ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2435 of 3903
« First < 1435193523352385242524312432243324342435 243624372438243924452485253529353435 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:06 PM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
These avatars are getting confusing.

[Reply]
Eleazar 02:07 PM 06-26-2020
Same thing happening in other states where the pandemic has never really had a major peak:

Originally Posted by :
Four bars help fuel Minnesota's COVID-19 surge among young adults

By Jeremy Olson Star Tribune JUNE 26, 2020 — 2:52PM

Teenagers and young adults represent the fastest-growing age groups hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, according to new data released Friday by the Minnesota Department of Health that included 5 more deaths and 498 more lab-confirmed cases of the infectious disease.

The number of lab-confirmed cases in Minnesota has increased 37% — from 25,208 on June 1 to 34,616 as of Friday — but the numbers among people aged 6 to 19 increased 61% in the same time frame. And 20-somethings overtook people in their 30s for the first time this week as the age group in Minnesota with the most lab-confirmed cases.

State health officials on Friday identified four bars — two in Dinkytown and two in Mankato — as being sites in which young adults spread the virus to one another. Infectious disease director Kris Ehresmann said people who frequented The Kollege Club and Cowboy Jacks in Minneapolis June 14-21, and Rounders and 507 in Mankato June 12-13, should be aware of potential exposure risks.

The outbreak associated with the Mankato bars resulted in roughly 100 infections, including workers at child care facilities that are now having to make changes that will disrupt families and children, Ehresmann said.

"Its a sad example of how COVID works," said Ehresmann, noting that the major concern is that these young adults will spread COVID-19 to others at higher risk of severe disease.

The outbreaks centered on the Dinkytown bars involved more than 30 people, and Ehresmann said it reflects the kind of rapid growth that could upset progress in the state in managing the pandemic. She encouraged people to wear masks in public and practice social distancing, and said that social media images of crowds at these locations showed that state safety guidance for bars and restaurants wasn't being followed.

The 7,045 cases among people in their 20s now represent 20% of all cases. More infections in this population might not result in more severe outcomes — only two of 1,411 total deaths so far in the pandemic have involved people younger than 30 in Minnesota. But state health officials worry that these mobile young adults can spread the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 to others at greater risk.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday updated its list of risks for severe COVID-19, doing away with the age of 65 as a breakpoint and instead simply stating that risk increases with age.

Minnesotans 70 and older make up 12% of known cases in the state, but 81% of COVID-19-related deaths. All five deaths reported Friday involved residents of long-term care or assisted-living facilities, bringing the total of deaths in such facilities to 1,112.

Obesity was added as a leading risk factor to the CDC's list, which also includes heart conditions, chronic kidney disease, and diabetes. Hypertension was removed from the list, even though it is the most common underlying condition found in patients in Minnesota who are hospitalized for COVID-19, according to a state health analysis. CDC officials said that related heart conditions, rather than hypertension, are probably increasing the risks in such individuals.

On Friday, 335 Minnesotans were hospitalized for COVID-19 — including 157 who needed intensive care.

Free COVID-19 testing clinics in Minneapolis and St. Paul following the May 25 police killing of George Floyd found a relatively low rate of infections — roughly 1.5% of the more than 7,700 demonstrators and others who were tested. Health officials have been relieved that these mass events didn't spread the coronavirus further, but are now tracking upticks in young-adult cases related to bars and restaurants.

Limited indoor service at bars and restaurants resumed on June 10 along with fitness clubs and entertainment venues. Minnesota had been under a stay-at-home order for 51 days to reduce the spread of the virus until the order was lifted on May 18.

Detected cases of COVID-19 via diagnostic testing are only the tip of the iceberg. CDC officials on Thursday estimated that every one lab-confirmed case represented 10 cases. Most infections result in mild or no symptoms, but people with mild infections are risks for spreading the virus to others.

Minnesota's COVID-19 case count includes 30,008 people who have recovered to the point they are no longer considered infectious or required to isolate themselves to avoid spreading the virus to others.

https://www.startribune.com/20-somet...ota/571504962/

[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:08 PM 06-26-2020
Nzoner could be flat broke but you get him some mean shorts and mp3s he is fine
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:11 PM 06-26-2020
Young people fastest growing demographic.. Bunch bar hoping no good people!
[Reply]
petegz28 02:12 PM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Young people fastest growing demographic.. Bunch bar hoping no good people!
Yep, it's all the bars .....has to be. Even ones that have only been open for 10 days.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:15 PM 06-26-2020
Guy smashes window of CVS

"Guys there is no beer in here, wanna hit the next bar?!"
[Reply]
petegz28 02:15 PM 06-26-2020
See I call outright bullshit on this for a couple reasons...

Originally Posted by :
Free COVID-19 testing clinics in Minneapolis and St. Paul following the May 25 police killing of George Floyd found a relatively low rate of infections — roughly 1.5% of the more than 7,700 demonstrators and others who were tested. Health officials have been relieved that these mass events didn't spread the coronavirus further, but are now tracking upticks in young-adult cases related to bars and restaurants.

One, I know for a fact a lot of people do not get tested properly because they stop the test giver before the swab is deep enough. I have heard this especially from drive up testing.

Secondly up until then all the "negative" tests were met with a huge amount of skepticism and were called false negatives.

Suddenly we are to take this on face value? 10's of thousands of people in the very age group who were out protesting, in some cases before the bars even opened barely 2 weeks ago didn't spread it or get it but the second they walked into a bar...yea....okay

They didn't even open the bars there until 16 days ago. Sorry that just sounds like someone trying to turn a blind eye.
[Reply]
Donger 02:22 PM 06-26-2020
I suppose in binary world, one isn't capable of considering that perhaps some of the young people attended protests, got infected and THEN went to bars, which is leading to more cases.
[Reply]
Eleazar 02:43 PM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:

One, I know for a fact a lot of people do not get tested properly because they stop the test giver before the swab is deep enough. I have heard this especially from drive up testing.

Secondly up until then all the "negative" tests were met with a huge amount of skepticism and were called false negatives.

Suddenly we are to take this on face value? 10's of thousands of people in the very age group who were out protesting, in some cases before the bars even opened barely 2 weeks ago didn't spread it or get it but the second they walked into a bar...yea....okay

They didn't even open the bars there until 16 days ago. Sorry that just sounds like someone trying to turn a blind eye.
I reject the facts and statistics presented (in this case, verified contact tracing to the four bars mentioned) because 'I know for a fact...'"
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 03:03 PM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Why can’t people read? Your entire post is based on ignoring that I specifically said we knew cases would increase with reopening.
You wanted to make the case that protests were a primary cause. I'm sure it accelerated it. But if what you're saying is true then every major protest zone would see a huge spike in cases compared to non protest zones. That doesn't look to be the case. The worst is happening in the southern belt and much of the spike is in rural areas.
[Reply]
petegz28 03:03 PM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
I reject the facts and statistics presented (in this case, verified contact tracing to the four bars mentioned) because 'I know for a fact...'"
Yep, it was 100% bars. No one at the bar was at a protest and maybe got it from there. Thanks, that clears up a lot.
[Reply]
TLO 03:08 PM 06-26-2020
KC is mandating wearing masks indoors starting Monday.
[Reply]
dirk digler 03:08 PM 06-26-2020
KCMO Mask order but they are removing the capacity limits except for bars\taverns.

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:10 PM 06-26-2020
Fuck the mayor.
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:10 PM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:

Well, testing challenges will be universal... unless someone tested all 7700 of those people and was just terrible at it, I'd think testing any random person after protests, bar-going, etc; would roughly the same percentage of bad results over time.

As far as "but the second they walked into a bar", we don't know what that percentage would be either... it's not like the article says "90% of bar-goers have tested positive".... that could easily be 1% or less, and of course the same people can continue making the same bad decisions and eventually catch it somewhere.

It does make me curious what stats are out there from other large outdoor gatherings though, whether it was protests in other cities or whatever.

~1.5% doesn't seem crazy low for something outdoors and right after/during reopening.
[Reply]
Page 2435 of 3903
« First < 1435193523352385242524312432243324342435 243624372438243924452485253529353435 > Last »
Up