ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Phillip Rivers retiring
Deberg_1990 07:45 AM 01-20-2021
Next stop....Canton!

Philip Rivers announces his retirement to @sdutKevinAcee. And the #Colts need a new QB. https://t.co/FHDSArQjZO

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 20, 2021

[Reply]
htismaqe 10:52 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Kman34:
I will not miss him...
Don't lie. Yes, you will.

[Reply]
alpha_omega 10:52 AM 01-20-2021
Ciao Phil.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 10:57 AM 01-20-2021
The Jerome Bettis of QBs will one day be in Canton. So will Frank Gore.
[Reply]
Marcellus 11:02 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Marino was way better, IMO.

Rivers was impressive, though. As Bueh said, it is difficult to win in the NFL. If not for a few plays here and there (I'm looking at you Marlon Mcree), his trophy case might not be empty.

Most impressive thing for me is his toughness. He was a heck of an Iron Man. I think it was like 250+ straight starts. Even played through a torn ACL at one point.
Marino was believed to be the best QB in the NFL many of the years he played, Rivers has never had that distinction in his career.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 11:08 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Marino was believed to be the best QB in the NFL many of the years he played, Rivers has never had that distinction in his career.
Exactly. Marino basically invented Fantasy Football 20 years before it existed. Compare his stats to his contemporaries. He was blowing records away back when defense was still allowed.

Rivers is an accumulator. Played a long time, in a passing era, and naturally put up big numbers in yards and TDs. Was never a top 5 QB in the league and didn't stand out from his peers. Yes, the team he played for had many dumb coaches. It's also true San Diego was a market nobody cared about. I don't remember him elevating his game in big moments.

To me, he's the Hall of Very Good, but he'll make the HOF for sure. The voters don't look at stats in context of the era. The Hockey Hall of Fame has become especially guilty of this. Accumulators who didn't stand out like Rivers and Gore are going to make it in the NFL.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:25 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by JudasRising20:
Exactly. Marino basically invented Fantasy Football 20 years before it existed. Compare his stats to his contemporaries. He was blowing records away back when defense was still allowed.

Rivers is an accumulator. Played a long time, in a passing era, and naturally put up big numbers in yards and TDs. Was never a top 5 QB in the league and didn't stand out from his peers. Yes, the team he played for had many dumb coaches. It's also true San Diego was a market nobody cared about. I don't remember him elevating his game in big moments.

To me, he's the Hall of Very Good, but he'll make the HOF for sure. The voters don't look at stats in context of the era. The Hockey Hall of Fame has become especially guilty of this. Accumulators who didn't stand out like Rivers and Gore are going to make it in the NFL.
He was top 5 for a few years I would say. 2006-2016.

What truly hurt him was playing for Norv (mediocre) Turner so many years in his prime.
[Reply]
MahiMike 11:43 AM 01-20-2021
We had a love/hate relationship with that guy. Can't deny his will to 'try' to win.

Congrats.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 11:47 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
He was top 5 for a few years I would say. 2006-2016.

What truly hurt him was playing for Norv (mediocre) Turner so many years in his prime.
Not sure about that. Obviously you have Manning, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger. Rodgers became a permanent starter in 2008. I'd rank all those players ahead of Rivers during the majority of that stretch. There may be some season where he sneaks in as a top 5 QB, but not many. Remember that Warner and Favre had some hot seasons during that period you reference.
[Reply]
kevrunner 12:48 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Dayze:
he used to drive me nuts, but I like the guy.

is he going to the broadcast booth?
No, he wants to coach high school football just like he dad did.

Colts quarterback Philip Rivers is introduced at St. Michael Catholic High School as the football coach. He will take over once he retires from the NFL.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:50 PM 01-20-2021
He might have flailed around like a bitch when things weren't going his way but at least he cared unlike a lot of athletes across all sports.

Or he didn't actually care but he at least put effort into making you think he cared.
[Reply]
ROYC75 12:53 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
Damn good thing he pulled out! He might have given the Colts a new mare?
Maybe some fillies, geldings, stallions, dude was fertile!
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 12:58 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by kevrunner:
No, he wants to coach high school football just like he dad did.

Colts quarterback Philip Rivers is introduced at St. Michael Catholic High School as the football coach. He will take over once he retires from the NFL.
Come on Cutler, get off your lazy ass & coach at a rival HS
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:59 PM 01-20-2021
If Rivers is a HOF'er then Mahomes should be first ballot if he retired today.
[Reply]
SeattleChiefFan 01:20 PM 01-20-2021
Seems fitting on a day devoted to turnover in our nation....
[Reply]
sd4chiefs 01:24 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
If Rivers is a HOF'er then Mahomes should be first ballot if he retired today.
Mahomes has already won as many playoff games as Rivers.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up