ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Media Center>Deadwood
keg in kc 06:33 PM 07-25-2018
Movie's finally filming this fall. No, seriously. They're actually doing it after talking about it for two years.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/again...happening.html
[Reply]
Halfcan 09:31 AM 06-21-2019
Deadwood will be riding again- most of the original cast still living will be back.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:37 AM 06-21-2019
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Deadwood will be riding again- most of the original cast still living will be back.
As a non-watcher of the series that movie they made was unwatchable. I got 20 minutes in and shut off the TV.

Was the movie good for you series watchers?
[Reply]
Fishpicker 03:12 PM 06-21-2019
yeah. it felt like a long episode. its just a bunch of fancy cussing.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 08:30 PM 06-21-2019
Yeah - I loved the series and it pissed me off when they abruptly ended it. I was glad as hell that they finished it off in fine fashion after these years.

If you've never watched the entire run, I highly recommend it. Ian McShane is well worth the price of admission. The dialogue takes a little getting used to (ala old world) but damn they delivered it well.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:50 PM 06-22-2019
Hee!!
Attached: Deadwood.jpg (23.6 KB) 
[Reply]
FAX 12:44 AM 06-23-2019
I don't follow, Mr. Baby Lee.

Am I supposed to know those peckerwoods? Are they famous guest stars? Are they members of the avant-garde, experimental, jug and jaw-harp band known as "Hee"?

FAX
[Reply]
FAX 12:47 AM 06-23-2019
I wish Deadwood had lasted 140 years. Best series ever. Better than X-files. Better than Seinfeld. Better than M.A.S.H. Better even than "Have Gun Will Travel" (which is hard to be).

FAX
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:06 PM 06-23-2019
Originally Posted by FAX:
I don't follow, Mr. Baby Lee.

Am I supposed to know those peckerwoods? Are they famous guest stars? Are they members of the avant-garde, experimental, jug and jaw-harp band known as "Hee"?

FAX
Pretty sure that one on the right is Garrett Dillahunt, who famously played two different key parts in the original Deadwood. He first played Jack McCall, who killed Wild Bill Hicock, then came back as bad guy Francis Walcott. He's presently on Fear the Walking Dead where he worked with 'Joanie Stubbs' until she was written out.

I imagine they gave him an extra role as an Easter Egg.

[Reply]
FAX 08:42 PM 06-23-2019
LOL ... okay ...

That's not obscure or anything.

But it's all good. I'm going to "Hee" right along with you because it seems like the right thing to do in this circumstance.

FAX
[Reply]
cosmo20002 10:52 PM 06-23-2019
Deadwood 1st season: Greatness
2nd season: Very good
3rd season: I liked the first two seasons, so I guess I should finish this

Movie: Seems like main a plot that would have carried out over a season, but they cut out any side-stories and boiled it down to 2 hours.
Good, not great--about what I'd expect from a series-turned-movie. People always have way too high expectations for these things. Fun to see pretty much all the old characters, even some that appeared only occasionally.
[Reply]
The Bunk 11:30 AM 06-24-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Pretty sure that one on the right is Garrett Dillahunt, who famously played two different key parts in the original Deadwood. He first played Jack McCall, who killed Wild Bill Hicock, then came back as bad guy Francis Walcott. He's presently on Fear the Walking Dead where he worked with 'Joanie Stubbs' until she was written out.

I imagine they gave him an extra role as an Easter Egg.
It's definitely him. I had to pause and rewind at that moment. Confirmed via IMDB.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 02:05 PM 06-24-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Hee!!

Yep! I liked the way the did that. Garret Dilahunt played several roles during the series, it was only fitting that they bring him back for the last hurrah also. :-)
[Reply]
Lzen 08:33 AM 06-25-2019
I watched it last night. I have never seen the series. Not that I didn't want to, I just never wanted to pay for a subscription to HBO. I thought the movie was decent. It is a little odd how everyone cusses a lot. That just doesn't seem right to me. And the dialogue was a little strange at times. But overall, I enjoyed it.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 09:43 AM 06-25-2019
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I watched it last night. I have never seen the series. Not that I didn't want to, I just never wanted to pay for a subscription to HBO. I thought the movie was decent. It is a little odd how everyone cusses a lot. That just doesn't seem right to me. And the dialogue was a little strange at times. But overall, I enjoyed it.

Yeah, for the person who hasn't watched the series it is a tad confusing. Milch wrote the script to mimic an early era victorian Shakespeare play (sort of). I don't care for the constant cursing - bit honestly, I don't believe it would have been as powerful without it.

What I did, however like, was that the show allowed the characters to "let everything go" and act. Ian McShane (in my opinion) is one of the finest Actors alive today and "Deadwood" proves it. It is rough, crude and sometimes hilarious....I would highly encourage you to purchase the series and watch it from the beginning.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:16 PM 06-25-2019
Originally Posted by Lzen:
The language is a bit stilted and blue, but Milch justifies it, or at least tries, historically.

In frontier [lawless] lands, with tons of strangers and riches at stake, your stock in trade was your vocabulary. People trended to the flowery to imbue themselves with a sense of education and sophistication, and people trended to the blue to imbue themselves with a sense of badassery.

Basically, the language of Deadwood was how potentially hostile strangers established quickly that they are smart and tough.

Also, the guttural nature of cursing was considered effective in managing livestock. ie, if you were manning a wagon train, or finagling some draft horses, 'stop motherfucker' and a few snaps of the reins got more results than a gentle whickering and gentle shake.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up