ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official Concussion Protocol Thread ***
BigRedChief 05:25 PM 01-17-2021
Lets get this information available here. I'll update the OP with the current info.

Posted on ESPN and talked about live on ESPN......

Wednesday am

Kansas City Chiefs
quarterback Patrick Mahomes remains in the NFL's concussion protocol, and it's too early to say that he definitely will play in Sunday's AFC Championship Game against the Buffalo Bills, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Mahomes cleared certain steps Monday, "some big steps," sources told Schefter, but the reigning Super Bowl MVP still must go through other steps to clear the concussion protocol in the coming days. There is hope and optimism, considering he is expected to practice Wednesday, a source told Schefter.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Practices this time of year are basically for mental reps, anyway. More like glorified walkthroughs. So Mahomes won稚 miss much, either way. https://t.co/wEslqsgDXH

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 20, 2021

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧-
According to the NFL痴 concussion data, which is collected by healthcare data company IQVIA, the median time for the 29 quarterbacks who suffered a concussion between 2015-2019 to complete concussion protocol and return to play was seven days.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by DTVietnam:
I posted in the other thread...but this seems to be where we stand at the moment:

Seems he's passed Phase 1 and 2.

Im guessing this is what the week looks like if all goes well:

Wednesday:

Phase 3: Football Specific Exercise

This is when the team can begin to introduce football-specific activities. Mahomes would be allowed to partake in supervised strength training and exercise with the team in 30-minute intervals or fewer. Players can sometimes return to practice in a limited capacity in the phase, dependent upon what the practice day entails. He値l again have to be monitored for concussion symptoms and undergo neurocognitive testing during this phase. If he痴 able to get through it without any worsening concussion symptoms he値l advance to the next phase.

Thursday:

Phase 4: Club-Based Non-Contact Training Drills

This is where Mahomes can get back to all non-contact football work at practice. He can begin throwing, running and do other QB-specific activities. On walkthrough days, players could be listed as a full participant in practice during this phase. If he痴 able to get through this phase without any new or worsening symptoms and passes through neurocognitive testing he値l advance to the final phase of the NFL痴 return-to-participation protocols.

Friday:

Phase 5: Full Football Activity/Clearance

If Mahomes is able to get through team meetings, conditioning and non-contact practice without recurring symptoms and his neurocognitive testing returns to baseline, he値l be able to be cleared in full by the team痴 training staff. In this phase, Mahomes would be cleared for full-contact football activities in both practice and game-time. As we mentioned earlier, he値l also have to be cleared by an independent league neurologist. That would also occur in this phase.

Saturday:

Bills Mafia collectively shit their pants

Sunday:

Mahomes drops 40 on the Bills and raises the Lamar Hunt Trophy.

[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:42 AM 01-18-2021
Just because he's in the concussion protocol doesn't mean he has definitely had a concussion.

I think he got choked out like you see in MMA.

Its the carotid artery and a main nerve right beside it in your neck. I use to tell patients to rub it when the blood pressure or breathing gets away from them.
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:46 AM 01-18-2021
Nick Wright said he heard from a source that he is fine and will play.
[Reply]
joethomas 09:09 AM 01-18-2021
Looked like a wind knocked out situation or similar. Sometimes a guy just takes a big hit and doesn't have a concussion, but with the protocol rules now if you're weak on your feet for a few moments like that the league isn't going to let you back in.

It's all about the NFL making it look like they take concussions seriously, which is much more important than letting players who are fine in a couple of minutes go back into a game.
[Reply]
RollChiefsRoll 09:21 AM 01-18-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Nick Wright said he heard from a source that he is fine and will play.
Who痴 his source? Clay?
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:24 AM 01-18-2021
Originally Posted by RollChiefsRoll:
Who痴 his source? Clay?
probably :-)
[Reply]
King_Chief_Fan 09:28 AM 01-18-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Just because he's in the concussion protocol doesn't mean he has definitely had a concussion.

I think he got choked out like you see in MMA.

Its the carotid artery and a main nerve right beside it in your neck. I use to tell patients to rub it when the blood pressure or breathing gets away from them.
agree...once he got his wind back he was running to the locker room and seemed pretty sure footed.
[Reply]
treeguy27 09:42 AM 01-18-2021
My source heard from his family that it's just precautionary, but he did hurt his toe pretty good.

Take that for what it's worth
[Reply]
kcjayhawks5 09:56 AM 01-18-2021
The toe injury definitely worrisome
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:07 AM 01-18-2021
Rumors of it just being a bronchial stun which makes sense. It can be quite devastating initially. It's a move I learned under the tutelage of Sensei Kreese.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:20 AM 01-18-2021
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Rumors of it just being a bronchial stun which makes sense. It can be quite devastating initially. It's a move I learned under the tutelage of Sensei Kreese.
Interesting. That does seem to make some sense.

[Reply]
jettio 11:01 AM 01-18-2021
I think Mahomes had brain stem compression concussion like when a boxer gets knocked out.

Seems like the impact was in center of head just above forehead and that it why brain stem was compressed more than a temporal (side of head above ear) concussion.

He was more wobbly because of the brain stem compression, but probably easier to heal from than a big blow to side or back of head.

Lamar's back of head blow concussion would probably not clear up by next week if Ravens had won. I think Mahomes was more wobbly, but likely to recover faster and I bet he plays if he did not have headache yesterday or this morning.
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 11:05 AM 01-18-2021
Originally Posted by jettio:
I think Mahomes had brain stem compression concussion like when a boxer gets knocked out.

Seems like the impact was in center of head just above forehead and that it why brain stem was compressed more than a temporal (side of head above ear) concussion.

He was more wobbly because of the brain stem compression, but probably easier to heal from than a big blow to side or back of head.

Lamar's back of head blow concussion would probably not clear up by next week if Ravens had won. I think Mahomes was more wobbly, but likely to recover faster and I bet he plays if he did not have headache yesterday or this morning.
The source quoted in this thread disagrees. Tweaked a nerve.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:29 AM 01-18-2021

A source has told me

“Patrick passed all of his tests last night. He didn’t actually hit his head, there was a nerve in his neck that got tweaked that made him out of it. He’s getting testing done on his neck/nerve today but did clear all tests last night.” @610SportsKC

— Carrington Harrison (@cdotharrison) January 18, 2021

[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:08 PM 01-19-2021

My understanding is that Patrick Mahomes has passed some hurdles and is still working through the protocol, but there's hope he can practice in some capacity tomorrow.

— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) January 19, 2021

[Reply]
RedRaider56 04:38 PM 01-19-2021
Originally Posted by kcjayhawks5:
The toe injury definitely worrisome
Chris Simms said that Mahomes will probably hurt more from the toe injury than any remaining side effects of a concussion.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Up