ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 19
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones Agrees to 4-Year Contract Extension Ahead of Deadline
Shaid 11:37 AM 07-14-2020
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ad-of-deadline

While the deadline is approaching, the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to a four-year contract extension with defensive tackle Chris Jones, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen.

Schefter noted the deal is worth $85 million with $60 million guaranteed.

The Chiefs placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on Jones in March, guaranteeing him $16.1 million for the upcoming season. He and Kansas City have until 4 p.m. ET Wednesday to finalize a long-term contract.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 12:44 PM 07-14-2020

The Chiefs have guaranteed DT Chris Jones $60M over the next four seasons.

Jones has established himself as one of the best defensive players in the league. In 2019, opposing QB's registered a 32 QBR with him on the field and a 59 QBR with him off it. pic.twitter.com/nykXSTlfHh

— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) July 14, 2020

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:44 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Guys seem to legitimately love being here. I could see a guy like Schwartz taking a good bit less to stay.

They just love Andy.
Fisher seems the most likely loss.

As an established LT w/ a long track record of credible play (and at least one championship) on the open market at 31 yrs old, he can probably get a deal that pays him something along the lines of $19 million/season for 3 seasons or so.

His cap hit here will be around $15 million over the next 2 seasons and there's 2 years to find his replacement (not to mention Niang still as a possibility).

Mathieu is gonna be a little long in the tooth by then as well and realistically his deal will need to be re-done for 2021. They're not gonna have him on the cap at $20 million next season. So are they going to want to extend him for ages 30 and 31 to get that hit reduced in 2021? Or will they just thank him for his service, eat about $4 million in dead cap and have a cleaner ledger for 2022?

I'll go on record as saying my guess is that they move on from Mathieu after this season and let Fisher walk as a FA to make room to extend Charvarius while absorbing the increases in the cap for Mahomes, Hill, Clark and Jones.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 12:44 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I think you will see big cap hits start for Chris in year 20222 which gives us 2 more years to find replacement for guys that are not core players.

Reiter
LDT
Sammy
Hitchens

Fisher is likely being replaced by Niang in 2021 or 2022 to free up money too. Also expect Landlord and Kelce to have 2 years added onto their deals to save money in the near future. Just kick that can down the road and keep drafting well.

This is a well-oiled machine
I'm guessing only hitchens will still be on the team next year of people on that list.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:46 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Gonna be tough to retain Fisher, Mathieu and Ward - gotta figure at least 2 of those guys will eventually be let go. They'll get something done with Kelce and Schwartz I'm sure.
The salary cap is expected to jump at least $50 million in 2022 due to the new broadcasting rights deals and teams will get an additional shot in the arm once the gambling revenues are added to the salary cap.

It's been mentioned in the press that Reid and Veach would like to extend Mathieu soon and I'd imagine they'll keep Ward when his deal is up as well.

The Chiefs have Fisher under contract for the 2020 and 2021 season so if Niang doesn't pan out before Fisher's contract expires, I'd expect to see a reasonable deal for Fisher or some draft maneuvering in order to secure another left tackle that can start for 10 years.

I doubt they'll want to drop $18-$20 on Fisher.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:47 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by KC Hawks:
I don't remember a single play Hitchens has made with the Chiefs.
In one of the more underrated plays of the Super Bowl, he drilled Jimmy G. on 2nd and 9, forcing an incompletion and jolting Jimmy. Jimmy was 18/21 before that hit, 2/10 after.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 12:48 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
In one of the more underrated plays of the Super Bowl, he drilled Jimmy G. on 2nd and 9, forcing an incompletion and jolting Jimmy. Jimmy was 18/21 before that hit, 2/10 after.
Wasn’t that Ben Niemann who obliterated Jimmy G?
[Reply]
Sorry 12:56 PM 07-14-2020
Dynasty in the making
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 01:04 PM 07-14-2020
I'm quite happy with the signing and the rest of the off-season moves.

I hope we get to see this team in action.
[Reply]
eDave 01:07 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Sorry:
Dynasty.
FYP.
[Reply]
TimBone 01:07 PM 07-14-2020
Man, I'm glad they found a way to make this happen.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 01:08 PM 07-14-2020
Technically he has more Super Bowl rings than Aaron Donald does now.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 01:11 PM 07-14-2020
Anybody check on little Mikey Florio? Poor little d-bag must really be hurting right about now.
[Reply]
Kman34 01:16 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
This news makes me want to run with my junk hanging out!
Supposed to be a thumbs up Mr Blowfish.. sorry
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 01:18 PM 07-14-2020

@Mathieu_Era how’s the real estate in KC. Asking for a friend

— Matthew Judon (@man_dammn) July 14, 2020

[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:18 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Fisher seems the most likely loss.

As an established LT w/ a long track record of credible play (and at least one championship) on the open market at 31 yrs old, he can probably get a deal that pays him something along the lines of $19 million/season for 3 seasons or so.

His cap hit here will be around $15 million over the next 2 seasons and there's 2 years to find his replacement (not to mention Niang still as a possibility).

Mathieu is gonna be a little long in the tooth by then as well and realistically his deal will need to be re-done for 2021. They're not gonna have him on the cap at $20 million next season. So are they going to want to extend him for ages 30 and 31 to get that hit reduced in 2021? Or will they just thank him for his service, eat about $4 million in dead cap and have a cleaner ledger for 2022?

I'll go on record as saying my guess is that they move on from Mathieu after this season and let Fisher walk as a FA to make room to extend Charvarius while absorbing the increases in the cap for Mahomes, Hill, Clark and Jones.
Mathieu's playing style isn't about speed or size (obviously), his gift is unnatural football intelligence. Provided he stays healthy, his style of play should extend further than would be typical for his position(s). I would expect an extension.

Either Fisher or Schwartz would be my bet for the first key pieces to go.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 19
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up