ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>Dave Chappelle: Stick & Stones on Netflix
WhawhaWhat 10:56 AM 08-29-2019
Just finished his new comedy special. He goes all in on Michael Jackson, metoo movement, LBGTQ community just in the first 15 minutes. He doesn't have anyone to answer to and you can tell.

Great special.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:27 AM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
'feels like a Cosby thing' is pretty strong language for debateable conduct that shouldn't be illegal or banworthy.
I'm using that example only to say when multiple people corroborate the same story, where there's smoke there's fire. Again, I don't think he should be banned let alone arrested. But do I get why people boycott him for being a total creep? Should his reputation be smeared? In this case, I get it.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 11:27 AM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Think it was baby Lee who showed the rotten tomatoes critic rating vs general public. That tells you everything you need to know. the extreme outrage is generally a small but extremely vocal few. But overall most still have a good sense of humor. Thankfully. Even better twist that Chapelle is pretty liberal and yet has pissed off the triggered few.
I agree, but it's another example of how 'critics' are completely out of touch.

There's this tiny group of twitterati clowns who are hyper offended in their wokeness, but the media (including critics) are just dominated by ideology. They can't set it aside and just enjoy something. Instead of treating them like the tiny hyper sensitive minority they are, the media constantly puts these ridiculous narratives front and center.

I don't personally KNOW anyone, including my many progressive friends, who disliked this special. The outrage is entirely created by media and the usual suspects on twitter. It's fake news. The truth is that it was pretty much universally enjoyed. Yet there were dozens of articles condemning it for 'woke' reasons within a day of it's release.

The joke police can go fuck themselves. XD
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:18 PM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I dunno on the CK thing. You are pressing a pretty fine edge when the narrative is that someone asks you to do something and you participate out of a vague sense of comparative power in your industry, particularly when it's as lone-wolf an industry as a travelling comic.

And the 'prosecution' of the matter is simply a change in the social currency of the individual in question.

This isn't a matter of coercion or quid pro quo, and we never got a forum where we actually delved into the specifics of what possible implicit or soft power CK may have exerted.

The whole thing stinks of excessive narrative construction after the fact.

Some see a powerful comic 'imposing' his good graces in order to engage in 'perverted' acts.

It is just as plausible to see a lonely schlub away from home reaching out to compatible colleagues for potential mutual release.
I don't want to derail a thread on Chappelle's excellent special over the Louis CK joke, but Dave is practically begging us to do so, so...

Anyway, whatever your interpretation of CK's events, here's what at least two female comedians admitted to doing, and what CK himself has admitted to happening:

He invited a female comedic duo into his place after a show, and they said yes because they admire his work and thought there was nothing suggestive about the suggestion. That it would in fact be socializing with a famous peer.

At some point, he whips out his penis without anything close to consent and masturbates in front of them. This was not invited in any way beforehand, and not welcomed in any way during the experience. They were disturbed and potentially scared -- the scared part is unclear, I don't remember if they said that. I believe they said they dropped out of comedy because of that experience.

So there's an argument I saw a lot on here on ChiefsPlanet that, unbelievably, pops up in Dave Chappelle's routine: "so, what, CK whips out his penis and masturbates and they didn't run to the door?"

That just shows an epic ignorance that dumb men have who have never been sexually assaulted.

If you are a woman, and a man whips his penis out without welcome, it is terrifying. It is completely unclear what the man intends or what he is capable of doing. But he's bigger than you, and he's stronger than you.

And there is no right response to that. Running to the door and potentially risking him chasing you is an option. So is staying calm and waiting the experience out, which is what they did. Now Dave fucking Chappelle is making their experience even more horrific by saying "c'mon, they didn't run, we didn't have to make their harassment sound worse than it was?"

Just a lazy, ignorant argument that you don't expect from Chappelle. You expect it from clueless male misogynists on an internet message board.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:10 PM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I don't want to derail a thread on Chappelle's excellent special over the Louis CK joke, but Dave is practically begging us to do so, so...

Anyway, whatever your interpretation of CK's events, here's what at least two female comedians admitted to doing, and what CK himself has admitted to happening:

He invited a female comedic duo into his place after a show, and they said yes because they admire his work and thought there was nothing suggestive about the suggestion. That it would in fact be socializing with a famous peer.

At some point, he whips out his penis without anything close to consent and masturbates in front of them. This was not invited in any way beforehand, and not welcomed in any way during the experience. They were disturbed and potentially scared -- the scared part is unclear, I don't remember if they said that. I believe they said they dropped out of comedy because of that experience.

So there's an argument I saw a lot on here on ChiefsPlanet that, unbelievably, pops up in Dave Chappelle's routine: "so, what, CK whips out his penis and masturbates and they didn't run to the door?"

That just shows an epic ignorance that dumb men have who have never been sexually assaulted.

If you are a woman, and a man whips his penis out without welcome, it is terrifying. It is completely unclear what the man intends or what he is capable of doing. But he's bigger than you, and he's stronger than you.

And there is no right response to that. Running to the door and potentially risking him chasing you is an option. So is staying calm and waiting the experience out, which is what they did. Now Dave ****ing Chappelle is making their experience even more horrific by saying "c'mon, they didn't run, we didn't have to make their harassment sound worse than it was?"

Just a lazy, ignorant argument that you don't expect from Chappelle. You expect it from clueless male misogynists on an internet message board.
So you admit there is a double standard then? If a chick brought dudes back to her room, and started banging herself. Nobody would give a shit.

Louey CK is apparently a very weird and creepy dude. But I agree with the poster who said if we place what Louey CK did in the same box as other sexual assaults it marginalizes those experiences. Huge difference between a rape and some guy jerking it.
[Reply]
Direckshun 02:15 PM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
So you admit there is a double standard then? If a chick brought dudes back to her room, and started banging herself.
Uhhhh no. If the woman did that and the man did not invite her to and did not welcome her and is offended by it, yeah. It's wrong. Less people would probably be upset about it, because there's not a millenia-old precedent of women ensnaring men and subjecting them to abuse against their will, but if that's what happened, then that's totally wrong. Who would even argue that?
[Reply]
BWillie 02:28 PM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Uhhhh no. If the woman did that and the man did not invite her to and did not welcome her and is offended by it, yeah. It's wrong. Less people would probably be upset about it, because there's not a millenia-old precedent of women ensnaring men and subjecting them to abuse against their will, but if that's what happened, then that's totally wrong. Who would even argue that?
I don't quite agree. There IS a double standard. And I'm okay with that. If gender roles were reversed, nobody would care. In fact, guys would brag to their friends about it. Some chick they didn't like tried to bang themselves in front of them. They would think it was the coolest thing ever. But if you heard your daughter encountered a creepy dude like Louey CK, you would feel completely different. I don't know why we shy away from there being a double standard. There absolutely is.

What Louey CK did was wrong, but how egregious something is is very important. Everything in life is not black or white, even though we try to make it out to be like that. There are shades and degrees of good and bad. Some things are much worse than others.

I think Joe Rogan had a bit that summed it up pretty well quite a bit in his "Dude, You're going to be Batman" part on Triggered.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up