ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs have interest in DE Markus Golden
Dante84 10:01 AM 03-14-2019

The Chiefs have expressed interest in former #Mizzou star and #Cardinals DE Markus Golden, per a source.

Golden, a St. Louis native, is a former second-round pick who led Arizona in sacks with 12.5 in 2016. Golden tore his ACL in 2017 and had 2.5 sacks in 11 starts last season.

— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) March 14, 2019

[Reply]
KCUnited 11:15 AM 03-14-2019
"pounded the table" post
[Reply]
tmax63 11:24 AM 03-14-2019
So he got an ACL fixed and only got 2.5 sacks in 2/3rds of a season coming back. That tells me that rehab and rust has been rubbed off and he's ready to go back to work. Also tells me he's about half as likely to tear an ACL again since 1 has already been fixed when compared to someone who hasn't torn any. Had DF production in 2016 so some ability must be there.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 11:33 AM 03-14-2019
Well the Chiefs need someone...Can't go into the season relying on Speaks/KPass to get to the QB for this defense.

Chiefs will need to make a couple more splashes in the secondary, whether thats in FA or hitting a HR in the draft because they're not getting to the QB this yr and they'll have to weather that storm...it's going to be a D rebuild of at least 2 yrs.
[Reply]
tmax63 11:39 AM 03-14-2019
I don't think people here at CP are giving enough credit for stealing NE's DL coach. He has been making something out of nothing for years for BB and I think if anyone can create a DL that's serviceable to good its him.
Spags is known for being good with the secondary so I guess I'm a slightly optimistic cynical realist this year.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:48 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Wanted this dude! He’s basically a Dee Ford caliber player right now but not at the outrageous price tag.
No hes not.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:49 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
No hes not.
He most certainly is. His career trajectory is almost identical to Ford's, he's a year younger, and he'll probably cost half as much.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:55 AM 03-14-2019
He only started 3 games and had 12.5 sacks that year
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:59 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
He only started 3 games and had 12.5 sacks that year
Right.

Year 1 - part time starter, 4 sacks
Year 2 - part time starter, 12.5 sacks
Year 3 - hurt
Year 4 - recovering from being hurt, still started 11 games and notched 2.5 sacks

As opposed to Ford:

Year 1 - full time backup 1.5 sacks
Year 2 - part time starter, 4 sacks
Year 3 - 10 sacks
Year 4 - hurt

He's almost a carbon copy of Dee Ford, minus Ford's rookie year and Ford's 2018 season. He's probably ready to break out this year and could be had for a fraction of what Ford got paid. It's exactly the type of move the Chiefs SHOULD make.
[Reply]
O.city 12:01 PM 03-14-2019

Boom-or-bust player. Can he recover from his ACL injury and get back to his 2016 form in which he had 12.5 sacks? https://t.co/Ldr4ssd84T

— Ted Nguyen (@FB_FilmAnalysis) March 14, 2019

[Reply]
kysirsoze 12:14 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
This. People were still pissed off that Ford missed games two years ago, but are okay with a guy that had an acl tear and only managed 2 sacks last year. :-)
An ACL tear and a back injury are NOT the same when evaluating future durability.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:15 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by kysirsoze:
An ACL tear and a back injury are NOT the same when evaluating future durability.
Golden is a boom or bust player that will likely come at a boom or bust price tag.

Ford is a boom or bust player that commanded a BOOM contract.

I can't believe people think Ford was worth the money. He's not a bad player and he was worth keeping. But not for top 5 money, that's outrageous.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:17 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by loochy:
Well, pissed off that Ford missed games and cost $16 mil this year...it's mainly the cost part
It's always been the cost part. People only read what they want to read.
[Reply]
St. Patty's Fire 12:19 PM 03-14-2019
Giving massive contracts to older players with an injury history: dumb and shortsighted

Signing players who were recently injured at lower rates, hoping that they can provide more value than their cap number/salary: extremely smart

Veach is doing the latter.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:20 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by TLO:
Is it a requirement that all players we bring in have an ACL tear in their past?
Before we were giving guys even with injury history mega long term contracts.

Today we are looking for undervalued ACL guys and giving them short term "prove it" contracts. Keep in mind that it often takes overpaying to get a short term deal instead of longer term guaranteed. I don't want long term guaranteed right now.

We don't need guys like golden to play for us 5 years. We may bring in 5 guys with acl histories on short term contracts. But if veach does well enough in the draft the hope is they're all replaced by young guns by 2021.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:26 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by JohnDONsey:
Giving massive contracts to older players with an injury history: dumb and shortsighted

Signing players who were recently injured at lower rates, hoping that they can provide more value than their cap number/salary: extremely smart

Veach is doing the latter.
Bingo. And it's possible this is just how veach wants to rebuild quickly. We may not use this same approach three years from now when our defense has hopefully hit its stride.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up