ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Media Center>Greatest movie franchises of all time
DaFace 02:46 PM 04-03-2019
With Endgame on the horizon, I started thinking about how the MCU compares to the other great franchises over the years. So...what are the best ones of all time? We'll generate a giant list then put it through a Rain Man style poll series in the Lounge (probably seeded by box office or something like that).

Here's the current list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
[Reply]
sully1983 07:38 PM 04-04-2019
I was gonna say Batman but god damn Schumacher's Batman & Robin was such a disgrace haha.

But I would put up Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy up against any trilogy out there. Thought it was great from start to finish.
[Reply]
DaFace 07:41 PM 04-04-2019
I'll do my best to compile everything in the thread, but ideally give me a copy and pastable name or description. I'm not going to be able to hunt down some of these I'm not familiar with.
[Reply]
Sorry 07:42 PM 04-04-2019
Mission impossible due them making action films intriguing and exciting
[Reply]
Kman34 07:48 PM 04-04-2019
Martin and Lewis..
[Reply]
sully1983 07:50 PM 04-04-2019
Originally Posted by Sorry:
Mission impossible due them making action films intriguing and exciting
Good choice . It does seem like each MI gets better and crazier with each film.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:32 PM 04-04-2019
I know the third John Wick hasn’t come out yet but I think it would be a good addition to the list.

John Wick

Also, are we saying there needs to be at least three movies to be considered a franchise?
[Reply]
cosmo20002 11:13 PM 04-04-2019
Naked Gun
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:20 PM 04-04-2019
Does the argument that all Tarantino films exist in the same universe count?
[Reply]
Why Not? 09:57 AM 04-05-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
**** you for not mentioning the Leprechaun franchise
Damn it! I almost did and then pussed.
[Reply]
Why Not? 09:58 AM 04-05-2019
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
I didn't see the Vacation movies listed either.
Dude. Good call.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:10 AM 04-05-2019
LOTR is my favorite

But if you are looking for new ones to add to the list:

Rocky
Back to the Future
[Reply]
DaFace 11:06 AM 04-05-2019
Finally had a chance to update the list. Let me know what I missed, what should be clarified, etc.

I pulled in box office ticket estimates from Box Office Mojo where I could. Some of the older ones didn't have any info in there, so I just assigned them a random number in the general range as the rest. I'll give it another couple days for people to chime in, then start putting together the bracket.
[Reply]
Rasputin 11:12 AM 04-05-2019
Star Trek vs Star Wars i hope they go head to head on their own at some point. Should be interesting of those two Franchise CP wins out without any other Franchise taking votes from them.
[Reply]
Rasputin 04-05-2019, 11:16 AM
This message has been deleted by Rasputin.
Buehler445 11:55 AM 04-05-2019
Originally Posted by sully1983:
While I am hyped af about Endgame , I would argue that the MCU is pretty mediocre overall. Like seriously, so many of those movies are forgettable .

Thor 2 , Iron Man sequels both sucked, same goes for Age of Ultron and to a lesser extent Civil War was a pointless popcorn movie. Just my opinion anyways . What I am getting at is not all of the MCU films are worth seeing. Half of them are forgettable and cheap cash grabs .

Also I do not think Kevin Feige (the wizard behind the MCU) gives these directors that much creative freedom . Most of the MCU films have the same standard / cookie cutter formula .

Again, I am hyped for Endgame and think the Russo bros have talent. I do want to see how this shit ends but I wouldn't say its the greatest franchise ever.
I just can't disagree more that the MCU as a franchise is "mediocre".

To accomplish what they set out to do is nothing short of remarkable.

IMO, it's Marvel, then we can open discussion.

The only one that is even remotely close would be Bond, but that is just a bunch of stand-alone-ish movies. The number of characters, the degree to which the stories are interwoven, the frequency of movies, and the sheer number of storylines that are managed is remarkable.

The fact that they even tried this is astounding.

AND THEN the fact that none of the movies suck ass, even if they are forgettable is beyond remarkable. Hell, other than the first Jurassic Park, all the sequels probably are on par with the worst MCU films. And look how stale they are after 5.

The other thing I'd take issue with is I think you are applying a viewing lens today to a bunch of those older ones. Some of them haven't aged the best, but most of them were better received at the time than you give them credit for.

Go watch Spartacus from the 60s now and it is BRUTAL, but it is one of the most successful movies of all time. I think you need to temper your evaluation with how they were received at the time.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:06 PM 04-05-2019
I'm also pulling in a few others that are on Box Office Mojo's franchise list that we should probably include just to be thorough. Let me know if anyone sees others that we just can't live without.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franch...st_yr=1&p=.htm
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up