ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2127 of 3903
« First < 1127162720272077211721232124212521262127 212821292130213121372177222726273127 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Fish 07:23 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The same people who are using these lines, are the people who gave exactly 2 shits about any of those issues until it affected their ability to profit off those people.
"Listen folks, we realize there's a record breaking blizzard happening out there, with ice covered roads, and near zero visibility. But we also know how Frank likes his Keystone Ice. So get out there and drive around."

We're in this together,

AAA Collision Center
[Reply]
Donger 07:27 AM 05-21-2020
FWIW:

If the United States had implemented social distancing policies just a week sooner, it could have prevented more than half the number of coronavirus deaths and infections, according to new research from Columbia University.

And if the country had locked down two weeks earlier than it did, it could have prevented 84% of deaths and 82% of cases, said the the research team, led by epidemiologist Jeffrey Shaman.

“Our findings underscore the importance of early intervention and aggressive response in controlling the Covid-19 pandemic,” the researchers wrote in the report, published online in the pre-print server MedRxiv.

Their findings have not been reviewed by other experts for accuracy.

The US timeline: The first US case was reported at the end of January. It wasn’t until mid-March that the Trump administration urged Americans to avoid groups and limit travel. That’s also when cities like New York started to close schools.

The study used epidemiologic modeling to gauge transmission rates from March 15 to May 3 and determine the impact social distancing could have.

The first days were crucial. “During the initial growth of a pandemic, infections increase exponentially. As a consequence, early intervention and fast response are critical,” the researchers wrote.

But they admitted it’s also true that they could not account for how people would have responded to earlier policies.

“Public compliance with social distancing rules may also lag due to sub-optimal awareness of infection risk,” they said.

All 50 states are now in some stage of reopening. If local leaders detect a growth in new cases, they should respond quickly, the Columbia team said -- a longer response time results in a stronger rebound of infections and death.
[Reply]
Donger 07:28 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
The same people ball washing "medical experts" now shit on a group of 600 doctors.

I figured that was coming in this thread. It's become group think for a bunch of leftys.
I don't think hand dominance has anything to do with it.
[Reply]
Fish 07:30 AM 05-21-2020
The same people ball washing "medical experts" now shit on a group of 600 doctors.

I figured that was coming in this thread. It's become group think for a bunch of leftys.
Why do you prefer the advice of 600 doctors over the advice of millions of doctors, epidemiologists, health groups, and health organizations around the world all recommending the opposite?

You prefer the small minority against the overwhelming consensus, because it confirms your bias. No other reason.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:34 AM 05-21-2020

Go play around with the covid 19 simulator and get back to me.....it takes about 3 minutes to realize if this was handled the way you want it handled by August 31 our death number will be over a million, how about that?
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:34 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Why do you prefer the advice of 600 doctors over the advice of millions of doctors, epidemiologists, health groups, and health organizations around the world all recommending the opposite?

You prefer the small minority against the overwhelming consensus, because it confirms your bias. No other reason.
You must be talking to different people than me. When Buchanan County was the "Hot Spot" in the country several ER medical professionals from the hospital told me if this is it a hot spot right now we really over reacted to this thing.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:35 AM 05-21-2020
You must be talking to different people than me. When Buchanan County was the "Hot Spot" in the country several ER medical professionals from the hospital told me if this is it a hot spot right now we really over reacted to this thing.
Not everyone lives in BFE bro.
[Reply]
Fish 07:37 AM 05-21-2020
Sure they did. And you'd prefer to believe that offhand anecdote over the abundance of data from around the world which shows the opposite. Confirmation bias.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:39 AM 05-21-2020
Brazil wallowing around with us now. Same amount of new cases.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:40 AM 05-21-2020

Yes. Hesrightyouknow.meme
[Reply]
Mecca 07:40 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Brazil wallowing around with us now. Same amount of new cases.
Unironically Brazil has a president that buried his head in the sand when this started and has already been through 2 health officials because they won't just say what he tells them too...

They actually have the potential to have it be totally devastating there because of ignorance.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:43 AM 05-21-2020
Sure they did. And you'd prefer to believe that offhand anecdote over the abundance of data from around the world which shows the opposite. Confirmation bias.
Sure thing, bro. Everything is opening back up and life is moving on so we will see what happens. I haven't changed shit but if you want to hide in the closet that's your freedom to do.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 07:57 AM 05-21-2020
Govt gave 1.2 billion to AstraZeneca's work with Oxford.

:-)
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 08:03 AM 05-21-2020
Did you read the link?
I did and after reading the first few paragraphs I wanted to know the source for this information which they did disclose:

Originally Posted by :
To gather signatures for the letter, Gold and Barke partnered with the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS), a doctors' group that advocates for less government interference in the relationship between doctors and patients, and notably has taken part in legal challenges against the Affordable Care Act and advocated to allow doctors to use hydroxychloroquine on themselves and their patients.
Seems curious. Probably need to get some additional info on this Association of American Physicians and Surgeons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associ...s_and_Surgeons

Originally Posted by :
The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) is a conservative non-profit association founded in 1943. The group was reported to have about 5,000 members in 2014. The association advocates a range of scientifically discredited hypotheses, including the belief that HIV does not cause AIDS, that being gay reduces life expectancy, that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer, and that there is a causal relationship between vaccines and autism. It is opposed to the Affordable Care Act and other forms of universal health insurance.
As I suspected.. wrong forum.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:07 AM 05-21-2020
Those are important issues, but they've all existed from the beginning of time, and are not directly caused by social distancing. That's some really weak reasoning to the point of being irrelevant. Yes, those issues could possibly be exacerbated by the shutdown. But that doesn't justify throwing out the idea of social distancing and eliminating mass gatherings when those things are proven to save lives. Those doctors should work on those individual problems directly. Because their argument sucks.
Do what? Did you read the entire article? It was not exclusively social distancing. And those issues ARE exacerbated by the shut down so I don't know where you get the "could be" shit?

I'd say they put forth a much more coherent argument than you just did, that's for sure.
[Reply]
Page 2127 of 3903
« First < 1127162720272077211721232124212521262127 212821292130213121372177222726273127 > Last »
Up