ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 54 of 3903
« First < 4445051525354 55565758641041545541054 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
philfree 06:09 PM 03-05-2020
So did the Chinese create this nasty virus in a lab?
[Reply]
suzzer99 06:35 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
What is it exactly people think the tests are supposed to do? Is treatment different if you have it versus having a different strand of flu? Doesn’t really seem like it from anything I’ve seen. If you have a cold or something worse and feel the need to go to the doctor and they say you are having flu like symptoms and might have a strand of flu, the treatment is still go home and avoid people and treat the symptoms. It’s not like they say they can’t test you so you can resume activities as normal.

And if anyone with a sniffle could get tested for it then you would have way too many people taking advantage of that anyways and then truly over whelming the healthcare system.
It would help to know if you should seriously self quarantine or just treat it like a normal flu. If your wife with diabetes, or your live-in mother that you care for has a 10% chance of dying if they catch a bug from you, you'd want to know that.
[Reply]
FD 06:42 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
What is it exactly people think the tests are supposed to do? Is treatment different if you have it versus having a different strand of flu? Doesn’t really seem like it from anything I’ve seen. If you have a cold or something worse and feel the need to go to the doctor and they say you are having flu like symptoms and might have a strand of flu, the treatment is still go home and avoid people and treat the symptoms. It’s not like they say they can’t test you so you can resume activities as normal.

And if anyone with a sniffle could get tested for it then you would have way too many people taking advantage of that anyways and then truly over whelming the healthcare system.
You really wouldn't want to know if there is an outbreak in your community or neighborhood, so that you could take extra precautions? You wouldn't want to distinguish between a cold and a virus that has a 10-20% chance of killing your elderly parent with a health condition?
[Reply]
FD 06:53 PM 03-05-2020

I just landed at JFK after reporting on #coronavirus in Milan and Lombardy —the epicenter of Italy’s outbreak— for @vicenews. I walked right through US customs. They didn’t ask me where in Italy I went or if I came into contact with sick people. They didn’t ask me anything.

— Julia Lindau (@julialindau) March 5, 2020

[Reply]
suzzer99 06:59 PM 03-05-2020
But I thought we shut down the border.
[Reply]
suzzer99 06:59 PM 03-05-2020

Missouri specific:
• ZERO confirmed cases
• Nearly 17 people have been tested
• Testing CAN be done in Missouri
• Prisons, nursing homes & mental health facilities are a concern
• Schools are always a concern, but young people to not appear to be as prone #COVID19

— Governor Mike Parson (@GovParsonMO) March 5, 2020

Missouri is on it. Nearly 17 tests!
[Reply]
FD 07:04 PM 03-05-2020

Pretty stark statement from a Kaiser nurse in NorCal who got sick after caring for a coronavirus patient, criticizing CDC for delays in testing. https://t.co/GDlOH7TLzz pic.twitter.com/wleK6CRVeQ

— Matt Pearce 🦅 (@mattdpearce) March 5, 2020

[Reply]
suzzer99 07:05 PM 03-05-2020
Yeah I saw that earlier and I'm not sure what to think. Supposedly any doctor can order the test. But apparently the CDC can still deny?
[Reply]
FD 07:07 PM 03-05-2020
If anyone saw the show about Chernobyl on HBO, that CDC logic for why they shouldn't test the sick nurse is the exact logic used in the show by the Soviets after the reactor blows.
[Reply]
Setsuna 07:07 PM 03-05-2020
How goes the fear mongering? I'm not phased.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:13 PM 03-05-2020
I’m glad the government finally quit lying to the public about being able to go to their doctor and get tested for the Coronavirus.

The CDC decides whether you get a kit or not. Right now, as of this afternoon late, there are 1.6 million requests for a test and around 50K test kits are available.

Do the math. Quit lying to the people. Quit wishful thinking. Quit spouting off BS. Just provide the facts. There is no reason for anyone to panic. Just tell them the ****ing truth.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 07:22 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
It would help to know if you should seriously self quarantine or just treat it like a normal flu. If your wife with diabetes, or your live-in mother that you care for has a 10% chance of dying if they catch a bug from you, you'd want to know that.

Do people routinely not care if they give their elderly parent the flu? Seems like a self quarantine regardless which is pretty much my point. Whether or not you are tested is not really a reason to give someone else the flu.

That said, people with obvious serious symptoms and higher risks could benefit from testing but opening it up to anyone with a sniffle would be a bad idea. People already abuse the ER unnecessarily. This would make it way worst.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 07:29 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by FD:
You really wouldn't want to know if there is an outbreak in your community or neighborhood, so that you could take extra precautions? You wouldn't want to distinguish between a cold and a virus that has a 10-20% chance of killing your elderly parent with a health condition?
If you are concerned about your health related to the flu as a high risk person then you can and should take precautions regardless because we already know that the virus can be present without anyone showing any symptoms. And no, going to Costco with hoards of people is not taking precautions, in fact it’s exactly what not to do, which is something the hysteria is causing.
[Reply]
TLO 07:31 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I’m glad the government finally quit lying to the public about being able to go to their doctor and get tested for the Coronavirus.

The CDC decides whether you get a kit or not. Right now, as of this afternoon late, there are 1.6 million requests for a test and around 50K test kits are available.

Do the math. Quit lying to the people. Quit wishful thinking. Quit spouting off BS. Just provide the facts. There is no reason for anyone to panic. Just tell them the ****ing truth.

Requests can also be sent to a lab for confirmation - in many states at least. 4-6 hour turnaround for confirmation.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 07:39 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by FD:

Knowingly travels to a virus outbreak and upon returning proceeds to suggests other people are being irresponsible. Okay then.
[Reply]
Page 54 of 3903
« First < 4445051525354 55565758641041545541054 > Last »
Up