ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 10
« First < 23456 78910 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Busted ankle and Opioids
Holladay 02:26 PM 03-14-2019
My big dogs were playing with me while I was on a sheet of ice. Boom goes the dynamite!

Surgery, plates and screws. I have a bottle of Oxycodone 5 mg x 42 pills. 1 pill every 4 hrs.

The day after op, I was popping them like candy. Helped a bit. 3 days after, 1 per 3.5 hrs. 6 days post op I will take 2-3 for the whole day. Wakeup, Bedtime and a misc.

So the question is how does a person become addicted to these suckers?

I still have 5 more weeks in the cast, then 2-4 in a boot.

Tomorrow, I'll see if just ibuprofen 200 mg will do.

Do they use get high? Trips? Or is there pseudo pain that people use to feel better?
[Reply]
TLO 08:09 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I took 1600mg ibuprofen during work days. Didn’t try weed because of drug testing.
1600mg at a time?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:11 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by TLO:
1600mg at a time?
no, per day. Dr. told me not to exceed that per day. Don't take more than 800mg every 4 hours.1600mg per day.
[Reply]
oldman 08:13 AM 03-15-2019
I had a similar injury several years ago. Oxy wasn't widely available until later, so they kept trying to push the Tylenol 3s on me. No thanks, I'll just use ibuprofen. I took 800 mg 3 times a day until the boot came off and then slowly worked down to 400 once a day. I've just seen too many people get dependent on that stuff. I don't think it's weakness on the part of those that get hooked, it's a physical addiction that Purude Pharma is all too glad to supply.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 08:16 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by TLO:
1600mg at a time?
I was wondering the same thing :-)
Was thinking "goodbye liver"
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 08:19 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by oldman:
I had a similar injury several years ago. Oxy wasn't widely available until later, so they kept trying to push the Tylenol 3s on me. No thanks, I'll just use ibuprofen. I took 800 mg 3 times a day until the boot came off and then slowly worked down to 400 once a day. I've just seen too many people get dependent on that stuff. I don't think it's weakness on the part of those that get hooked, it's a physical addiction that Purude Pharma is all too glad to supply.
They actually started me on Tylenol 3, then 4, before being bumped to hydrocodone 5, 7.5, and ultimately the 10s. Even though the opiate dosage is higher in the hydrocodone, I felt substantially more lethargic on the codeine
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:33 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Holladay:
The Doc warned me about that. After 2 days of being clogged up, I started eating 2-3 apples per day. It didn't take too long for Mt. Vesuvius to erupt.
Never had that issue myself.
Originally Posted by Holladay:
In my little experience (after I didn't bounce, I slept over night with 3 broken ankle bones with a little ibuprofen) I can compartmentalize the pain in a box and put it in a corner of my brain. Even with my small issue, it is DRAINING...physically and mentally.

I can't imagine nor want to try to imagine your situation!! I guess pain and the interpretation of pain is different and malleable to each person.

Hats off to you!
It's very draining. The work I do you have to have all your wits about you. I was soooo tired of the pain every day. Unless you have been there, its hard to explain. You cant escape chronic pain. It's always there. If my doctor had cut me off, I would have went to the street.

I had scatica. I've talked to the Dr. about what do poor people or have no access to medicine do about the pain? They have the same anatomy. Their nerve is getting pinched too. He said, a lot do street drugs or drink liters of alcohol. If I went to jail and couldn't have got the Oxy, I probably wouldn't have went to jail.

Saw the recent news that people were saying Oxy wasn't effective for chronic pain. No, its not a cure. But, it allows you to survive and live life the best you can until whatever issue caused the chronic pain is mitigated. I emerged on the other side, I'm sure there are others with similar experiences.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:31 AM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
What a stupid ass statement, "They do?". Nah man everyone that takes them feels like shit after they do. That's why opiates are probably the most addictive group of drugs there is. Ya know, cuz people like to feel like shit.

How many times have you taken hydro or oxy? Was it on an empty stomach?
Why is it stupid? My argument is they are abused because so many people have undiagnosed chronic pain - not because of any euphoric feeling you get. I get why you would take Cocaine. Why you would take Meth. I don't understand why you would take hydrocodone unless you were hurting.
[Reply]
stumppy 12:12 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Why is it stupid? My argument is they are abused because so many people have undiagnosed chronic pain - not because of any euphoric feeling you get. I get why you would take Cocaine. Why you would take Meth. I don't understand why you would take hydrocodone unless you were hurting.
Because like most drugs, different people are affected in different ways by the same drug.

If you knew anything at all about what you're talking about you would know that it is that euphoric feeling that people are looking for in opiates when they are addicted to them.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:20 PM 03-15-2019
Opioids (and opiates) absolutely do produce a feeling of euphoria. People tend to associate euphoria with excitement but in more general terms, euphorics produce an overwhelming feeling of satiation or happiness, unrelated to whether they are stimulants or depressants.

In fact, many people only experience euphoria with the high of a stimulant or the low of an opiate but not both. As a former drug addict that now works with drug addicts, I can tell you that most people either like uppers or downers but not both. People that like both are pretty rare.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:23 PM 03-15-2019
By the way, I know a lot of people that struggle with either opioids, heroin, or both. They are quite prevalent around here. And I've never indulged once. If I get a script, they almost always go unused. As soon as the pain is gone, I don't want them anymore.

But Adderall? Give me a month supply and it will be gone in a week. Everybody is different.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:41 PM 03-15-2019
How many times have you done opiates?

You have to be trolling with that shit. You think the reason opiates are so popular because a bunch of people have undiagnosed pain? That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. How would you ever come to that conclusion?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:00 PM 03-15-2019
no, per day. Dr. told me not to exceed that per day. Don't take more than 800mg every 4 hours.1600mg per day.
If you don't have any drug interactions (like say, taking an ACE inhibitor or ARB for blood pressure, or are on a blood thinner) and have good renal function, the actual max is 2400mg
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:04 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by dwwataz:
They actually started me on Tylenol 3, then 4, before being bumped to hydrocodone 5, 7.5, and ultimately the 10s. Even though the opiate dosage is higher in the hydrocodone, I felt substantially more lethargic on the codeine
There's a chance you could be an ultra-rapid metabolizer of CYP 2D6. Codeine is a prodrug that is in converted to morphine. A small subset of the population has more of those specific enzymes than others. If so, a "normal" dose of codeine can actually be much higher for the person in question.

This is why codeine is not given to children anymore.
[Reply]
Rawlsian 05:24 PM 03-15-2019
Math seems off here
[Reply]
BWillie 06:48 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Because like most drugs, different people are affected in different ways by the same drug.

If you knew anything at all about what you're talking about you would know that it is that euphoric feeling that people are looking for in opiates when they are addicted to them.
I've taken some opioids many times after surgeries. I don't get any euphoric feeling. I get tired, woozy and receive less pain. That is all.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 10
« First < 23456 78910 >
Up