43 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by -King-:
So when the chiefs win the Superbowl one of these years, will you even celebrate "knowing" that the league rigged us to win?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes i will celebrate when the time comes, and unlike you won't be stressed out and having a heart attack, because it's fake as shit. Makes it easier on you when they lose also.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:47 PM 10-27-2018

Yeah great ****ing list!
Wentz was absolutely a winner. However, his talent was MUCH more important.
[Reply]
rico 01:49 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Am I a Homer for believing I would still want Mahomes over any of those guys? Even Manning because he was such a dickhead. Mahomes has more Total Talent than any of them.
If you are, I am as well. And I have been the opposite of homer for over a decade.

Manning really struggled as a rookie. 26 TD’s, 28 INT’s as a rookie. 26 TD’s, 15 INT’s as a 2nd year... dude progressively got better, which is fine... but the dude only had two seasons out of 17 years in the league where he put up numbers that are comparable to what Mahomes is on pace for in his first year as a starter... 2004: 49 TD’s and 10 INT’s and 2013: 55 TD’s 10 INT’s. Give Mahomes 17-18 seasons in the NFL and I’m sure he will put up multiple seasons like that. As mentioned, he’s on pace to this year...his first year as a starter...incredible.
[Reply]
rico 01:50 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Yeah, I left some guys out on accident...and I agree with you.
[Reply]
RealSNR 02:11 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
That's not why he was drafted or why he was talked about going so high, though. Teams liked his size, accuracy, and football intelligence. They drafted him 100% for his skills. His resume had very little to do with it, even if it was about as good as it could possibly be considering where he played (minus the injury issues).

With Jameis Winston, you had draft dudes constantly saying that dumbass cliche, "He's got it! He knows how to win games!" just like they did with Watson.

Rico brings up a great point, though. I completely forgot about Manziel. He's another guy drafted at least in part because some idiot GM watched Texas A&M win a bunch of close games through Manziel heroics and thought, "That's the kind of QB we need!"

Yeah, you need balance. And it's complicated-- it's always very complicated. You can't just draft raw dudes like Josh Allen with absolutely no consideration for whether or not the guy will be able to learn and develop. I think nearly everybody has agreed with that point for a long time now.

But I don't think enough people think the other way, and they really should. There are loads of Jeff Georges and Jamarcus Russells, but there are also occasionally some Patrick Mahomes and Jared Goffs to offset the failures.

When it comes to "winner" college QBs, I'd honestly say the success rate of those guys is far worse than the raw dudes. I think the data is pretty clear about it. And it still amazes me that there are still morons out there who think Watson knows some deep Illuminati secret to winning games that other QBs don't ever come across, all because he won big games in college.
[Reply]
In58men 04:31 PM 10-27-2018
Not gonna lie. We had a safety meeting about returning home safely everyday. The safety guy said you spend 3/4 of your day at work, where do you spend the other 1/4. I fucking yelled MAHOMES!!!!!!!

You had to be there to understand how awesome it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
FAX 05:05 PM 10-27-2018

[Reply]
RedRaider56 05:13 PM 10-27-2018

Yeah great ****ing list!
Baker Mayfield was deemed a "winner" for his time at OU
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:23 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
Baker Mayfield was deemed a "winner" for his time at OU
and I think Mayfield will be a fine NFL QB as well. However, the 'winner' label is being mis-applied I think; it's not how many games their team won in college, but how the player performed in the clutch. Lots of guys win just because their team is able to recruit better. How did they perform when the game was on the line, and they needed to score?

I think Watson's okay. I wouldn't trade Mahomes, or Wentz, or Goff, or even Mayfield for him as I think all of them have higher upside.

My theory is that at any point in time, there are 5 guys on the planet who can play QB in the NFL at an elite level. Some guys fall off the list due to age or injury, and some rise due to gaining experience and thus efficiency. Everybody else is just not there. I think Watson's ceiling is a solid second tier guy. I just don't see the physical talent (arm strength) to put him in the top 5. Doesn't mean you can't win with him, but you won't win multiple Super Bowls BECAUSE of him.
[Reply]
Page 1230 of 2690
« First < 23073011301180122012261227122812291230 123112321233123412401280133017302230 > Last »
Up