ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The Derrick Thomas Monday Night Meltdown. .
DTVietnam 02:49 AM 11-15-2019
starts at 3:12:25..

then again at 3:15:00

[Reply]
ptlyon 09:58 AM 11-15-2019
Originally Posted by In58men:
Damn I remember this game. I feel like this was right after I became a Chiefs fan.

What year was this?
It's right in the banner of the vid-1998
[Reply]
Demonpenz 10:49 AM 11-15-2019
Gannon had a bit of what we expect now of QB's running and making plays with their feet.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:01 AM 11-15-2019
Score is 23-7 (a two score game) with 6min in the 4th qtr and the Broncos had already pulled their starters.

The NFL has changed a lot since then.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 11:21 AM 11-15-2019
What is the point in posting this trash, JFC.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 12:19 PM 11-15-2019
Remember this game, don't remember specifics but that game was the beginning of the end of Marty in KC.
[Reply]
fan4ever 12:19 PM 11-15-2019
Y'know I've heard about this for years but never saw it...even looked for it on youtube and couldn't find...so now that I've seen this fabled "melt down" I'm kinda like "meh".
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:24 PM 11-15-2019
As a kid i remember it being a lot worse.
[Reply]
-King- 12:40 PM 11-15-2019
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
Y'know I've heard about this for years but never saw it...even looked for it on youtube and couldn't find...so now that I've seen this fabled "melt down" I'm kinda like "meh".
Yeah I never saw it and always thought it was a legitimate meltdown. But it's just two penalties...meh. I thought he'd be screaming and trying to fight Sharpe while teammates try to hold him back or something.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:43 PM 11-15-2019
Symbolically, this game was way worse in the moment than it is looking at the performance in hindsight, or even looking at the final score.

This was the statement game the Chiefs needed on Monday night to revive their season against a vulnerable Broncos team without John Elway. It was the first time the Broncos came to Arrowhead after skating away on a controversial call on Tony G in 1997 season that was supposed to be the Chiefs year, but this time - we had Gannon here to right the ship. This was the statement game the Chiefs needed to show that this was, finally, the year the Chiefs were going to go all the way. It ended up being an undeniable statement to fans that this era of contention was over.

Instead, we got trashed by Bubba and Shannon Sharpe got the face of our franchise to meltdown by reciting the phone number of Derrick Thomas' girlfriend (among other kind things Shannon said about her).

It was a complete unraveling, and was the nail in the coffin between a 6 game losing streak suffered by who was supposed to be the best team in the NFL. It was the symbolic death of Marty's time with the Chiefs and the 90's "dynasty that never was".

I think an important thing to remember is that Arrowhead was looked at as the toughest place in the NFL during this time. The Chiefs DID NOT lose home games in the regular season. 8-0 at home was an expectation in the mid to late 90’s. I honestly think the end of the Marty era (and the ushering in of the club level era) broke that kind of rugged fandom the stadium once had. The highlight OF the 90’s was probably John Elway pleading with the refs for the crowd to quiet down. Arrowhead just hasn’t quite recaptured that since that era for one reason or another.

The Chiefs played the game they were capable of in Mile High that year and blasted the Broncos out of the gate... and still, John Elway came from behind to win it as insult to injury. I was six, I think that was the first time I ever cried at a sporting event. That game, in my honest opinion, was even worse.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 12:50 PM 11-15-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Symbolically, this game was way worse in the moment than it is looking at the performance in hindsight, or even looking at the final score.

This was the statement game the Chiefs needed on Monday night to revive their season against a vulnerable Broncos team without John Elway. It was the first time the Broncos came to Arrowhead after skating away on a controversial call on Tony G, and this time - we had Gannon here to right the ship. This was the statement game the Chiefs needed to show that this was, finally, the year the Chiefs were going to go all the way.

Instead, we got trashed by Bubba and Shannon Sharpe got the face of our franchise to meltdown by reciting the phone number to Derrick Thomas' girlfriend (among other kind things Shannon said about her).

It was a complete unraveling, and was the nail in the coffin between a 6 game losing streak suffered by who was supposed to be the best team in the NFL. It was the symbolic death of Marty's time with the Chiefs and the 90's "dynasty that never was".

The Chiefs played the game they were capable of in Mile High that year and blasted the Broncos out of the gate... and still, John Elway came from behind to win it as insult to injury. I was six, I think that was the first time I ever cried at a sporting event. That game, in my honest opinion, was even worse.
We remember all of this the same. It’s so nice to have flipped the script on those motherfuckers with Mahomes.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:56 PM 11-15-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
We remember all of this the same. It’s so nice to have flipped the script on those mother****ers with Mahomes.
Weirdly, I was five at the time but watched my friends 97 & 98 Broncos highlight videos as an autopsy/burial of the 97-99 Chiefs after Gannon dunked on us with the Raiders to end the 99 season.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 02:36 PM 11-15-2019
Thank you so much for posting this. I was looking for this game just last week!
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:39 PM 11-15-2019
Funny how Crockett and Brister both ended up here during the Vermiel years
[Reply]
KCTitus 05:18 PM 11-15-2019
I think KC got burned for at least 3 giant naked bootlegs by Brister...I think it took this team 3 coaching regimes and more than a decade to stop getting burned on that play.

I'm shocked all the NFL didnt use that play at least 10% of the time against KC back then...they over pursued so much.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 05:29 PM 11-15-2019
This happened to be one of my favorite memories of the Marty error.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up