ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2139 of 3903
« First < 1139163920392089212921352136213721382139 214021412142214321492189223926393139 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Mecca 12:24 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
This whole thing has to be terribly disheartening to people in public health. These days, it's not just a matter of saying "Here's the optimal advice we can give based on the evidence we have." You have to consider how much what you say will cause people to freak out and hoard supplies that are needed by hospitals. You have to consider what tiny pieces of the information you provide will be misconstrued and twisted to mean something else. You have to hedge on everything (often to the point of not giving the advice you feel is best) because you know that anything you say that ends up being different than reality in the future will be used by people to point and say that you can't be trusted. And then you have to consider that just about anything you recommend that causes the tiniest bit of inconvenience for people might be blown up to the point that people are literally getting shot because of it.

I can't imagine how they keep going every day.
It's taught me that there are a lot of people who just frankly really stupid. No amount of education can help them, they find any shred of anything that makes them feel better and they run with that. If anyone says anything that disagrees with it even a expert, then the expert is a fraud etc etc.

It's really kinda sad what society has become in so many ways.
[Reply]
Lzen 12:25 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-effectiveness

https://theconversation.com/masks-he...wearing-138507

There are another Eleventy Billion articles and papers like this.

Do the masks stop the virus clusters from getting through? Very few do. Do the masks help prevent the spread of the virus? Absolutely.

Does it matter WHY people wear masks? Nope. Regardless of your reason to wear them, the benefits are the same.
I'm not sold on the way that Chinese experiment was done.

The other article is fascinating. Though I will say that I think this part is bologna.
Originally Posted by :
Another recent study showed that unfitted surgical masks were 100% effective in blocking seasonal coronavirus in droplets ejected during breathing.

[Reply]
lewdog 12:26 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Yeah it's not my fault you didn't read it before you went off. Own it or don't that's on you

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Using a Tweet from 3 months ago to make a point in an article printed 3 months later.

Who lacks reading comprehension?
[Reply]
Pants 12:26 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
If it is spread from droplets suspended in the air for hours then the comparison to chainlink fences keeping mosquitos out is fairly accurate for the majority of masks being used.
Except you know... science telling us the opposite.
[Reply]
Monticore 12:27 PM 05-21-2020
Still haven't read the article, have you?
FFS pete that is what I just said, it is to protect the patients but it COULD still stop a drop of blood from flying directly into your mouth short term (surgeon would just replace the mask). it is still a short term barrier if used properly, I have never condoned homed made masks for personal protection , but if they can cut even a percentage of the virus from escaping or traveling a further distance from you if you are infected it can help no?
[Reply]
Mecca 12:27 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:

The other article is fascinating. Though I will say that I think this part is bologna.
The seasonal one is not nearly as strong, if everyone wore masks and washed their hands it would probably do wonders for the cold and flu season.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:27 PM 05-21-2020
A more apt comparison would be golf balls being hit at a chain link fence. Would some get through? Yes. But a lot wouldn't.
And if you ever actually read the article you would u understand that the added protection of the mask is minimal to people who say are customer facing all day. So again before you go off on a straw man or out words in the mouths of others why dont you read it then maybe question so.ething the article states as opposed to what you think I believe?

[Reply]
DaFace 12:27 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It's taught me that there are a lot of people who just frankly really stupid. No amount of education can help them, they find any shred of anything that makes them feel better and they run with that. If anyone says anything that disagrees with it even a expert, then the expert is a fraud etc etc.

It's really kinda sad what society has become in so many ways.
The internet has made it so that it's difficult to distinguish between an expert opinion and the opinion of someone who is just making shit up.
[Reply]
Donger 12:28 PM 05-21-2020
I think we should have a fun experiment where we put people who are against masks in a room with people who 100% confirmed to be infected. You don't know who is who or what percentage is infected.

You can stay six feet away from people, but no more. You have a choice - everyone in the room wears a mask (including you) or no one wears a mask.

I would be fascinated to see what percentage would choose for no one to have to wear a mask.
* Drops AR-15 and asks meekly, "Can I borrow a mask, please?" *
[Reply]
petegz28 12:29 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Using a Tweet from 3 months ago to make a point in an article printed 3 months later.

Who lacks reading comprehension?
Apparently you since the tweet was part of the timeline and not the story. But you would know that if you read things instead of consistently saying stupid shit about something you obviously didn't read.

[Reply]
DaFace 12:30 PM 05-21-2020
And if you ever actually read the article you would u understand that the added protection of the mask is minimal to people who say are customer facing all day. So again before you go off on a straw man or out words in the mouths of others why dont you read it then maybe question so.ething the article states as opposed to what you think I believe?

I have no idea how any of this relates to anything I've said.
[Reply]
Pants 12:30 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:

I'm guessing your issue with the Hong Kong experiment was the sample size?
[Reply]
lewdog 12:31 PM 05-21-2020

But if that person working face-to-face with customers all day was positive and asymptomatic, that mask they are wearing could actually PROTECT YOU as the customer. Since we don’t know who’s asymptomatic, masks are needed! Catch on Pete!
[Reply]
jdubya 12:31 PM 05-21-2020
A more apt comparison would be golf balls being hit at a chain link fence. Would some get through? Yes. But a lot wouldn't.
IF the mask is properly worn and fitted I agree. After my visit to the grocery store yesterday I would venture to guess that the majority are literally paper napkin material held on by rubber bands around the ears....no bueno. Those golf balls just turned into marbles or pea gravel
[Reply]
Lzen 12:31 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by :
The third problem is that there is a shortage of medical masks around the world. Many policymakers were concerned that recommending face coverings for the public would lead to people hoarding medical masks. This led to seemingly contradictory guidance where the CDC said there was no reason for the public to wear masks but that masks needed to be saved for medical workers. The CDC has now clarified its stance and recommends the public use of homemade masks while saving higher-grade masks for medical professionals.
This is the thing that makes me angry. At the beginning of this thing, I was at Lowes and needed to grab some dust masks for a home project. Some arseholes had bought up all of their boxes/cases of dust masks. I'm sure they were taking advantage of the emergency to make a quick buck. Those are the worst kinds of people, IMO. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2139 of 3903
« First < 1139163920392089212921352136213721382139 214021412142214321492189223926393139 > Last »
Up