ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 57
« First < 7891011 1213141521 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:02 PM 04-03-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I got 2' rebar, so that's 12 inches into the ground.

And everything I've read is treated lumber is not good for gardens, so no. Framing lumber. I know I'll probably need to replace it every couple seasons.
Thanks for the info man. I imagine sooner or later Mrs Buehler445 is going to extract one of these from me.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:13 PM 04-08-2017
Finished up the bee garden.

[Reply]
Buehler445 04:25 PM 04-08-2017
Good work FMB
[Reply]
KS Smitty 04:41 PM 04-08-2017
Awesome job FMB! Have you picked your plants?
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:45 PM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
Awesome job FMB! Have you picked your plants?

Yep, planted seed today. Wife did a bunch of research for bee-friendly plants that were also pet safe. Got echinacea, columbine, phlox, and a couple others I can't remember. Also planted blueberries in those corners, which bees apparently love.
[Reply]
Iowanian 06:29 PM 04-08-2017
I got my tiller put together today and it was a sonnabitch to hook up. Once I did the pto shaft was too long, so I had to use the cat 2 quick coupler I had and it worked fine. It was too wet but couldn't stand it and tilled my garden. My tractor might have not go slow enough in hard ground or I'll have to ride the clutch, which is a bad idea.

We'll see. I'll start turning dirt as soon as it dries up. I hope to do 25 gardens or so this spring at least.

Painting hive boxes tomorrow and going to try to get my bee yard ready. A lot of my fruit trees are blooming already so that will be mostly over when ,y bees get here in a couple of weeks.

I got the ends cut off of a propane tank....I'm going to weld them together and make a globe fire pit that should be around 4-5' diameter. I'll post that process and final result.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:35 PM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I got my tiller put together today and it was a sonnabitch to hook up. Once I did the pto shaft was too long, so I had to use the cat 2 quick coupler I had and it worked fine. It was too wet but couldn't stand it and tilled my garden. My tractor might have not go slow enough in hard ground or I'll have to ride the clutch, which is a bad idea.

We'll see. I'll start turning dirt as soon as it dries up. I hope to do 25 gardens or so this spring at least.

Painting hive boxes tomorrow and going to try to get my bee yard ready. A lot of my fruit trees are blooming already so that will be mostly over when ,y bees get here in a couple of weeks.

I got the ends cut off of a propane tank....I'm going to weld them together and make a globe fire pit that should be around 4-5' diameter. I'll post that process and final result.
How deep are you going in hard ground? Can you go shallow once over then deeper after it's broke up? If not you may have to see if you can get like a 2 shank ripper or something. How slow will it go?
[Reply]
Iowanian 06:42 PM 04-08-2017
I don't know...my assumption is most people will want gardens turned 4". I don't plan on doing a whole lot of adjustment at each stop. If I need multiple passes I'll do it. I cover quite a bit of garden pretty fast with 6' based on today's attempt in a wt one.

If the wind blows tonight and we miss the rain I'm going to do 2-3 tomorrow and I'll have a better idea of how it's going to work. I need to tune up the governor so I can get the RPMs up a little bit I wish it went half as fast as it does. In real hard soil I'll either turn it with my plow first or stop and go to get thrown it. I'll figure it out.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:00 PM 04-08-2017
I don't know...my assumption is most people will want gardens turned 4". I don't plan on doing a whole lot of adjustment at each stop. If I need multiple passes I'll do it. I cover quite a bit of garden pretty fast with 6' based on today's attempt in a wt one.

If the wind blows tonight and we miss the rain I'm going to do 2-3 tomorrow and I'll have a better idea of how it's going to work. I need to tune up the governor so I can get the RPMs up a little bit I wish it went half as fast as it does. In real hard soil I'll either turn it with my plow first or stop and go to get thrown it. I'll figure it out.
Wait, what? Isn't the depth controlled by your 3 point height?
[Reply]
2112 07:04 PM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Not nutsedge! And the nutsedge spray can kill the grass too (and not the nutsedge, and me, my problem spots are because of just that.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk (so spelling be damned!!!)
Nutsedge sucks. It grows two feet high in two days and grows in clusters. You have to nip it in the bud before it gets well established or it will continue to spread year by year and it is very hard to get rid of once its established and it looks like shit even after you spray it. Nutsedge is the debil
[Reply]
2112 07:12 PM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Your place looks really nice Lewdog.

Last fall I decided it was time to give covering the lateral lines another shot. I brought in another dump truck load of dirt and of course they had to dump it about a hundred yards from where I needed it. It took several days of shoveling and hauling but I finally got it all spread out and reseeded in mid October.
Use a fertilizer with a surface and subsurface insecticide to kill any chinch bugs or grubs. The time frame to apply this is in late June. I don't know about Missouri but around here the grubs hatch out and fly out as jap beetles right around 4th of July. They have sex and lay their eggs (grubs) in the same place they flew out of. Merit has a 4 month residual but has to be watered in when you use a granular. So wait until before a predicted rainfall to apply this fert around this timeframe. That will take care of your grub problem.
[Reply]
Iowanian 07:23 PM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Wait, what? Isn't the depth controlled by your 3 point height?
Somewhat yes, but there are skids on the side that limit the depth of tillage from what I can see. It's2-3 bolts to move those on each side unless I'm missing something.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:31 PM 04-08-2017
Somewhat yes, but there are skids on the side that limit the depth of tillage from what I can see. It's2-3 bolts to move those on each side unless I'm missing something.
OK. I see.

If you're going to do it twice just pick up your 3 point some and then let it dig deep.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 10:39 AM 04-09-2017
Originally Posted by D2112:
Nutsedge sucks. It grows two feet high in two days and grows in clusters. You have to nip it in the bud before it gets well established or it will continue to spread year by year and it is very hard to get rid of once its established and it looks like shit even after you spray it. Nutsedge is the debil

Sedgehammer is amazing, safe to grass and will toast nutsedge.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:17 PM 04-09-2017
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Sedgehammer is amazing, safe to grass and will toast nutsedge.
Hmmmmmmmmm. I've tried it, I'm doing something wrong I guess. I've even add the blue, and the sticky shit every time I've tried. But every year it seem to kill more grass than weed.

I think the grass struggles in that patch anyway because it reflects off a window, but the nutsedge seems to survive.

FML!!!!
[Reply]
Page 11 of 57
« First < 7891011 1213141521 > Last »
Up