ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 29 of 48
« First < 192526272829 3031323339 > Last »
Media Center>Time again for a new phone
Dartgod 08:28 PM 07-14-2013
So I'm eligible to upgrade my cell phone again August 1st. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S2 through Sprint and was ready to get the S4. Now I see that LG is set to release their Optimus G2 sometime in August.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/09/lg-optimus-g2-leak/

I've never considered LG, but I'm intrigued by what I've read.

Has anyone else looked at this and is it worth waiting another month or so for the LG?

Also, does anyone in the KC area have any experience with Sprint's LTE 4G? Is coverage still spotty?
[Reply]
Fish 12:42 PM 09-15-2014
Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan:
I think I read somewhere the internal apps on the Iphone 6 will use almost 8GBs of storage out of the box so the 16 gig model is pretty much useless
That's not true. What you're probably thinking of is a bug in iOS8 beta 2 that allowed some log files to explode in size causing free space issues. iOS8 is ~3GB.

iOS 8 can be installed on 8GB iPhones if that tells you anything..
[Reply]
Eleazar 01:27 PM 09-15-2014
Originally Posted by jd1020:
I've always found it funny how people act like there's no bloat on Apple or Google phones. I guess because it doesn't say AT&T in front of the app that it doesn't count as bloatware.
I use an iphone 5s, and I don't see any bloat on there. There are no carrier apps I can't install or things that are locked by the carrier.

When I had a Galaxy, there was all kinds of AT&T garbage on there that you couldn't uninstall and search boxes that you couldn't change off of Yahoo, etc.

Yeah, I know you can root and sideload and jailbreak and everything else, but I shouldn't have to do that on a device that I own.
[Reply]
Fish 01:44 PM 09-15-2014
I've always found it funny how people act like there's no bloat on Apple or Google phones. I guess because it doesn't say AT&T in front of the app that it doesn't count as bloatware.
Umm..what? What exactly would you consider to be bloatware in either stock iOS or stock Android? Can you name a few of the bloatware apps? I'd be interested to hear your list....

Because as much grief as people give Apple for their closed system, one of the clear and obvious benefits is no bloat. They don't let carriers install a single thing, and they're very adamant about it. Google provides a completely unbloated version of Android too. Google even has Android One, which is designed for the very thing your complaining about. It's intent is to prevent carrier bloatware.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...matic-updates/
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 02:08 PM 09-15-2014
I know an iPhone 5s running ios 7 uses about 4 gigs out of the box. I guess we'll find out what it is on the 6 on Friday
[Reply]
Fish 02:23 PM 09-15-2014
Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan:
I know an iPhone 5s running ios 7 uses about 4 gigs out of the box. I guess we'll find out what it is on the 6 on Friday
iOS 7 is 3.1GB installed.

iOS 8 won't be much more than that. But it depends on the device, as the size varies. The GM for iPhone 5 is 1.9GB in size.
[Reply]
AustinChief 02:57 PM 09-15-2014
Originally Posted by Fish:
Google provides a completely unbloated version of Android too. Google even has Android One, which is designed for the very thing your complaining about. It's intent is to prevent carrier bloatware.

There is also the Moto X Pure(? I think) edition coming out.

Speaking of, Motorola looks like they have stopped sucking and are back to being players again. The new Moto X and Moto 360 are solid, and it looks like the Moto Hint is the best BT earpiece out there now.
[Reply]
Fish 03:18 PM 09-15-2014
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
There is also the Moto X Pure(? I think) edition coming out.

Speaking of, Motorola looks like they have stopped sucking and are back to being players again. The new Moto X and Moto 360 are solid, and it looks like the Moto Hint is the best BT earpiece out there now.
Yeah, I once vowed to never own another Motorola again. But the latest offering have made me question that. I hadn't heard of the Moto X Pure. But it looks pretty awesome.
[Reply]
jd1020 03:41 PM 09-15-2014
Still waiting on the Nexus X (or 6, w/e the **** its being called) to decide between it and the Moto X.

I was pretty much dead set on the Moto X and then they released it and it was kind of disappointing.

1) The battery is just shit. In this day and age they chose to put a 2300 mAh in their flagship? WTF Moto? Even yesteryear flagships like the LG G2 managed to have a 3000 mAh battery and it's also 5.2" and thinner than the Moto X at it's thickest measurement.

2) Still only 16/32GB options with no SD card? Come the **** on! How do you manage to get an SD card in the ****ing G and not the X?

3) The camera still sucks. I was kinda excited when I saw that they went with totally different sensor on the new X but then I saw some samples... Maybe a worse camera than last year.

4) A Mono front firing speaker on the X and stereo front firing speakers on the G. LOLWUT?

Still, those Moto features make it more appealing to me than any flagship from LG, Samsung, HTC, or Apple.

I'm hoping that since Motorola is rumored to be making the Nexus that we'll see some of those same features but with a more premium phone which includes storage expansion (or at least a 64GB option), a bigger battery (especially with the rumors of it have a 2k display), and a better camera.

Fingers crossed. Oh... and it better not be that behemoth 5.9" waste of a phone.
[Reply]
Mojo Rising 08:19 PM 09-15-2014
Still waiting on the Nexus X (or 6, w/e the **** its being called) to decide between it and the Moto X.

I was pretty much dead set on the Moto X and then they released it and it was kind of disappointing.

1) The battery is just shit. In this day and age they chose to put a 2300 mAh in their flagship? WTF Moto? Even yesteryear flagships like the LG G2 managed to have a 3000 mAh battery and it's also 5.2" and thinner than the Moto X at it's thickest measurement.

2) Still only 16/32GB options with no SD card? Come the **** on! How do you manage to get an SD card in the ****ing G and not the X?

3) The camera still sucks. I was kinda excited when I saw that they went with totally different sensor on the new X but then I saw some samples... Maybe a worse camera than last year.

4) A Mono front firing speaker on the X and stereo front firing speakers on the G. LOLWUT?

Still, those Moto features make it more appealing to me than any flagship from LG, Samsung, HTC, or Apple.

I'm hoping that since Motorola is rumored to be making the Nexus that we'll see some of those same features but with a more premium phone which includes storage expansion (or at least a 64GB option), a bigger battery (especially with the rumors of it have a 2k display), and a better camera.

Fingers crossed. Oh... and it better not be that behemoth 5.9" waste of a phone.
I doubt that they Nexus will have a SD slot.Amazon and Google do not put them on their phones. They want you to load everything through their cloud service. The batteries have usually been a slight issue. I am expecting a 5.2 inch screen.

I have the Nexus 5 which will be the 1st to get updated to Android L. I want to see how that performs before upgrading to the X. I do want the bigger screen.
[Reply]
jd1020 08:26 PM 09-15-2014
Originally Posted by Mojo Rising:
I doubt that they Nexus will have a SD slot.Amazon and Google do not put them on their phones. They want you to load everything through their cloud service. The batteries have usually been a slight issue. I am expecting a 5.2 inch screen.

I have the Nexus 5 which will be the 1st to get updated to Android L. I want to see how that performs before upgrading to the X. I do want the bigger screen.
I know. I don't expect it to have one. They havent put a SD slot on a Nexus in like 3 years. But at least launch with a 64GB version.
[Reply]
jd1020 04:02 PM 09-16-2014
Originally Posted by Fish:
Umm..what? What exactly would you consider to be bloatware in either stock iOS or stock Android? Can you name a few of the bloatware apps? I'd be interested to hear your list....

Because as much grief as people give Apple for their closed system, one of the clear and obvious benefits is no bloat. They don't let carriers install a single thing, and they're very adamant about it. Google provides a completely unbloated version of Android too. Google even has Android One, which is designed for the very thing your complaining about. It's intent is to prevent carrier bloatware.

If AT&T Maps is considered bloatware, how the hell is Apple Maps not?

You don't get redundant shit on Apple or a Nexus from AT&T or Verizon but they still load their own Apple products and Google products on the phone and as far as Apple is concerned, I dont think you can remove anything.

Like I said, I guess since it doesn't have "AT&T _______" it's not bloatware?
[Reply]
BigMeatballDave 04:05 PM 09-16-2014
If AT&T Maps is considered bloatware, how the hell is Apple Maps not?

You don't get redundant shit on Apple or a Nexus from AT&T or Verizon but they still load their own Apple products and Google products on the phone and as far as Apple is concerned, I dont think you can remove anything.

Like I said, I guess since it doesn't have "AT&T _______" it's not bloatware?
Rooting will allow you to remove it.

Oops, I just noticed you said Apple.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 03:22 PM 09-17-2014
Just FYI the iPhone 6 plus 16 GB will have 11.8 GB available out of box.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 03:24 PM 09-17-2014
The 6 will have 12.2
[Reply]
DMAC 03:28 PM 09-17-2014
I'm pretty sold on the HTC One M8

Anyone have experience with it? Everything seems about the same these days. This one's design is pretty sweet.
[Reply]
Page 29 of 48
« First < 192526272829 3031323339 > Last »
Up