ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 10
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Why aren't we happy with the safety position heading into 2019?
Direckshun 11:27 AM 03-20-2019
We just signed Mathieu, who's awesome.

I know nobody likes Sorensen's cap number, but I think he's worth it -- he's starting-caliber. He picked off Brady and stopped a 4th and 1 in the AFCCG.

Armani Watts obviously is an injury concern but all safeties are injury concerns, and Watts showed well before he went down.

Jordan Lucas looks really solid.

I don't like Eric Murray so I don't care there, but we're pretty solid at safety, as much as we are any position on the defense. We don't need to spend $12m on Earl Thomas or burn a 1st or 2nd day pick on the position.

Remember the goal: the goal is to get the defense to be league-average while the offense destroys people.

Our safety position right now is league average.

Let's invest in the positions we are less than league average at: corner, passrusher, linebacker. Basically everywhere else on the defense except for safety.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:56 AM 03-20-2019
I think LB is a bigger need right now than safety is. But if you can upgrade anywhere, you do it.
[Reply]
tmax63 11:58 AM 03-20-2019
Fuller, Ward, Breeland, Mathieu, Watts/Lucas really looks pretty good compared to last year. Don't have squat for depth but this has the looks of middle of the pack which would a marked improvement. Still a long time to tinker with the roster and churn the bottom 1/4 of the roster for better scheme fit and ability. Health will always be a key.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:59 AM 03-20-2019
A good single high safety is way more important than a MLB that might see 30% of the snaps.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 12:00 PM 03-20-2019
I think we are ok at safety going into the year as is. Obviously we could certainly be better, but we are already improved at the position from last year. And with so areas needing improvement I am ok riding with what we have if that is what happens.

That being said, beyond this season is much more shaky at the position and I would be looking to add young talent through the draft for that purpose.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:02 PM 03-20-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
A good single high safety is way more important than a MLB that might see 30% of the snaps.
They need good LB's period. SLB, WLB, MLB...whatever they can get. Let TC sort out the starters.

If they go into the season with the safeties they have now, they'd slide Dirty Dan into the box and use Tyrann at single high. Assuming they even play a lot of that, which is TBD.

Meanwhile, they'd still be getting ran all over because our LB's can't shed blocks and keep hitting the wrong gap.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:03 PM 03-20-2019
Safety isn't our weakest position on defense, but I'm not against spending a high draft pick on a stud FS.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:04 PM 03-20-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Safety isn't our weakest position on defense, but I'm not against spending a high draft pick on a stud FS.
Yeah, we're not in a place to complain about a stud in ANY defensive position.

The Defense needs a talent infusion, wherever it may come from.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 12:05 PM 03-20-2019
Dirty Dan made the INT that sent us to the super bowl
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:06 PM 03-20-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
They need good LB's period. SLB, WLB, MLB...whatever they can get. Let TC sort out the starters.

If they go into the season with the safeties they have now, they'd slide Dirty Dan into the box and use Tyrann at single high. Assuming they even play a lot of that, which is TBD.

Meanwhile, they'd still be getting ran all over because our LB's can't shed blocks and keep hitting the wrong gap.
The LBs won't have to shed as many blocks in this scheme if they get the right DL and coach them right. That's the whole point of bringing in a guy like Daly.

I know everybody hates Hitchens but he's a guaranteed starter. It appears that Ragland is too.

It's not nearly the need people think it is and if you think they're going to spend a bunch of resources on the position, you're likely to be disappointed.
[Reply]
In58men 12:06 PM 03-20-2019
I’m on the Blake Cashman train now!!!

Dude can fucking tackle and he’s all over the field.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:06 PM 03-20-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Dirty Dan made the INT that sent us to the super bowl
That was actually Ward.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:08 PM 03-20-2019
Because Sutton unfairly soured us on Lucas...
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:08 PM 03-20-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Because Sutton unfairly soured us on Lucas...
He unfairly soured us on most of the defensive players. :-)
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:12 PM 03-20-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The LBs won't have to shed as many blocks in this scheme if they get the right DL and coach them right. That's the whole point of bringing in a guy like Daly.

I know everybody hates Hitchens but he's a guaranteed starter. It appears that Ragland is too.

It's not nearly the need people think it is and if you think they're going to spend a bunch of resources on the position, you're likely to be disappointed.
Hitchens is most likely to start, sure. By default. But the Chiefs should be looking for superior talent regardless.

Ragland is just a guy who happens to be on the roster. Don't forget that the Bills traded his ass because he didn't fit their 43. I expect he'll be replaced.

And that's a lot of "If's" you have there. IF the scheme works. IF they get the right DL. IF they're coached up. And IF all that works, these guys still haven't shown that they can be relied upon to hit the correct gap in time, or be effective in coverage.

They need talent there.

All you're saying is that you hope they can mask the stench of our LB's.

Instead of masking it, they need to infuse some talent there. Because you won't mask it against playoff caliber teams.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:13 PM 03-20-2019
Remind me - what injury sidelined Watts? Knee ligament, or a broken bone?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 10
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up