ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 31 of 324
« First < 212728293031 323334354181131 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:16 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
The scheme change isn’t even nearly as big of a factor nowadays anyways. As others have noted, teams are in nickel and dime packages mostly anyways.

It’s about how he will adjust, prepare, develop talent, and motivate them as a unit. That’s where the difference must be made.
Good post. It still matters, base defense; you're in it about a third of the time on league average. but all the variations of nickel are probably more important. Lots of different personnel groupings fall into that category.

The biggest thing is that The Chiefs have been incredibly fundamentally unsound. Stupid penalties, poor tackling-hell, even with the hairbrained scheme, if we were just better at the basics that defense would've been 20-ish. And I still say it had enough high picks on it to have been a middle of the pack defense talent-wise.

The secondary appeared to be a poorly coached mess. The front seven was not disciplined. As much as everyone loves Dee Ford's sack totals, he can be blocked by a fucking WR on a running play. He was total shit at setting the edge. Inexcusable.

There are still pieces here to build with, there's still some talent, and the team is a solid and consistent situation for Spags. He's shown he can thrive in that sort of situation, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:17 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
You gonna play those guys all the snaps or rotate them? When you rotate them who you gonna have? Xavier William's? You can never have enough talent on the line especially when you've struggled against the run.
Well I won't disagree about talent on the line. That's why I was cool with drafting like we did last year. You could have all the Jaylen Ramsey's in the world but if your pass rush is non-existent you will not stop anyone. And if you can't stop the run, I don't care how great your secondary and pass rush are.....

We hear it every year on both sides of the ball...it all starts in the trenches
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:21 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Well I won't disagree about talent on the line. That's why I was cool with drafting like we did last year. You could have all the Jaylen Ramsey's in the world but if your pass rush is non-existent you will not stop anyone. And if you can't stop the run, I don't care how great your secondary and pass rush are.....

We hear it every year on both sides of the ball...it all starts in the trenches
If we were a tad better against the run and get a corner that can slow down Edelman we beat the Pat's by 3 scores
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:31 PM 01-24-2019
All of these big contracts are either up, big paydays due, or it's the first year you could reasonably cut guys and absorb the cap hits.

We might well get fucked on Berry, depending on this surgery business, although I have yet to see an official indication of the surgery.

Bailey's up, and was pricey. Sorensen was way overpaid but you can cut him June 1, Ford's gonna paid (but not by us, and we're going to get a decent pick) Houston's not going to get $21.1m. Looking at last year's draft and offseason, it literally looks like they were stacking up to make a change this offseason. I'm not saying they knew who the DC would be, but it would appear that they marked the spot in which a change could be done. Coupled with Andy's remarks about inside pressure being the key going forward. Get the new offense going with Mahomes in '18, flip the defense in '19.
[Reply]
patyoulikemahomes 09:38 PM 01-24-2019
Bad bad bad hire.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:39 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Speaks can play the 3 Tech too. It might even be ideal.
It'd be real funny if Speaks turned out to be Aaron Donald. :-)
[Reply]
In58men 09:44 PM 01-24-2019
Did CP already write off 2019 as disastrous?
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:47 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
It'd be real funny if Speaks turned out to be Aaron Donald. :-)
:-) yeah right.
[Reply]
Why Not? 09:48 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by In58men:
1/2 of CP. The same 1/2 that thought Geno Smith was our QBOTF
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 09:53 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by In58men:
No I have wrote off our Defense as improving with hiring Rehash as the DC...

Its a stale zero impact hire that wont produce as we hoped..

Same as it ever was...
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 09:54 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
1/2 of CP. The same 1/2 that thought Geno Smith was our QBOTF
And the other half is the half that thought Alex was the QB that this franchise needed...
[Reply]
ChiefoftheKeyboard 09:54 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by patyoulikemahomes:
Bad bad bad hire.
Who would you have rather had?
[Reply]
The Bad Guy 09:59 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
My point about not being able to trade Dee Ford is the Chiefs won’t have the luxury of leverage. Teams will know he doesn’t fit a 4-3, and possibly decide to keep bidding low or wait for release.

I’m still laughing because people think we have personal for 4-3, hint.... We dont
Complete nonsense that he doesn't fit a 4-3. There's little difference between a 4-3 under that Spags runs and the 3-4. The only person this is going to hurt is Ragland. Not Ford.

The only thing you should be laughing about is this garbage post you just put out there.

Do you think Ford never had to set an edge in the 3-4?
[Reply]
In58men 10:01 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
No I have wrote off our Defense as improving with hiring Rehash as the DC...

Its a stale zero impact hire that wont produce as we hoped..

Same as it ever was...
Good god :-)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:02 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by The Bad Guy:
Complete nonsense that he doesn't fit a 4-3. There's little difference between a 4-3 under that Spags runs and the 3-4.

The only thing you should be laughing about is this garbage post you just put out there.

Do you think Ford never had to set an edge in the 3-4?
I don't know that ever actually DID set the edge.
[Reply]
Page 31 of 324
« First < 212728293031 323334354181131 > Last »
Up