ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 50 of 57
« First < 404647484950 51525354 > Last »
Media Center>Captain Marvel
Fish 08:23 AM 09-18-2018

[Reply]
Setsuna 03:54 PM 03-31-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Finally saw it. I saw it with the wife, and then my buddy wanted to see it so I watched it again later.

It could have been a hell of a lot better. My main issue with it is Larson's performance. In most of her scenes she seemed like she was just really annoyed to be there, rather than emoting much at all. It was fairly awful.

The rest of the movie I thought was decent. Jackson was great. Clark Gregg was pretty ****ing cool. Jude Law was good. The Maria character was good. Writing was OK. Pacing was fine. The action was meh, but OK.

The thing about Larson was notable though. Initially, I thought maybe that was intentional, her subduing herself because emotions are warriors enemies. But even then, Jude Law's character had much more charisma, and he's full on Kree warrior who should have no emotion.

My wife thought that's her human personality, but the flashbacks and pictures showed that she was very outgoing and boisterous. I think that's off base. She also postulated that she was just an asshole as a human. But that can still be charismatic characters, See: Stark, Tony.

I am HOPING it was a director issue, because she was fairly endearing in some of her interactions with Fury. So I'm thinking (hoping) whatever they were going for just missed and the Russos can un**** it. I'm not optomistic because the trailer stuff I've seen with her is roughly the same.

It's just frustrating, because even if she's supposed to be emotionless, those can still be charismatic, compelling characters. I mean, Jude Law did it in the very same movie. Spock is one of the most compelling characters in TV histories.

I just found myself not giving half a **** about her other than knowing through standard tropes that she was supposed to be the hero. This is troublesome because she is supposed to be the Stark-esque leader moving forward. This is problematic because it is pretty much the diametric opposite of Downey's Stark in terms of charisma. I mean, hell, the kid that was supposed to be young Carol was more charismatic than Larson's Carol.
Hey man she got back up after falling down like every other human being in their lifespan. She's so strong for that! Leave her alone! :-):-):-)
[Reply]
CoMoChief 04:00 PM 03-31-2019
Larson was just a bad casting choice for the role.

I would've rather watched sheep fuck.
[Reply]
Munson 04:24 PM 03-31-2019
It's definitely in the lower tier of Marvel movies.
[Reply]
AustinChief 04:44 PM 03-31-2019
Larson is obviously a decent actress. I blame the directors for her performance. If she is as flat in the next Avengers than I will stand corrected but I am holding out hope that far superior direction will salvage her character.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:59 PM 03-31-2019
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
Larson is obviously a decent actress. I blame the directors for her performance. If she is as flat in the next Avengers than I will stand corrected but I am holding out hope that far superior direction will salvage her character.
That’s what I’m hoping also, but who knows.
[Reply]
Bowser 06:15 PM 03-31-2019
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
Yeah, this. The Russo brothers have had the magic touch with everything they've done so far in the MCU.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 07:23 PM 03-31-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Yeah, this. The Russo brothers have had the magic touch with everything they've done so far in the MCU.
Including Arrested Development.
[Reply]
Bowser 07:27 PM 03-31-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I always forget that they were in the middle of that.

Speaking of, The Winter Soldier was just on FX earlier today. That film ranks very highly in the pecking order of the MCU films of the last ten years, imho. The Russos did a fantastic job with that movie.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:03 PM 03-31-2019
I always forget that they were in the middle of that.

Speaking of, The Winter Soldier was just on FX earlier today. That film ranks very highly in the pecking order of the MCU films of the last ten years, imho. The Russos did a fantastic job with that movie.
Agreed.

This is one of my favorite fight scenes in the MCU.

[Reply]
Bowser 08:14 PM 03-31-2019
Yeah, that was bad ass.

And also, maybe a little foreshadowing at 1:28? :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:06 PM 03-31-2019
Yeah, that was bad ass.

And also, maybe a little foreshadowing at 1:28? :-)
If not, massive fan service :-)
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:30 PM 03-31-2019
Agreed.

This is one of my favorite fight scenes in the MCU.

That knife flip at 1:40 is awesome.

Mind-controlled Bucky is a dog. He got a hell of a nerf when he regained his conscience.
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:47 PM 03-31-2019
Finally saw it. I saw it with the wife, and then my buddy wanted to see it so I watched it again later.

It could have been a hell of a lot better. My main issue with it is Larson's performance. In most of her scenes she seemed like she was just really annoyed to be there, rather than emoting much at all. It was fairly awful.

The rest of the movie I thought was decent. Jackson was great. Clark Gregg was pretty ****ing cool. Jude Law was good. The Maria character was good. Writing was OK. Pacing was fine. The action was meh, but OK.

The thing about Larson was notable though. Initially, I thought maybe that was intentional, her subduing herself because emotions are warriors enemies. But even then, Jude Law's character had much more charisma, and he's full on Kree warrior who should have no emotion.

My wife thought that's her human personality, but the flashbacks and pictures showed that she was very outgoing and boisterous. I think that's off base. She also postulated that she was just an asshole as a human. But that can still be charismatic characters, See: Stark, Tony.

I am HOPING it was a director issue, because she was fairly endearing in some of her interactions with Fury. So I'm thinking (hoping) whatever they were going for just missed and the Russos can un**** it. I'm not optomistic because the trailer stuff I've seen with her is roughly the same.

It's just frustrating, because even if she's supposed to be emotionless, those can still be charismatic, compelling characters. I mean, Jude Law did it in the very same movie. Spock is one of the most compelling characters in TV histories.

I just found myself not giving half a **** about her other than knowing through standard tropes that she was supposed to be the hero. This is troublesome because she is supposed to be the Stark-esque leader moving forward. This is problematic because it is pretty much the diametric opposite of Downey's Stark in terms of charisma. I mean, hell, the kid that was supposed to be young Carol was more charismatic than Larson's Carol.
That kid was an atrocious actor.

But, yeah, as I said earlier in this thread, Larson was not a great fit for the role.

I've no doubt they can adjust going forward. One hopes.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:02 PM 04-01-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Also oversaw some of the greatest comedy television episodes ever done via Community.
[Reply]
Rausch 07:34 PM 04-01-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
That kid was an atrocious actor.

But, yeah, as I said earlier in this thread, Larson was not a great fit for the role.

I've no doubt they can adjust going forward. One hopes.
The Russo’s could make a tampon commercial entertaining. They’re excellent storytellers.

They’ll un fuck the character for this film and then it will be back to more of the same.
[Reply]
Page 50 of 57
« First < 404647484950 51525354 > Last »
Up