ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 19
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones Agrees to 4-Year Contract Extension Ahead of Deadline
Shaid 11:37 AM 07-14-2020
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ad-of-deadline

While the deadline is approaching, the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to a four-year contract extension with defensive tackle Chris Jones, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen.

Schefter noted the deal is worth $85 million with $60 million guaranteed.

The Chiefs placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on Jones in March, guaranteeing him $16.1 million for the upcoming season. He and Kansas City have until 4 p.m. ET Wednesday to finalize a long-term contract.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:05 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by Shaid:
I also think Jones was pushing harder for sacks to get a better contract, which made him a bit less effective at stopping the run. Now he got paid, I think we see some run game improvements as well.
He improved as the season progressed in the run game last year.

He seemed to realize that he's a fucking monster. He's always been supernaturally quick for a guy that big, but he didn't always use his raw strength as well as he could've. The man is as powerful as anyone in the game but he was acting more like a guy who needed to use his speed to make up for average functional strength.

So it led to him trying to jump gaps or split doubles; stuff that can work well in rushing the passer but creates problems in the run game for obvious reasons.

But last year he seemed to figure out that he can STILL hit a dude and physically move him. He can use the first step quickness to get into someone's body and simply move him the hell out of the way using raw power. He learned just how devastating his power can be and in choosing to utilize it more as part of his pass-rush development, it actually made him a better run defender in the process.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:22 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
He improved as the season progressed in the run game last year.

He seemed to realize that he's a ****ing monster. He's always been supernaturally quick for a guy that big, but he didn't always use his raw strength as well as he could've. The man is as powerful as anyone in the game but he was acting more like a guy who needed to use his speed to make up for average functional strength.

So it led to him trying to jump gaps or split doubles; stuff that can work well in rushing the passer but creates problems in the run game for obvious reasons.

But last year he seemed to figure out that he can STILL hit a dude and physically move him. He can use the first step quickness to get into someone's body and simply move him the hell out of the way using raw power. He learned just how devastating his power can be and in choosing to utilize it more as part of his pass-rush development, it actually made him a better run defender in the process.
I agree with this. CJ really seemed to make strides against the run as the season went on. By the playoffs, and in particular against both the Titans and the Niners, Jones seemed locked in on his run assignments for most of each game.

My hope is that he's going to work on his vision/recognition, because most of the time when he got burned against the run it had little to do with his physical abilities or even his positioning, but more about his lack of recognition that it was a running play.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:25 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I agree with this. CJ really seemed to make strides against the run as the season went on. By the playoffs, and in particular against both the Texans and the Titans, Jones seemed locked in on his run assignments for most of each game.

My hope is that he's going to work on his vision/recognition, because most of the time when he got burned against the run it had little to do with his physical abilities or even his positioning, but more about his lack of recognition that it was a running play.
Um....
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04:39 PM 07-15-2020

My Brotha tapped in! I love you @TheRealFrankC_ ... This sh*+ is about to be epic. They’re going to make a movie on this.#MoreGlory #SackNation https://t.co/WXgVUrALB2

— Chris Jones (@StoneColdJones) July 15, 2020

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:43 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
When you consider that Deforest Buckner just got $84m/4, you really have to love this deal for KC.

I think Jones is quite a bit better than Buckner, who is also a great player.
Both Jones and Mahomes took less than absolute top dollar. Neither maximized their deal for every cent they could get.

Speaks to the environment and these guys wanting to stay together. Jones could have easily pushed past Buckner's payday.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:44 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Um....
Good catch. Was thinking about two things at once and forgot that CJ didn't play against HOU in the playoffs. Fixed.

I should add that CJ showed flashes of improvement from about the Vikings game onward. he came up big a couple times in the MINN game, and again in the Patriots game, and so on. Things that didn't necessarily show up in the stat lines, but that had an impact on the effectiveness of those opposing running games.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:54 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Both Jones and Mahomes took less than absolute top dollar. Neither maximized their deal for every cent they could get.

Speaks to the environment and these guys wanting to stay together. Jones could have easily pushed past Buckner's payday.
I think it's also important to give Buckner credit for who he's been the last 2 seasons and not the semi-disappointing player he was in his first 2. And really it was just his rookie year - there were damn promising signs in his 2nd year that pointed to that breakout in year 3 (and a really under the radar dominant season from him this year).

Buckner and Jones are very much in the same ballpark. I think there are arguments in favor of both guys as being the #2 DT in the league. However you choose to rank them, I'd hate to have to live on the difference.

They're very comparable players. Buckner's deal set the market and Veach was willing to pay it. I think where the Chiefs benefited most is in structure and may come in later years if Jones is willing to restructure some of those bigger cap hits down the road.

But I don't think Jones took a massive discount here. I think he and Buckner are comparable players on comparable contracts.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:56 PM 07-15-2020
Good catch. Was thinking about two things at once and forgot that CJ didn't play against HOU in the playoffs. Fixed.

I should add that CJ showed flashes of improvement from about the Vikings game onward. he came up big a couple times in the MINN game, and again in the Patriots game, and so on. Things that didn't necessarily show up in the stat lines, but that had an impact on the effectiveness of those opposing running games.
Yeah - he started showing a willingness to just be a general wreaker of havoc in the middle.

I wonder how much Daley's influence could've helped there. The Patriots have long relied on a 'collective pressure' approach where guys just try to get in the trenches, muddy shit up and see who breaks free rather than having elite guys trying to win on technique.

Jones seemed later in the season to provide a very good combination of the two. He was willing to just go in there, gum up the works and THEN try to win the rep if the opportunity presented itself.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 05:09 PM 07-15-2020
The thing that excites me about this contract is that it appears to have flexibility. The cap WILL go up eventually, and when it does the Mahomes deal and this one can be futzed with to make more room.

We have a HOF head coach, the best QB in history, and by all appearances, one of the best GMs in the league.

This is a dynasty.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:17 PM 07-15-2020

No ��bs... brett Veach is my mutha F***ing Dawg! ��������

— Chris Jones (@StoneColdJones) July 15, 2020

[Reply]
Megatron96 05:19 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
The thing that excites me about this contract is that it appears to have flexibility. The cap WILL go up eventually, and when it does the Mahomes deal and this one can be futzed with to make more room.

We have a HOF head coach, the best QB in history, and by all appearances, one of the best GMs in the league.

This is a dynasty.
It's not a dynasty yet. The Chiefs need to win at least two more SBs in the next 6 years or so, and probably play in at least 4 of the next 6 AFCCGs to realistically be considered a dynasty.

But all the pieces are in place right now. Now they just have to play the games.
[Reply]
staylor26 05:28 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Shark infested waters.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:29 PM 07-15-2020
It's not a dynasty yet. The Chiefs need to win at least two more SBs in the next 6 years or so, and probably play in at least 4 of the next 6 AFCCGs to realistically be considered a dynasty.

But all the pieces are in place right now. Now they just have to play the games.
Your math is off.

We get to 6/8 AFCCG’s in the first 8 years of the Mahomes era but only win 2 more Super Bowls?
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:37 PM 07-15-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Your math is off.

We get to 6/8 AFCCG’s in the first 8 years of the Mahomes era but only win 2 more Super Bowls?
Think of it as "worst case scenario." You could move the coffin corner a little so we win 3 SBs in the next six years, and then only need to appear in 4 AFCCGs or whatever. I'm not talking about reality as much as just what mathematical projection would ensure that the Chiefs would be thought of as a 'dynasty.'

The point being, that it seems the powers-that-be believe that to be considered a 'dynasty' a team needs to win a bare minimum of 3 championships in a decade, and at least appear in more than half of the Conference championship games to establish that level of dominance.
[Reply]
notorious 05:39 PM 07-15-2020
I always thought a football dynasty required 3 titles in 4 years.

That's how they defined it in the 90's, anyway.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 19
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Up