ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Media Center>Google's Stadia...Thoughts?
Setsuna 09:48 AM 03-22-2019
So I'm going to leave this here. Don't really know how I feel about this. Maybe a push to be the first option in the next 10 years? Idk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...a_from_google/
[Reply]
007 12:23 AM 03-23-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
By the way, I decided to play a bunch of remasters on PS4 that I never fully finished on PS3. I bought them used at GameStop and then paid for DLC. So the devs still got my money.
yes and no. They got money for DLC and they got money for the ps3 copy but didn't get anything from the upscaling work they did on your ps4 remaster.

I'm not trying to do a holier than thou deal here by any means, I just don't support gamestops business practice. Now maybe if they offered more than just 5 bucks off the cost of a new disc, I'd be more interested. $10 to $15 off would entice me to go back.

Also, I know an argument can be made that you get much better discounts on older games. But in my case, if I didn't buy the game when it came out, I'll probably never buy it anyway because I didn't find it interesting in the first place. If there is one place I would purchase an old game its sports games. But I suck at those. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:26 AM 03-23-2019
Originally Posted by 007:
yes and no. They got money for DLC and they got money for the ps3 copy but didn't get anything from the upscaling work they did on your ps4 remaster.

I'm not trying to do a holier than thou deal here by any means, I just don't support gamestops business practice. Now maybe if they offered more than just 5 bucks off the cost of a new disc, I'd be more interested. $10 to $15 off would entice me to go back.

Also, I know an argument can be made that you get much better discounts on older games. But in my case, if I didn't buy the game when it came out, I'll probably never buy it anyway because I didn't find it interesting in the first place. If there is one place I would purchase an old game its sports games. But I suck at those. :-)
I hardly ever buy games when they come out because so many games are buggy nowadays. I usually wait 6 months to a year on AAA games just to make sure they're not bug-riddled crap.

And I get it. I buy new games when they're available. But they aren't always available and that's where buying used is a big plus. I also trade in a ton of games - I'm a Gamestop member and get discounts on just about everything there.

Quite frankly, I don't really have anywhere else to buy games locally other than Walmart and well, I have a problem with THEIR business practices. :-)
[Reply]
007 01:02 AM 03-23-2019
I hardly ever buy games when they come out because so many games are buggy nowadays. I usually wait 6 months to a year on AAA games just to make sure they're not bug-riddled crap.

And I get it. I buy new games when they're available. But they aren't always available and that's where buying used is a big plus. I also trade in a ton of games - I'm a Gamestop member and get discounts on just about everything there.

Quite frankly, I don't really have anywhere else to buy games locally other than Walmart and well, I have a problem with THEIR business practices. :-)
My big games are Destiny and Division so I pretty much have to get in on those as soon as they come out or I'm way behind my friends. Most other games I just wait for a price drop. I'm big on Tomb Raider so as soon as those games see a 50% drop I grab them.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:07 AM 03-23-2019
My big games are Destiny and Division so I pretty much have to get in on those as soon as they come out or I'm way behind my friends. Most other games I just wait for a price drop. I'm big on Tomb Raider so as soon as those games see a 50% drop I grab them.
Yeah, I play almost exclusively single player games, so waiting almost always works out for the best. For example, I was one of the few that actually enjoyed AC Unity because it had been fully patched by the time I played it.
[Reply]
Setsuna 01:23 AM 03-23-2019
So basically you can play the games whenever on multiple devices but you don't actually own the games? Maybe if the gaming industry crashes this actually might be what replaces it.
[Reply]
007 01:25 AM 03-23-2019
Originally Posted by Setsuna:
So basically you can play the games whenever on multiple devices but you don't actually own the games? Maybe if the gaming industry crashes this actually might be what replaces it.
I would imagine there is still some sort of purchase for each game. Especially AAA type titles. Thats how Onlive worked anyway.
[Reply]
Setsuna 01:42 PM 03-23-2019
I would imagine there is still some sort of purchase for each game. Especially AAA type titles. Thats how Onlive worked anyway.
Well what I meant was that Google could just block certain games if they wanted and then what options do you have?
[Reply]
Indian Chief 11:40 PM 03-23-2019
I don't trust Google to actually stick with it. They abandon nearly everything they start.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:33 AM 03-24-2019
Originally Posted by Jerm:
Trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist...

The infrastructure isn't there for it...way too soon.

I don't buy a lot of what they were saying.
I'm already sick of hearing about it.

The game sites are evidently getting paid by Google to hype it because they're talking about it EVERYWHERE.

And of course on social media, those articles are immediately followed by 1000's of posts complaining about bandwidth caps and Comcast.
Yep, way to early. Tech and bandwidth still need more time to evolve to make this vision viable.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:44 AM 03-25-2019
Well what I meant was that Google could just block certain games if they wanted and then what options do you have?
Yep. Ultimately, this will lead to the same fragmentation that is being experienced in the streaming movie/TV industry, where you have to have multiple subscriptions to get all the content you really want.

Today, there's very few exclusive titles driving a person to own an Xbox, PS4, AND a PC. Just like there used to be little reason to have Netflix, Hulu, AND Amazon. With the rise of exclusive content and the entry of players like Disney, that's over.

If streamed games take over, people will eventually be forced to multiple streaming providers. There's a reason Google and others are pushing this - they WANT people to cut the cord.
[Reply]
Setsuna 03:21 PM 03-25-2019
Yep. Ultimately, this will lead to the same fragmentation that is being experienced in the streaming movie/TV industry, where you have to have multiple subscriptions to get all the content you really want.

Today, there's very few exclusive titles driving a person to own an Xbox, PS4, AND a PC. Just like there used to be little reason to have Netflix, Hulu, AND Amazon. With the rise of exclusive content and the entry of players like Disney, that's over.

If streamed games take over, people will eventually be forced to multiple streaming providers. There's a reason Google and others are pushing this - they WANT people to cut the cord.
Are all large companies just inherently evil or is the business model of profit the issue here?
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:25 PM 03-25-2019
Are all large companies just inherently evil or is the business model of profit the issue here?
It depends on whether you believe maximizing profit is inherently evil. :-)
[Reply]
Setsuna 07:16 PM 03-25-2019
It depends on whether you believe maximizing profit is inherently evil. :-)
:-) That's a tough call to make. I suppose no one is forcing anyone to buy or use their products so I suppose it's not evil when they use everything they can get away with to get your money.
[Reply]
007 12:40 AM 06-08-2019
The claim there will be no lag with this. Good luck with that.
[Reply]
Setsuna 09:17 AM 06-08-2019
The claim there will be no lag with this. Good luck with that.
In a vacuum sure they can claim whatever they want. They'll blame the consumers lack of quality products if there is any lag. But they have a video/presentation out. Here it is:

[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up