ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 28 of 202
« First < 182425262728 293031323878128 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
O.city 08:54 AM 10-09-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The issue with astroturf wasn't even really the turf, it was the underlayment which sometimes was freaking bare concrete. LOL

Field turf, pelletized rubber, it feels so much like natural sod without any of the hassles.
Yeah, the only issue I've seen with the new stuff is it doesn't give way like grass so a lot of stuck cleats could lead to knee issues.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:01 AM 10-09-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah, the only issue I've seen with the new stuff is it doesn't give way like grass so a lot of stuck cleats could lead to knee issues.
Wear different shoes.

Turf shoes dig into that stuff well for the purposes of cutting but with the more frequent, shorter spikes, they'll still release well if someone rolls up on you.

Now I have no earthly idea if they still behave if the field is wet, but if you're working on regular field turf with fair weather, slap on some turf shoes and your knee issues shouldn't be any worse than they might be on grass.
[Reply]
MIAdragon 09:05 AM 10-09-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Berry was never PUP eligible because he practiced day 1 in training camp.

FFS people.
Yea that wasn’t calculated or anything.
[Reply]
King_Chief_Fan 09:27 AM 10-09-2018
Originally Posted by FAX:
They've given him a sideline notepad and a pencil, too.

FAX
They need to give him a ticket to retirement.
Like J. Charles, Berry is done
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:32 AM 10-09-2018
Originally Posted by MIAdragon:
Yea that wasn’t calculated or anything.
By him you mean? I don't see it.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 01:14 PM 10-09-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I'm at a complete loss as to what that has to do with anything. That makes zero sense.
Did you not just accuse a poster of absurdity, believing that there was more than meets the eye to this situation? That the Chiefs and/or Berry might not be disclosing the full details of this matter?

You did. So, I pointed out that said poster( and anyone else following this situation with skepticism )has every viable reason to "read too much in to this" based upon past dealings with Berry, his agent, and the front office.
A horrible and damaging contract was negotiated and signed-off on by the ownership of this franchise contrary to the sound advice of the teams GM( the man who was hired to handle these responsibilities ).The Chiefs GM was relieved of duty and says nothing to anyone regarding the details of his departure, and when the smoke clears months later, we find out that said GM was only trying to protect the franchise from a potentially devastating and cap-demolishing contract with a player who has shown little gratitude( and even less production since said contract was signed )to the franchise who treated him like family and not a number during his time of need.

Whatever the final case may be, I'm over it. No defensive player is worth all of this nonsense. If he can't get on the field this season and stay there, I'd just as soon draft his replacement or acquire him in FA.
I'm a fan of Berry the player and his story is incredible. That said, it's no longer enough.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:24 AM 10-12-2018
IF Eric Berry is done then I want to trade for this guy:

Originally Posted by :
Green Bay Packers: S Josh Jones

It's likely too early for the Green Bay Packers to give up on Josh Jones, but the second-year safety has played only four defensive snaps and 33 snaps on special teams in 2018.

Jones accumulated 56 solo tackles, five pass breakups, two sacks and one interception during his rookie campaign in 2017. But defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who took over for Dom Capers over the offseason, doesn't seem the slightest bit interested in plugging the North Carolina State product into his lineup.

According to Michael Cohen of The Athletic, Pettine views Jones as a nickel or dime linebacker as well as a box safety. In today's league, where linebacker-safety hybrids have significant roles in sub-packages, the coaching staff has overlooked a potential contributor.

If Green Bay doesn't plan on developing Jones into a quality defender, it should send him elsewhere. A number of general managers would undoubtedly love the opportunity to work with the 24-year-old.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...every-nfl-team
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 09:27 AM 10-12-2018
Originally Posted by RunKC:

Green Bay loves draft picks....so offer a 5th round pick and see if they bite. If they aren't playing him they may not care.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 09:28 AM 10-12-2018
Let's not worry about replacing Eric Berry until we find a way to get that useless motherfucker off the team.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:29 AM 10-12-2018

Send them Spencer Ware. They need an actual fucking RB.
[Reply]
Rausch 09:30 AM 10-12-2018
As an internet researcher (and keyboard warrior) I'd prefer to have the surgery. Pull the tendon and shave down the bone and give up on him for this year.

It's that or leave it alone and it can go away or get worse.

Just me but I'd prefer to be proactive and give up this season to have him back the next...
[Reply]
Rausch 09:31 AM 10-12-2018
Originally Posted by The Pest:
Send them Spencer Ware.
You shut your WHORE MOUTH! :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:36 AM 10-12-2018

YES.

Had no idea they were soured on Jones. Would love to have him.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:38 AM 10-12-2018

If you go off of that article.....here are the players we should be interested in.

Chicago Bears: ILB Nick Kwiatkoski
Philadelphia Eagles: OG Chance Warmack
Washington Redskins: ILB Zach Vigil
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:39 AM 10-12-2018
Originally Posted by The Pest:
If you go off of that article.....here are the players we should be interested in.

Chicago Bears: ILB Nick Kwiatkoski
Philadelphia Eagles: OG Chance Warmack
Washington Redskins: ILB Zach Vigil
Jones or Warmack, yes.

Other 2, no.
[Reply]
Page 28 of 202
« First < 182425262728 293031323878128 > Last »
Up