ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 400 of 2686
« First < 300350390396397398399400 4014024034044104505009001400 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:10 AM 08-09-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Maybe i'm reading this wrong, but i believe Dane is merely saying that Mahomes shouldn't see snaps with the 1st unit. And I agree.
Well that's not the point he's arguing against. And when he argues that Smith needs to be developing chemistry with guys that are 2 and 3 on the depth chart and noting instances of failures that resulted from poor chemistry between the starting QB and his 3rd string RB, his argument goes further still.

I'd be fine with Mahomes not getting many/any reps with the 1s. I'd also be fine with him getting a series or two. Either position has some merit.

But just shitting on the idea that Mahomes should get a lot of snaps this pre-season is absurd.

If his point is that Mahomes shouldn't get snaps with the 1s, he should make it better.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:13 AM 08-09-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And no, the QB will never develop chemistry with his 3rd string tailback - no amount of re-allocating reps will change the fact that when your 1 and 2 RBs goes down, you're in a bit of a bind. I definitely wouldn't be taking developmental reps away from my QBOTF out of concern for that eventuality.
He may not develop a chemistry with West or Spiller but the fact that he's reading the progressions, finding open receivers and reading the defense is extremely important for him, regardless of whether or not it's the 1's, 2's or 3's.

In either event, I believe 6 quarters worth of snaps is probably Smith's outer bound. Now I'm not sure I'd give Mahomes a majority of snaps, but I wouldn't have a problem with a plurality of them.
A lot of snaps? Sure. But I think what Reid is doing Game 1 of the preseason is allowing each QB to get their feet wet. Mahomes has never played against NFL talent in a live game, Bray's had very little experience and as far as I know, Stave has even less experience than Bray.

I don't care if Stave never sees the field and if Mahomes ends up getting a few more reps than Smith, I'm fine with that as well. Smith's been in this offense for 4+ years now; there are no new installs for him. Anything added will be on a week by week basis.
I've never seen Stave play before, so it'll be interesting to me to see what he brings, since the Chiefs signed him to the PS during the 2016 and signed him in 2017.

That said, if by game three, Mahomes has clearly won the #2 gig, then I'd be more than fine with Smith playing the first half and Mahomes the entire second half and in game four, no Smith at all.

The plan for Mahomes should be having him ready to start in 2018 - that plan should include as many reps as practical in the '17 pre-season. If that means a few more than Smith gets, I see no issue with that.
It depends, IMO, on just how many more reps he receives than Smith and at what point in the game. Guys like Justin Houston, Tamba Hali, Eric Berry and Smith himself aren't playing for 2018 and I seriously doubt that Andy Reid is, either.

Giving noticeably more snaps to Mahomes than Smith sends a mixed message for 2017.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:15 AM 08-09-2017

But just shitting on the idea that Mahomes should get a lot of snaps this pre-season is absurd.
That wasn't my interpretation of his posts, but like i said, maybe im reading it wrong. And yes, i agree that Mahomes should be getting as much live-action as possible. And I fully expect he will.

We've been watching the NFL long enough to know how these things go. The "veteran" back up will get the nod and rookie will have to "prove" it. The veteran will eventually give way to the rookie before TC/Preseason is over.

Same ol' song and dance year after year. The coach speak fools no one.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:20 AM 08-09-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

It depends, IMO, on just how many more reps he receives than Smith and at what point in the game. Guys like Justin Houston, Tamba Hali, Eric Berry and Smith himself aren't playing for 2018 and I seriously doubt that Andy Reid is, either.

Giving noticeably more snaps to Mahomes than Smith sends a mixed message for 2017.
Mahomes will naturally get more snaps. I'd be surprised if Smith gets more than a series in game 1. I know Reid says a quarter for each, but i have a hard time believing that, especially if Smith sees early success.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:24 AM 08-09-2017
Mahomes will naturally get more snaps. I'd be surprised if Smith gets more than a series in game 1. I know Reid says a quarter for each, but i have a hard time believing that, especially if Smith sees early success.
Sure but he doesn't need to get as many or more than Smith with the 1's.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:26 AM 08-09-2017
Sure but he doesn't need to get as many or more than Smith with the 1's.
Oh, of course. I don't expect he'll see ANY snaps with the 1's. I'm fine with that. He doesn't need to.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:27 AM 08-09-2017
He may not develop a chemistry with West or Spiller but the fact that he's reading the progressions, finding open receivers and reading the defense is extremely important for him, regardless of whether or not it's the 1's, 2's or 3's.

A lot of snaps? Sure. But I think what Reid is doing Game 1 of the preseason is allowing each QB to get their feet wet. Mahomes has never played against NFL talent in a live game, Bray's had very little experience and as far as I know, Stave has even less experience than Bray.

I've never seen Stave play before, so it'll be interesting to me to see what he brings, since the Chiefs signed him to the PS during the 2016 and signed him in 2017.

That said, if by game three, Mahomes has clearly won the #2 gig, then I'd be more than fine with Smith playing the first half and Mahomes the entire second half and in game four, no Smith at all.

I can see your point Dane. I'm wondering why though. Alex has been with Conley and Wilson multiple years and Tyreek 1. Has that not been enough time to develop chemistry? Alex also had OTA's and training camp practice to get chemistry with new receivers like Robinson and Escobar.

I personally would like Mahomes to get more PT than Alex, but later in the game. Stave doesn't deserve an entire quarter.
I want to get our 1st rd investment as much experience as possible in games that don't matter.
[Reply]
JDKinman 11:28 AM 08-09-2017
Originally Posted by milkman:
And they came to this conclusion after watching him practice against 3rd and 4th stringers?
Ha! Defensive third and fourth-stringers in the NFL are still considerably better than starters in the Big-12. :-)

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
After watching him at Tech, it seems he's used to playing behind spotty OL's.
He was also used to running for his life. His BIGGEST adjustment may be in grasping the concept that he actually has time to look the field over and pick his receiver. LOL!

JD
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:30 AM 08-09-2017
Well that's not the point he's arguing against. And when he argues that Smith needs to be developing chemistry with guys that are 2 and 3 on the depth chart and noting instances of failures that resulted from poor chemistry between the starting QB and his 3rd string RB, his argument goes further still.
What?

Since 2013, the Chiefs, due to injuries, have played at least 3 running backs per season. In 2013, it was Charles, Davis, Gray and at times, McCluster. In 2014, it was Charles, Davis and Gray. In 2015, Charles, Ware, West and Davis, same as 2016.

It's important for him to be on the same page with his backs in the passing game, which is a huge element of Reid's offense. And if all the camp reports are true (which I take with a grain of salt but should be noted), Kareem Hunt is going to see a lot of playing time this year, so working on that timing in the passing game is important, regardless of where he's at on the depth chart today.

And don't even get me started on the number of receivers he's had to develop chemistry with during that time. Hell, other than Maclin, Kelce and Hill, you could argue that he's had very little chemistry with any of them.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:36 AM 08-09-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I can see your point Dane. I'm wondering why though. Alex has been with Conley and Wilson multiple years and Tyreek 1. Has that not been enough time to develop chemistry? Alex also had OTA's and training camp practice to get chemistry with new receivers like Robinson and Escobar.

I personally would like Mahomes to get more PT than Alex, but later in the game. Stave doesn't deserve an entire quarter.
I want to get our 1st rd investment as much experience as possible in games that don't matter.
I think everyone wants to see Mahomes get a ton of playing time. And he will. And while i'd LIKE to see Mahomes with the 1's, it's unrealistic unless the Chiefs are serious about starting Mahomes. Otherwise you're just stirring the pot and backtracking on the plan they set forth.

No, Stave doesn't deserve an entire quarter. There's probably 30-40 guys you could probably say the same for. But as Reid said, that's only the plan for week 1. Moving forward, reps will be given to those who've earned it. I wouldn't bet on seeing much of Stave past week 1.
[Reply]
Halfcan 11:37 AM 08-09-2017
Pump fake Pat.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/...s-is-quite-fun

WOW!!
[Reply]
Rasputin 11:37 AM 08-09-2017
Game 4 should be Alex Smith goes out for a series or two and then sit. Hopefully his series or two nets a strong scoring drive and looks good doing it. Then the rest of the game be Mahomes if he wins the #2 at that point but if he doesn't then Bray would need take over mid first quarter and play into the third quarter and Mahimes finishes the game. It would suck not going game and Patrick not getting to play that much in the fourth game. He needs all the reps he can get before the season imo. I'm counting on him winning the second string job but Bray may surprise us and hold his own. He has had some good throws in practice but also errant throws to worry about from Bray. He does know the offense better than Mahomes at this point so he has the advantage.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:38 AM 08-09-2017
Originally Posted by JDKinman:

He was also used to running for his life. His BIGGEST adjustment may be in grasping the concept that he actually has time to look the field over and pick his receiver. LOL!

JD
The time he had in the pocket at Texas Tech wasn't THAT bad. I expect he'll have even less time while playing behind a 3rd string OL.
[Reply]
Rasputin 11:46 AM 08-09-2017
I think everyone wants to see Mahomes get a ton of playing time. And he will. And while i'd LIKE to see Mahomes with the 1's, it's unrealistic unless the Chiefs are serious about starting Mahomes. Otherwise you're just stirring the pot and backtracking on the plan they set forth.

No, Stave doesn't deserve an entire quarter. There's probably 30-40 guys you could probably say the same for. But as Reid said, that's only the plan for week 1. Moving forward, reps will be given to those who've earned it. I wouldn't bet on seeing much of Stave past week 1.
For Stave getting this opportunity to play a fourth quarter preseason game he must have donated a larger portion to the Make A Wish Foundation or has a kid that made the wish for him. That said his best bet is to showcase what he can do and go back to the practice squad in hopes some team will take a waver on him. Chief won't keep him on the roster he has 0 value other than being a live arm at camp.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:57 AM 08-09-2017

Smith leads a long drive on the first series...he is done for the night. Happens every preseason.

First preseason game vs Seattle last year:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201608...eahawks@chiefs
[Reply]
Page 400 of 2686
« First < 300350390396397398399400 4014024034044104505009001400 > Last »
Up