ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>Ray Donovan - new Showtime series
Fire Me Boy! 11:05 AM 01-20-2013
Seems like Liev Schrieber's title character is kind of like Harvey Keitel's Winston Wolf.

[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 07:44 AM 07-13-2013
When i saw the previews for it i thought: "Looks intersting, ill give it a go". I watched it. Thought it was shit. He's a lot less like Winston Wolf, and more like a criminal Ari Gold. I'll give it more episodes for a fair trial, but the premiere was pretty bad IMO.
[Reply]
Sully 07:49 AM 07-13-2013
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Seems like Liev Schrieber's title character is kind of like Harvey Keitel's Winston Wolf.

I'm getting much more of a Michael Clayton (George Clooney) vibe.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:53 PM 07-14-2013
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
This by far the best story I've ever seen on any premium network. Its better than the Sopranos. The idea and the character are just really good. He's a criminal, but not. A sort of robin hood type outlaw. Its crazy.
Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle:
When i saw the previews for it i thought: "Looks intersting, ill give it a go". I watched it. Thought it was shit. He's a lot less like Winston Wolf, and more like a criminal Ari Gold. I'll give it more episodes for a fair trial, but the premiere was pretty bad IMO.
Conflicting insights, and I don't want to oversell after only two episodes. But the first two episodes gave me a sense of excitement about the possibilities that I only had with Friends, Seinfeld, Deadwood, Sopranos and Mad Men that early on. Not even Game of Thrones had me hooked so quickly, at least not that degree. That's some heady company. It could all go off the rails like The Killing [which eventually recovered] and Heroes, but if not look out.

I liked the echoes of the Bernadette tattoo and the much subtler, and to now poignant, tattoo of Ray's dead sister over his heart in the opening scene. The brother loved a girl, Ray loves his family

And that Russian is certified bad ass, a grunt level crewman who has the capacity to take any of his 'superiors,' thrashing the fuck out of Ray and his love child brother in the same day. Plus he seems to know his way around intel gathering and IT.

There's an intriguing mix of old school mafia and modern fixer. Both require ruthlessness and cunning, but Hollywood required and requires a subtler approach, a velvet glove to go along and get along in that society. Its the evolution of guys a generation ago would be stealing parking meters and commandeering trucks of merchandise for cash and black market resale, who are now taking care of the self-inflicted wounds of the hyper rich. Both required a steely jaw, a mind thinking three steps ahead, and absolute immorality to get things done.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:16 AM 07-15-2013
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Conflicting insights, and I don't want to oversell after only two episodes. But the first two episodes gave me a sense of excitement about the possibilities that I only had with Friends, Seinfeld, Deadwood, Sopranos and Mad Men that early on. Not even Game of Thrones had me hooked so quickly, at least not that degree. That's some heady company. It could all go off the rails like The Killing [which eventually recovered] and Heroes, but if not look out.

I liked the echoes of the Bernadette tattoo and the much subtler, and to now poignant, tattoo of Ray's dead sister over his heart in the opening scene. The brother loved a girl, Ray loves his family

And that Russian is certified bad ass, a grunt level crewman who has the capacity to take any of his 'superiors,' thrashing the **** out of Ray and his love child brother in the same day. Plus he seems to know his way around intel gathering and IT.

There's an intriguing mix of old school mafia and modern fixer. Both require ruthlessness and cunning, but Hollywood required and requires a subtler approach, a velvet glove to go along and get along in that society. Its the evolution of guys a generation ago would be stealing parking meters and commandeering trucks of merchandise for cash and black market resale, who are now taking care of the self-inflicted wounds of the hyper rich. Both required a steely jaw, a mind thinking three steps ahead, and absolute immorality to get things done.
It's been bugging me who that guy is, but not to the point of looking him up on IMBD. Then it suddenly dawned on me. IT'S MANNY!

[Reply]
Bambi 10:43 AM 07-15-2013
fuck yes

[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 08:33 AM 07-16-2013
This is a really good show.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 08:09 PM 07-16-2013
:-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:24 PM 07-16-2013
It's been bugging me who that guy is, but not to the point of looking him up on IMBD. Then it suddenly dawned on me. IT'S MANNY!

Manny: [to a bikini girl who has slapped him] BITCH! LESBIAN!
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:42 PM 07-16-2013
I meant to say this earlier, but talk on the web about episode to, between Papa Donovan's 'it's OK to let someone suck your cock, but dont take it in the ass,' the movie star I-chatting the Ray's underage son, and the blackmailing tranny, that this is a homophobic show.

What say you guys?
[Reply]
Bambi 10:08 PM 07-16-2013
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I meant to say this earlier, but talk on the web about episode to, between Papa Donovan's 'it's OK to let someone suck your cock, but dont take it in the ass,' the movie star I-chatting the Ray's underage son, and the blackmailing tranny, that this is a homophobic show.

What say you guys?
There are some race issues as well. Every single black character is as much of a stereotype as you can create. Hopefully some writing and editing changes this in the future. It's a bit obvious.

Game of Thrones has this issue as well.
[Reply]
Cheater5 07-17-2013, 04:39 AM
This message has been deleted by Cheater5. Reason: Wrong quote
Cheater5 04:42 AM 07-17-2013
[QUOTE=Baby Lee;9812819

And that Russian is certified bad ass, a grunt level crewman who has the capacity to take any of his 'superiors,' thrashing the **** out of Ray and his love child brother in the same day. Plus he seems to know his way around intel gathering and IT.[/QUOTE]

The character is an Israeli, not a Russian.

Good rundown though and I agree, this is a fun show to watch.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:49 PM 07-18-2013
This is a DARK fucking show.

Two brothers sexually molested by a priest, another with epilepsy and another who's mixed race that finally meets his oldest sibling? Not to mention the father, who just got out of prison after 20 years, only to off said priest? Add to that, Ray is on the verge of being completely out of control as well?

Awesome.

The creator and screenwriter also created Southland and wrote for NYPD Blue in its best season (1993). She also must have an issue with the Catholic Church and priests in particular because she also wrote Primal Fear.

Season Two has already been greenlit.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:17 AM 07-19-2013
Oh, and it's great to see Stephan Bauer act again! The guy was a badass but had a serious drug addiction. It's great to see him clean and onscreen again.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:56 AM 07-19-2013
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
This is a DARK fucking show.

Two brothers sexually molested by a priest, another with epilepsy and another who's mixed race that finally meets his oldest sibling? Not to mention the father, who just got out of prison after 20 years, only to off said priest? Add to that, Ray is on the verge of being completely out of control as well?

Awesome.

The creator and screenwriter also created Southland and wrote for NYPD Blue in its best season (1993). She also must have an issue with the Catholic Church and priests in particular because she also wrote Primal Fear.

Season Two has already been greenlit.
Epilepsy? I think you mean Parkinson's.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:34 AM 07-19-2013
Epilepsy? I think you mean Parkinson's.
Oh, you're right: it was the Brittney clone that had epilepsy, right?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up