ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Media Center>Breaking Bad: The Movie
Third Eye 03:32 PM 08-23-2019
Admittedly, I don’t keep up with pop culture much, but how did I not know that a Breaking Bad movie was coming? I’m also surprised that given its popularity a thread hadn’t already been started.

Here’s a nice summary for all the luddites like me that didn’t know this was coming:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...455959%3famp=1

Hopefully they don’t shit on their legacy.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:55 PM 10-28-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Man. That was a waste of time.

2 hours to do EXACTLY what we all assumed he'd do anyway. And Todd was just distracting. It was just a 2 hour collection of callbacks that didn't add to the story in any way.

Just disappointing as hell.
Not trying to be an asshole, but what were you expecting?
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 05:20 PM 10-28-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Hence it's necessary to binge season 5 to truly get the movie, or you'll be disappointed because nothing new is added.
[Reply]
Sorry 08:22 PM 10-28-2019
Man. That was a waste of time.

2 hours to do EXACTLY what we all assumed he'd do anyway. And Todd was just distracting. It was just a 2 hour collection of callbacks that didn't add to the story in any way.

Just disappointing as hell.
It was made for the fans and to give Jessie a proper send off. I would’ve liked if it was made sooner
[Reply]
BWillie 08:59 PM 10-28-2019
Breaking Bad: Alaskan Ice 2030

Jesse Pinkston manufacturers hot new drug with Walt Jr. Sells snow to Eskimos.
[Reply]
-King- 11:51 PM 10-28-2019
Something meaningful?

I think if the movie was going to hinge on Jesse going to Alaska just because Mike said that's where he would go, it should have shown Jesse in Alaska and him trying to start a new life there and him trying to adjust to life away from being a meth dealer/hostage.

The movie basically didn't really show or tell anything that the ending of the show didn't. The same "ok and then what happened?" feeling that spurred this movie is the same feeling that still exists now that Jesse is in Alaska.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 07:48 AM 10-29-2019
Well if you're gonna have Todd show up, maybe pump the brakes on shooting as quickly as possible and put the !@#$ing guy on a Keto diet so as not to be distracting as hell.

And maybe don't make the central conflict between Pinkman and the eraser (and a bullshit conflict at that; no, he's not gonna take $0 instead of $248K). Do a time jump if you need to and show us how Pinkman's settling in - that's a truly worthwhile send-off for Jesse.

BB was never about pacing or action to begin with and I LOVE Better Call Saul, which is a slow burn on its best days. But 45 minutes into that show we'd effectively accomplished nothing. And the last 45 minutes was nonsense because again - $1,800 !@#$ing dollars wasn't going to make a difference there, not if the eraser was willing to give him the $125K he was 'owed' back if/when he didn't come up with the full $250K. Either he's principled about it (You owe me this and I'm keeping it) or he's not - in which case it's a bargaining chip and $248k would've done the job.

It was bad. It was WELL beneath the standard I'd come to expect from Gilligan. It was nothing but ham-fisted nostalgia and inexplicable narrative/plot devices.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:28 PM 10-29-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
Something meaningful?

I think if the movie was going to hinge on Jesse going to Alaska just because Mike said that's where he would go, it should have shown Jesse in Alaska and him trying to start a new life there and him trying to adjust to life away from being a meth dealer/hostage.

The movie basically didn't really show or tell anything that the ending of the show didn't. The same "ok and then what happened?" feeling that spurred this movie is the same feeling that still exists now that Jesse is in Alaska.
I'm not sure you and I even watched the same thing.

Exactly like Breaking Bad isn't about making meth, it is about the journey these really fleshed out characters go on, this is about Jesse becoming the guy that got Todd's gun and then gave it back to him, to a dude that will do what the fuck ever it takes, including get into a shootout for $1800, to change his circumstance.

Additionally there is a lot of exploration into the effects of his being held against his will.

If all you got out of that was "Jesse went to Alaska" then why did you watch BB in the first place?
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:34 PM 10-29-2019
Well if you're gonna have Todd show up, maybe pump the brakes on shooting as quickly as possible and put the !@#$ing guy on a Keto diet so as not to be distracting as hell.

And maybe don't make the central conflict between Pinkman and the eraser (and a bullshit conflict at that; no, he's not gonna take $0 instead of $248K). Do a time jump if you need to and show us how Pinkman's settling in - that's a truly worthwhile send-off for Jesse.

BB was never about pacing or action to begin with and I LOVE Better Call Saul, which is a slow burn on its best days. But 45 minutes into that show we'd effectively accomplished nothing. And the last 45 minutes was nonsense because again - $1,800 !@#$ing dollars wasn't going to make a difference there, not if the eraser was willing to give him the $125K he was 'owed' back if/when he didn't come up with the full $250K. Either he's principled about it (You owe me this and I'm keeping it) or he's not - in which case it's a bargaining chip and $248k would've done the job.

It was bad. It was WELL beneath the standard I'd come to expect from Gilligan. It was nothing but ham-fisted nostalgia and inexplicable narrative/plot devices.
I just have to disagree here. Not with the Keto diet, do the Keto diet for Christ sakes.

The central conflict, IMO, is very much between the character Jesse was and who he must become. That's why they spent so much time on the flashback, so as to establish as stark of contrast as possible to present day.

Much like BB isn't about the believably of making meth in an RV, a giant lab in a laundromat, laundering money through a car wash, or robbing a train, this isn't about how probable his escape from Albuquerque. Both stories are an examination of how characters respond to a set of circumstances.

That's what all this has been all along. Better Call Saul too.

In my opinion anyway.
[Reply]
-King- 04:42 PM 10-29-2019
I'm not sure you and I even watched the same thing.

Exactly like Breaking Bad isn't about making meth, it is about the journey these really fleshed out characters go on, this is about Jesse becoming the guy that got Todd's gun and then gave it back to him, to a dude that will do what the fuck ever it takes, including get into a shootout for $1800, to change his circumstance.

Additionally there is a lot of exploration into the effects of his being held against his will.

If all you got out of that was "Jesse went to Alaska" then why did you watch BB in the first place?
Neither of those events are all that significant especially when one was during a flashback and not part of the adventure Jesse had after he escaped. That shooting scene was the stupidest thing Vince Gilligan has ever come up with in any of his shows.

And I watched BB because it told a great story. El Camino didn't.
[Reply]
Third Eye 05:40 PM 10-29-2019
Neither of those events are all that significant especially when one was during a flashback and not part of the adventure Jesse had after he escaped. That shooting scene was the stupidest thing Vince Gilligan has ever come up with in any of his shows.

Unequivocally false. Having Gus walk out of Hector’s room and then straighten his tie with half a face was easily the dumbest. It was just fucking cartoonishly awful.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:39 PM 10-29-2019

The story was secondary to the character study IMO. The complexity and nuance in the characters was the true art.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:49 AM 10-30-2019
I just have to disagree here. Not with the Keto diet, do the Keto diet for Christ sakes.

The central conflict, IMO, is very much between the character Jesse was and who he must become. That's why they spent so much time on the flashback, so as to establish as stark of contrast as possible to present day.

Much like BB isn't about the believably of making meth in an RV, a giant lab in a laundromat, laundering money through a car wash, or robbing a train, this isn't about how probable his escape from Albuquerque. Both stories are an examination of how characters respond to a set of circumstances.

That's what all this has been all along. Better Call Saul too.

In my opinion anyway.
What did we learn about Jesse in those flashbacks that we didn't already know? We knew he was a servile puppy dog who seemed desperate for any kind of mentor figure and who was shockingly easily manipulated. That was a 5 year character arc made obvious by the fact that he called Walter "Mr. White" through the end and was played like a fiddle all the way through.

What did I get from an hour burned watching Fat Jesse be weird or largely irrelevant dialogue with Jessica Jones? That was PURE fan service and did nothing to demonstrate his character either before or after. We KNEW his character. And it's not even all that believable that literally overnight he would become a completely different person (if he even was). That's why I suggested the time jump. The idea that you can discern luck from skill by it's duration applies here - this was all within like 72 hours of the end of BB - it tells us effectively nothing about the long-term outlook of Jesse Pinkman.

Even the brief scene with Mike was nothing more than the 'seed' that Gilligan had planted in a dozen interviews after the show's original run; yes, we knew Jesse was going to Alaska.

It was essentially fan fiction put on tape and far beneath the level of the storytelling I've come to expect from this crew.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:28 AM 10-30-2019
What did we learn about Jesse in those flashbacks that we didn't already know? We knew he was a servile puppy dog who seemed desperate for any kind of mentor figure and who was shockingly easily manipulated. That was a 5 year character arc made obvious by the fact that he called Walter "Mr. White" through the end and was played like a fiddle all the way through.

What did I get from an hour burned watching Fat Jesse be weird or largely irrelevant dialogue with Jessica Jones? That was PURE fan service and did nothing to demonstrate his character either before or after. We KNEW his character. And it's not even all that believable that literally overnight he would become a completely different person (if he even was). That's why I suggested the time jump. The idea that you can discern luck from skill by it's duration applies here - this was all within like 72 hours of the end of BB - it tells us effectively nothing about the long-term outlook of Jesse Pinkman.

Even the brief scene with Mike was nothing more than the 'seed' that Gilligan had planted in a dozen interviews after the show's original run; yes, we knew Jesse was going to Alaska.

It was essentially fan fiction put on tape and far beneath the level of the storytelling I've come to expect from this crew.
I think all that you describe is why it was a made for Netflix movie and not a series. The goal was to close a lot of loops and give a little boost to some side characters, and I'd say it did a good job of that. Todd's character stufy as a subtle sociopath was well done. Skinny Pete and Ed the vacuum guy were good character boosts. Even Mike and walts brief vignettes were subtly solid. I didn't love the kandy story arc but otherwise I'd call the movie not great, but satisfying enough. I don't think anybody was ready or interested in a slow burn or suspenseful send off. Just quick closure and this did that fine enough.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:04 PM 10-30-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I think all that you describe is why it was a made for Netflix movie and not a series. The goal was to close a lot of loops and give a little boost to some side characters, and I'd say it did a good job of that. Todd's character stufy as a subtle sociopath was well done. Skinny Pete and Ed the vacuum guy were good character boosts. Even Mike and walts brief vignettes were subtly solid. I didn't love the kandy story arc but otherwise I'd call the movie not great, but satisfying enough. I don't think anybody was ready or interested in a slow burn or suspenseful send off. Just quick closure and this did that fine enough.
Bingo.

I would have been upset if Netflix hyped an 8 episode mini-series for a year with the promise that it was centered on Jesse with an "explosive ending" and this was ultimately the story that was told. But, there was little to no hype or expectation on this, we didn't even have confirmation it was happening until a month before its release. It kept expectations low, and it was a story that did not at all need to be told, but I still loved my two hours back in the universe.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:27 PM 10-30-2019

The part with Krysten Ritter was, yes, fan service but it did serve the purpose of showing his transformation. Initially he was believing her initial comment of you go where the universe takes you or whatever, and by the end, he realized that was fucking hogshit. That's a central premise to the story being told here.

The story is very much his transformation from who he was at the end of BB to who he is in Alaska, and those two dudes are massively different dudes. Yes, it had the feel of a BB episode and yes, there was fan service for all those characters, but this wasn't just an extension of old Jesse. It starts 10 minutes after Jesse gets out of the cage, so he's essentially that Jesse and ends up with a dude that did a massive amount of hardship that was necessary to get himself out. In the series he had opportunities to just that, when it would have been far easier to pull off, when the movie ended, he did whatever it took to get it done. That's a hell of a transformation if there has ever been one, man.

Yes it looked and sounded like BB. Yes there was fan service, but it was in there to help tell the story of Jesse's transformation - which is significant. (I'll concede your point on Mike, that wasn't necessary, but I'm glad it was in there). The story isn't "well let's throw some more BB shit at the wall for the sake of BB. This story is very much Jesse departing who he was in the series, to the guy who he was when he got the fuck out.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Up