ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Media Center>Greatest movie franchises of all time
DaFace 02:46 PM 04-03-2019
With Endgame on the horizon, I started thinking about how the MCU compares to the other great franchises over the years. So...what are the best ones of all time? We'll generate a giant list then put it through a Rain Man style poll series in the Lounge (probably seeded by box office or something like that).

Here's the current list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
[Reply]
threebag 10:17 PM 04-03-2019
Shrek
[Reply]
Rasputin 10:52 PM 04-03-2019
Gojirra
[Reply]
Rasputin 10:58 PM 04-03-2019

[Reply]
listopencil 11:10 PM 04-03-2019
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo:

If you include Godzilla then you should include Shirley Temple.
[Reply]
listopencil 11:12 PM 04-03-2019
Speaking of which, there are quite a few franchise actors/acts from the old Hollywood star system that could be included.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:20 PM 04-03-2019
Is this all time? If so, you have to add the Hope and Crosby "Road to..." movies from the 1940s.

Toy Story, perhaps.

Rocky.

Back to the Future.

The Oceans 11 series, maybe.

Clint Eastwood's orangutan films. Any Which Way But Loose, etc. (I think there were more than two of those.)

Alien.

Don't give me trouble over this, but the Hangover series.

Predator.

Maybe Jaws even though the sequels apparently were terrible.

Police Academy. Hey, it counts.

Rambo.

Maybe all of the Godzilla movies.

Smokey and the Bandit.

Friday the 13th.

Death Wish.

Batman.

Lethal Weapon.

Kill Bill, even though they were terrible.

Saw, even though they sound disgusting.

Madea, even though...you get the drift.

Planet of the Apes (original or maybe the new one, or maybe they're all a set).
[Reply]
DaFace 11:50 PM 04-03-2019
Originally Posted by FAX:
So my suggestions are worthless? Otiose and invalid? Meritless and nugatory? Is that what we've come to around here? Have we evolved an entirely new breed of prejudiced, discriminatory mods now? I ask you ... must I cry "Mod Abuse" to the skies?

I mean, if this becomes a poll, fine. Nobody has to vote for my ideas. Nor would I be offended if they didn't. But to exclude them entirely from the list of potentials is ... well ... it's vintage movie bias and prejudicial stereotyping of black and white classical era cinema. That's what it is.

Did Mr. DaFace say, "Only suggest movies that were made in the last 30 years and in color and with actors who are alive and use CGI effects."? No. No, he didn't. He said, "... other great franchises over the years ..." That's what he said, and my submissions meet that criteria.

FAX THE HIGHLY OUTRAGED
No exclusions here, Mr. FAX. I'm simply traveling for work and haven't had time to update the list. I promise I'll include yours in the list once I catch up a bit in the next day or two.

Either that, or I'll ask Rain Man to run with this since it's clearly his area of expertise. :-)
[Reply]
listopencil 12:33 AM 04-04-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Is this all time? If so, you have to add the Hope and Crosby "Road to..." movies from the 1940s.

Toy Story, perhaps.

Rocky.

Back to the Future.

Clint Eastwood's orangutan films. Any Which Way But Loose, etc. (I think there were more than two of those.)

Alien.

Predator.

Rambo.

Smokey and the Bandit.

Friday the 13th.

Death Wish.

Batman.

Lethal Weapon.

"Movie franchises' is somewhat vague. There are a bunch that would qualify, and I stilll think you have to consider actors/acts that essentially played the same characters across a collection of movies. Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Denzel Washington, Tom Cruise, Humphrey Bogart, Laurel and Hardy, Abbot and Costello, Vincent Price, and on and on and on...
[Reply]
Why Not? 07:15 AM 04-04-2019
If you include the Friday the 13th franchise, as some have suggested(and I think you should)then you have to include the whole genre:

Nightmare on Elm Street
Child’s Play
Halloween
etc.......
[Reply]
Why Not? 07:21 AM 04-04-2019

Toy Story, perhaps.

Rocky.

Back to the Future.

Alien.

Predator.

Rambo.

Smokey and the Bandit.

Friday the 13th.

Death Wish.

Batman.

Lethal Weapon.

You could argue that Kill Bill is one movie, told in two segments. At the least it’s a movie and a sequel. I think franchise should be at least 3 and I would even argue for 4 plus. Yes, that would eliminate The Godfather but that’s a stand alone icon anyway. Kinda like the argument for best all time hockey player. You start any debate after Gretzky.
[Reply]
Graystoke 07:46 AM 04-04-2019
You didn't like the Kill Bill Series?
I loved them.
Of course I like that kinda stuff. Loved Grindhouse
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:19 AM 04-04-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I guess the Jack Ryan movies should be added, although in truth only Hunt for Red October and Clear and Present Danger are really the only notable ones.
Patriot Games?
[Reply]
Dartgod 08:21 AM 04-04-2019
Scream
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:23 AM 04-04-2019
Absolutely!
[Reply]
Dartgod 08:26 AM 04-04-2019
I didn't see the Vacation movies listed either.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up