ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 51
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Media Center>Ed Harris takes Top villain role in HBOs "Westworld" reboot
Deberg_1990 03:51 PM 08-11-2014
Sweet. Loved this film when I was a kid. It's ripe for a reboot.

Doesn't sound like he's playing the Yul Brenner role though

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/11/ed-harris-westworld/

Image Credit: WireImage.com
Ed Harris is coming to series TV: The Abyss and Apollo 13 actor has signed on as the Big Bad in HBO’s Westworld reboot.
The four-time Oscar nominee’s character is called The Man in Black, and is described as “the distillation of pure villainy into one man.” He joins previously cast star — and fellow series television newcomer—Anthony Hopkins, along with Evan Rachel Wood, Jeffrey Wright, and Shannon Woodward.

The Warner Bros.-produced sci-fi pilot produced by J.J Abrams, Jerry Weintraub, and Bryan Burk updates Michael Crichton’s 1973 classic film about a theme park where androids fulfill dark human desires. Harris’ description might sound like he’s playing the Yul Brynner killer-cowboy robot role, but it seems like actor Rodrigo Santoro was tapped for that part—and online production rumors suggest The Man in Black is actually a human character who sadistically abuses the androids.

Harris will soon be seen the feature film Run All Night, starring opposite Liam Neeson and Joel Kinnaman. Harris won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Emmy for his work in HBO’s Game Change.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:45 AM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth:
How is the 2nd option not always the answer?

Exhibiting deception means that the new entity has already bitten from the apple and fallen.

I guess you can take consolation in the fact that it happened so quickly that we were predestined to fail and doomed from the start.

It is an interesting premise to present self awareness in an AI as a glitch, and the commentary as it translates to humanity and our relationship to nature, our environment, and one another.
OK, perhaps 'quandary' is an ill-fitted descriptor. The 2nd option is a more terrifying possibility, but it's not one generally countenanced when assessing the utility of benchmarks such as the Turing test.

That is, 'how disorienting to ponder that the thing we are most fearful of and vigilant against, might not even be the greatest threat we face. . . '
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 11:34 AM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
OK, perhaps 'quandary' is an ill-fitted descriptor. The 2nd option is a more terrifying possibility, but it's not one generally countenanced when assessing the utility of benchmarks such as the Turing test.

That is, 'how disorienting to ponder that the thing we are most fearful of and vigilant against, might not even be the greatest threat we face. . . '
Lots of big ideas. Fear of AI delves into our need for the illusion of control, and the question itself holds a mirror up to humanity and our capacity for good and evil. The duality of man is always a murky grey area.

No one knows what a digital sentient being would be drawn to. The altruistic better parts of our humanity or the craven vices of the worst of us. Of course, our worst traits are almost all born out of our primal base nature. How would an AI replicate those primordial basic instincts and evolutionary urges and impulses? The part of man not controlled by his prefrontal cortex.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 02:41 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
What is the significance of the bartender appearing to have black hair in the first episode but then having grey hair in the second episode? It looked like the same guy, just older.
i mentioned your thought to someone else

Originally Posted by :
"
If I recall correctly, it was the bartender that was reprogrammed to serve as Dolores's father near the end of the first episode. So the bartender in episode 2 was supposed to be a replacement."

[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:52 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
i mentioned your thought to someone else
I don't think the first bartender is her new father. He looked skinnier and with a smaller build than the bartender. It really looked like the exact same bartender in the episodes, just older. Am I wrong in that?
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 03:45 PM 10-13-2016
I don't think the first bartender is her new father. He looked skinnier and with a smaller build than the bartender. It really looked like the exact same bartender in the episodes, just older. Am I wrong in that?
I dunno, I didn't pay that close of attention to him.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:57 PM 10-13-2016

I'll rewatch it this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Lzen 10:13 AM 10-14-2016
I watched the first episode during the free preview of HBO this past weekend. Looked like a good show. I don't want to subscribe to HBO, though I am tempted. Any other way to watch?
[Reply]
Nirvana58 01:00 PM 10-14-2016
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I watched the first episode during the free preview of HBO this past weekend. Looked like a good show. I don't want to subscribe to HBO, though I am tempted. Any other way to watch?
1. Buy Amazon Fire Stick
2. Install Kodi on it
3. Watch any TV show or Movie for free
4. Cancel all Cable related bills
5. Profit

:-)
[Reply]
SAGA45 11:05 AM 10-15-2016
ReAnimator

Would You Rather

watch those two and appreciate the connection
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:06 AM 10-15-2016
Watched the first episode last night and was pretty spellbound.

Ed Harris' character is going somewhere interesting.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:13 AM 10-17-2016
In episode 3, can someone pay attention to Teddy/Marsden's dialog during the first gunfight for McPoyle?

Is it just me, or does his voice and accent sound overdubbed by Kevin Costner? Does Marsden always sound like Costner and I just don't notice?
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 09:02 AM 10-17-2016
Keep waiting for McPoyles brother and sister to show up in bath robes. Very distracting
[Reply]
BleedingRed 09:54 AM 10-17-2016
amazing show so far
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:10 PM 10-17-2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
unlurking 08:44 PM 10-17-2016
So was there a "hiccup" when Robert and Bernard were talking about Arnold's pyramid theory of bicameral mind? Or was it just my feed? I reversed back to 4:10 twice while watching (thinking I must have missed something) and the explanation of the pyramid hiccuped and played twice, each time. After ending the show, I reloaded and it didn't happen again. Probably wouldn't have noticed if not for the same glitch happening with Delores at the end.

Also, is the Man In Black actually Robert's old partner Arnold?
[Reply]
Page 6 of 51
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up