ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 34
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Best BBQ joint in KC area?
BossChief 12:20 PM 02-07-2015
We are driving down to KC and I usually go to Gates, but want to try something different this time around.

I'm looking to go to the absolute best BBQ joint in the KC area for dinner tonight and figured you guys would know best. Maybe a few of you want to come out and eat with us.

What say you, CP?

(The search function is off or I'd use it.)
[Reply]
tooge 08:13 AM 04-05-2018
Well, since this thread has been bumped, and since I made a fairly rare trip down to the original Arthur Bryants on Brooklyn Ave, I'll chime in.

I had the usual for me. Beef and Fry. It was $9.50, which isn't terrible for lunch these days. While you can't tip anymore for the old extra handful of meat, they give you so much that it's damned hard to eat all of it. I'm gonna guess there was about 3/4 pound of sliced brisket on my plate, and another 3/4 pound of fries. Its been a few year s since I went down there, but here is my update.

The brisket was as good as ever. Great smoke flavor, but still great beef flavor. They leave just enough fat on to keep it super moist. I still think its the best brisket sandwich in KC, even though I think Q39 does a fine job. The sauce is what it is. You either love it or hate it. I happen to love the original sauce. For those that don't, they now have a more KC style sweet bbq sauce that's rather good also. Get there by 11:30 or you will be in line a while. I was very glad to see and taste that AB is still one of the best in KC
[Reply]
redfan 08:18 AM 04-05-2018
Gotta give some love for Tin Kitchen in Weston. Smoked half chicken, brisket, pulled pork smothered fries are some highlights. During lent, they have a legit shrimp po'boy and fried catfish.
[Reply]
Dunit35 09:47 AM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by BlackHelicopters:
Had Q39 on Opening Day. Still hard to beat IMO.
I had Q39 last time we visited. I had the pulled pork and it was the best pulled pork I’ve ever had. Whatever they sauced it with was orgasmic.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 09:49 AM 04-05-2018
I love Q39. But, in the apocalypse, give me Rosedale.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 09:50 AM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by tooge:
Well, since this thread has been bumped, and since I made a fairly rare trip down to the original Arthur Bryants on Brooklyn Ave, I'll chime in.

I had the usual for me. Beef and Fry. It was $9.50, which isn't terrible for lunch these days. While you can't tip anymore for the old extra handful of meat, they give you so much that it's damned hard to eat all of it. I'm gonna guess there was about 3/4 pound of sliced brisket on my plate, and another 3/4 pound of fries. Its been a few year s since I went down there, but here is my update.

The brisket was as good as ever. Great smoke flavor, but still great beef flavor. They leave just enough fat on to keep it super moist. I still think its the best brisket sandwich in KC, even though I think Q39 does a fine job. The sauce is what it is. You either love it or hate it. I happen to love the original sauce. For those that don't, they now have a more KC style sweet bbq sauce that's rather good also. Get there by 11:30 or you will be in line a while. I was very glad to see and taste that AB is still one of the best in KC
Last time I was in there the sauce on the table tasted like it was going bad. Havent been back since. Now I just buy the sauce and put it on my Wabash.
[Reply]
chinaski 09:52 AM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Has anyone ordered Jack Stack or Joe’s on-line & had it delivered?

I want to put out a spread for some out of town guests from Wyoming at the lake & wanted to give them some good KC BBQ.

Jack Stack or Joe’s would be great.
Wife ordered Jack Stack for a me a few months ago. Ordered Ends, Slab of Ribs, Beans and Cheesy Corn Bake. Comes with a bottle of sauce in a styrofoam cooler with dry ice.

I grew up eating at the original Smoke Stack and I go to the Martin City Jack Stack everytime I am in town. The mail order food is good, but it loses some of its soul when you do the mail order thing. It will definitely scratch the itch though...especially out here in SOCAL where decent BBQ is pretty much nonexistent.

As far as value, I think it's overpriced for the quantity of food you get. I have gotten pretty good at smoking ribs, and it's certainly a better value. God, those beans though, they are fuggin GOOD.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 09:54 AM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by chinaski:
Wife ordered Jack Stack for a me a few months ago. Ordered Ends, Slab of Ribs, Beans and Cheesy Corn Bake. Comes with a bottle of sauce in a styrofoam cooler with dry ice.

I grew up eating at the original Smoke Stack and I go to the Martin City Jack Stack everytime I am in town. The mail order food is good, but it loses some of its soul when you do the mail order thing. It will definitely scratch the itch though...especially out here in SOCAL where decent BBQ is pretty much nonexistent.
Want your soul back? Move out of SOCAL.
[Reply]
gblowfish 10:04 AM 04-05-2018
I was travelling two weeks ago and had the WORST BBQ brisket ever in Arkansas. No matter where you go in KC, what you get will be light years beyond what you get in other places, trust me.

Quick reply to some of the suggested places:

The new Gates in Independence is a nice facility, but Gates has always been suspect for quality of service. Some days its OK, some days it's a Chinese Fire Drill.

Woodyard on Merriam Lane in KCK: It's a road house. The smoked chicken and the BBQ Chili are the best things on the menu. Service is slow. Don't go if you're in a hurry.

Arthur Bryants: Very good value for the buck. Tip: If you order a combo sandwich, you can make ribs one of the meats. Ask for it dry, then put the sauce on at the table or get sauce to go. Try the original and the sweet tangy. Some people really hate the original. I love both.

Rosedale: Everything is good except ribs. Great value for the buck, nice people.

Q39: Still haven't been there, so I can't judge. Understand it's expensive and the portions are smaller than most BBQ places.

Jack Stack: Good, safe, tourist BBQ. Not a real joint like LC's or Arthur Bryants.
[Reply]
srvy 10:17 AM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I was travelling two weeks ago and had the WORST BBQ brisket ever in Arkansas. No matter where you go in KC, what you get will be light years beyond what you get in other places, trust me.

The new Gates in Independence is a nice facility, but Gates has always been suspect for quality of service. Some days its OK, some days it's a Chinese Fire Drill.

Woodyard on Merriam Lane in KCK: It's a road house. The smoked chicken and the BBQ Chili are the best things on the menu. Service is slow. Don't go if you're in a hurry.

Arthur Bryants: Very good value for the buck. Tip: If you order a combo sandwich, you can make ribs one of the meats. Ask for it dry, then put the sauce on at the table or get sauce to go. Try the original and the sweet tangy. Some people really hate the original. I love both.

Rosedale: Everything is good except ribs. Great value for the buck, nice people.

Q39: Still haven't been there, so I can't judge. Understand it's expensive and the portions are smaller than most BBQ places.

Jack Stack: Good, safe, tourist BBQ. Not a real joint like LC's or Arthur Bryants.
^^^ Listen to this man there is a wealth of knowledge in this post.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 10:36 AM 04-05-2018

Use the Force, Luke.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 10:52 AM 04-05-2018

Rosedale has never really clicked with me. I think their pulled pork isn't very good and pulled pork is my go to at BBQ joints. I don't mind a quick turkey sandwich and sweet corn nugget lunch from them though.

Q39 still has the best pulled pork in the city.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:54 AM 04-05-2018
Gates is fucking terrible. I guess if you don't care about quality of meat or rubs, and just like your BBQ drowning in sauce, that place is for you.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 11:12 AM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Rosedale has never really clicked with me. I think their pulled pork isn't very good and pulled pork is my go to at BBQ joints. I don't mind a quick turkey sandwich and sweet corn nugget lunch from them though.

Q39 still has the best pulled pork in the city.
Rosedale is a true joint. My love began in 1987, in Graduate School. Love Q39.
It, however , will never be mistaken for a joint.
[Reply]
srvy 11:26 AM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by BlackHelicopters:
Rosedale is a true joint. My love began in 1987, in Graduate School. Love Q39.
It, however , will never be mistaken for a joint.
You gotta wash it down with a cold RC when there. My Love started in the 70s after school we worked at Worlds of Fun getting the park ready for opening. On Fridays after work boss took us to Rosedale for ribs ( when they were excellent) and cold 40s of Coors it was 18 then and 3.2. Been going there every since and I could drink that sauce straight I love it that much. Beautiful cinnamony goodness. The ribs took a hit after the old man died I always felt.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 11:52 AM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by srvy:
You gotta wash it down with a cold RC when there. My Love started in the 70s after school we worked at Worlds of Fun getting the park ready for opening. On Fridays after work boss took us to Rosedale for ribs ( when they were excellent) and cold 40s of Coors it was 18 then and 3.2. Been going there every since and I could drink that sauce straight I love it that much. Beautiful cinnamony goodness. The ribs took a hit after the old man died I always felt.
When did he die? This is all fresh to me. I started in 1987. Ribs were not good. Learned better options.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 34
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Up