ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 70
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Rogue One Spoiler Thread
DaneMcCloud 08:16 PM 03-06-2016
There's quite a bit of info trickling out so its probably time to start a spoiler thread. I'll update with a trailer when it's available.

Trailer #1. This looks amazing!!! Darth Vader, The Emperor, Jyn (Rey's mother?), Forrest Whitaker, Donnie Yen and Alan Tudyk.

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:10 AM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Just put the crawl in. It's Star Wars, ffs.
They're going to get a ton of backlash if they don't, IMO.

Furthermore, if they leave it to the "Main Saga", does that mean that they plan for these movies to go on forever? I mean, there's so much more of the Star War galaxy to explore than just the Skywalker lineage.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 10:22 AM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
They're going to get a ton of backlash if they don't, IMO.

Furthermore, if they leave it to the "Main Saga", does that mean that they plan for these movies to go on forever? I mean, there's so much more of the Star War galaxy to explore than just the Skywalker lineage.
Spin-offs don't get a crawl. I'm fine with that. The crawl doesn't define a SW movie. Thirty minutes into the movie, I guarantee no one will care it didn't have a crawl.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:41 AM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Spin-offs don't get a crawl. I'm fine with that. The crawl doesn't define a SW movie. Thirty minutes into the movie, I guarantee no one will care it didn't have a crawl.
For me, it's essential. It won't feel like a Star Wars film without the John Williams scored opening fanfare and the crawl.

At that point, it's just another Sci Fi/Fantasy movie that takes place in the same galaxy, just like any other movie produced in this galaxy.

Blech.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 10:47 AM 07-19-2016
For me, it's essential. It won't feel like a Star Wars film without the John Williams scored opening fanfare and the crawl.

At that point, it's just another Sci Fi/Fantasy movie that takes place in the same galaxy, just like any other movie produced in this galaxy.

Blech.
..... which it basically is.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:51 AM 07-19-2016
What's more important: the visceral part of text scrolling from bottom to top or what's actually said within the text itself?
[Reply]
Red Brooklyn 11:06 AM 07-19-2016
No crawl and the lack of a John Williams fanfare will take away from the feeling that we're watching a Star Wars movie.

Even The Clone Wars series had a brief quote and a condensed version of the fanfare.
I'm not sure I completely agree but either way, I think that's okay. I'm fine with this and all the stand alone films feeling different or not feeling exactly like "a Star Wars movie."

This is a great chance to play with tone and voice and tell different kinds of stories. The crawl is a throwback to those old serials. It's a cute device but it seems silly when you're not in the middle of a saga. I don't really need the exposition.

Again, I'm not anti-crawl. If they do put it it, it's totally fine with me. But I don't need it. And I think this is a great opportunity to break away from that for future stand alone films.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:07 AM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn:
I'm not sure I completely agree but either way, I think that's okay. I'm fine with this and all the stand alone films feeling different or not feeling exactly like "a Star Wars movie."

This is a great chance to play with tone and voice and tell different kinds of stories. The crawl is a throwback to those old serials. It's a cute device but it seems silly when you're not in the middle of a saga. I don't really need the exposition.

Again, I'm not anti-crawl. If they do put it it, it's totally fine with me. But I don't need it. And I think this is a great opportunity to break away from that for future stand alone films.
The crawl and fanfare are what makes these films a part of the Star Wars Universe.

Without it, they're just movies.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:08 AM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
What's more important: the visceral part of text scrolling from bottom to top or what's actually said within the text itself?
For me, it's the visual experience tied to the Star Wars fanfare.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:09 AM 07-19-2016
..... which it basically is.
But it's not, especially if the film is set just before A New Hope, which will prominently feature Imperial Stormtroopers, Darth Vader, the Emperor and the Death Star, all of which are integral to the Star Wars Universe and story.
[Reply]
Red Brooklyn 11:11 AM 07-19-2016
The crawl and fanfare are what makes these films a part of the Star Wars Universe.

Yeah, I just don't feel the same way. If that's all these movies are then they're pretty hollow movies that don't deserve the longevity and love they've received.

For me, I guess maybe I don't care if "they're just movies" as long as they're good movies.

Things like The Force and the other pervailing iconography can more than carry the weight and make it "feel like a Star Wars movie" without the crawl.

I might be a little more married to the fanfare, though. I'll have to think about that for a bit. That might be weird. I don't know.

But I'm completely indifferent to the crawl.

If other fans NEED it, then keep it. Whatever. But it doesn't have an affect on me either way as it pertains to the movie and/or it's place in the Star Wars universe.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:13 AM 07-19-2016

I don't agree with your premise.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:14 AM 07-19-2016
But it's not, especially if the film is set just before A New Hope, which will prominently feature Imperial Stormtroopers, Darth Vader, the Emperor and the Death Star, all of which are integral to the Star Wars Universe and story.
It's a standalone film with some of the same characters and locations.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:15 AM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn:
Yeah, I just don't feel the same way. If that's all these movies are then they're pretty hollow movies that don't deserve the longevity and love they've received.

For me, I guess maybe I don't care if "they're just movies" as long as they're good movies.

Things like The Force and the other pervailing iconography can more than carry the weight and make it "feel like a Star Wars movie" without the crawl.

I might be a little more married to the fanfare, though. I'll have to think about that for a bit. That might be weird. I don't know.

But I'm completely indifferent to the crawl.

If other fans NEED it, then keep it. Whatever. But it doesn't have an affect on me either way as it pertains to the movie and/or it's place in the Star Wars universe.
I'd be more turned off at the fanfare blaring over the Rogue One title. That fanfare goes over the words STAR WARS.

This is not STAR WARS: Rogue One. It's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:19 AM 07-19-2016
Since they've used the crawl with just about everything audiovisually related to the IP, they're pretty much bound to stick with it.
[Reply]
Red Brooklyn 11:19 AM 07-19-2016
I'd be more turned off at the fanfare blaring over the Rogue One title. That fanfare goes over the words STAR WARS.

This is not STAR WARS: Rogue One. It's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
That makes sense to me, actually.

Yeah, I'm with you here, too.

Again, whatever ends up happing won't matter to me in the slightest (crawl/fanfare v no crawl/no fanfare) if the movie is good. And I fully expect it to be fantastic.

But if it were up to me, I think I'd go no crawl/fanfare for the stand alones.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 70
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Up