ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 140 of 361
« First < 4090130136137138139140 141142143144150190240 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 08:51 AM 03-21-2019
Welp, this is what happens when I decide to include Boeing in the fun. Sounds like it's SpaceX's race to lose.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1R12QR

Boeing delays by months test flights for U.S. human space program: sources

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Boeing Co has delayed by at least three months its first uncrewed flight to the International Space Station under NASA’s human spaceflight program, and pushed its crewed flight until November, industry sources said on Wednesday.

(more at the link)
[Reply]
DaFace 09:02 PM 03-31-2019
As always, it's possible it will slip, but here's your one-week warning for the next FALCON HEAVY launch!
[Reply]
O.city 09:07 PM 03-31-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Well, depends on how old you are. :-)

But yeah, I think we get there in the 2030s. In theory SpaceX wants to get there sooner than that, but NASA seems to have their sights on the moon, so it'll be more of a stretch for SpaceX to do it alone. Here's the general timeline as I see it:

2020-2025 - Rapid expansion of launch vehicle capabilities (New Glenn, Starship, and maybe SLS)
2025-2030 - Manned missions to the moon to start building a base and to test out technology that would allow for long-term habitats. Also, unmanned missions to Mars that take far bigger payloads than we've ever sent there before.
2030-2035 - Manned missions to Mars, but we don't stay longer than we have to. (Granted, we might have to stay quite a while since you have to wait for the right launch window.)
2035+ - Long-term missions to Mars.

Of course, that's all just guessing. We could get there earlier or much later. Or, frankly, it's possible that we never really figure out how to live on Mars long-term. We'll see.
Thanks for the update. It’s interesting stuff

Is the thought that we could actually colonize Mars?
[Reply]
DaFace 09:39 PM 03-31-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Thanks for the update. It’s interesting stuff

Is the thought that we could actually colonize Mars?
Theoretically, yes. But I'd be pretty surprised if anyone alive today ever sees more than a handful of people there at a time. It's...not exactly a hospitable place.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:14 PM 03-31-2019
I read once that it's possible to colonize Venus, and Venus could be a more hospitable place in the long run.

The problem with Venus is that it has a massive amount of carbon dioxide, which produces all sorts of problems. But there are certain types of bacteria that could survive there and that eat carbon dioxide. So you fire a rocket there that's full of those bacteria, wait a hundred years or some such time until they clean the place up, and then introduce oxygen and water. Voila - you have created an inhabitable new world.
[Reply]
Donger 09:44 AM 04-01-2019
As always, it's possible it will slip, but here's your one-week warning for the next FALCON HEAVY launch!
I, I, I, I is so excited! So excited!
[Reply]
O.city 09:58 AM 04-01-2019
Theoretically, yes. But I'd be pretty surprised if anyone alive today ever sees more than a handful of people there at a time. It's...not exactly a hospitable place.
Yeah, you get into terraforming and we just aren't anywhere close to that as a civilization yet.

Fun to think about though.
[Reply]
Donger 10:09 AM 04-01-2019
BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. —

SpaceX will attempt its second launch of the powerful, three-booster Falcon Heavy rocket this weekend.

The launch window opens at 6:36 p.m. Sunday.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:01 AM 04-04-2019
It's not much, but Starhopper has officially been lit.

RAPTOR STATIC FIRE ON STARHOPPER! @LabPadre pic.twitter.com/adF07iL1Hg

— Chris B - NSF (@NASASpaceflight) April 4, 2019

And Falcon Heavy (sans fairing) is on the pad for a static fire today!

Launch Complex 39A: The first ever Block 5 @SpaceX Falcon Heavy stands vertical in the morning light in preparation for tonight's static fire test. pic.twitter.com/HvcBlpqury

— Nathan Barker (@NASA_Nerd) April 4, 2019

[Reply]
Donger 07:29 AM 04-05-2019

And we have CONFIRMATION that #FalconHeavy's static fire has slipped to tomorrow, Friday, 5 April. Test window is 10:00-19:00 EDT (1400-2300 UTC). Launch date is slipping, too. Will not be Sunday. SpaceX will confirm a new launch date once Static Fire is complete. #Arabsat6A pic.twitter.com/waAtUQFSQt

— Chris G - NSF (@ChrisG_NSF) April 4, 2019

[Reply]
DaFace 01:33 PM 04-05-2019
https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/11...888100352?s=09

Static fire of Falcon Heavy complete—targeting April 9 launch of Arabsat-6A from Launch Complex 39A in Florida
[Reply]
unlurking 04:41 PM 04-05-2019

Max thrust of 2550 tons will be almost 10% higher than Falcon Heavy demo mission last year

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 5, 2019

[Reply]
DaFace 10:57 PM 04-05-2019

Starhopper just lifted off & hit tether limits! pic.twitter.com/eByJsq2jiw

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 6, 2019

[Reply]
unlurking 05:34 AM 04-06-2019
That thing got up quick!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:08 AM 04-06-2019
Water is the biggest issue to overcome for space travel.

If Mars doesn't have ice below the surface, the whole idea is dead in the water. Bringing water with us to a "colony" is just not sustainable.

They can make water out of thin air now. Too expensive on earth to be practical. Don't know if its even possible on Mars. The Israelis have been using desalinization to provide water since the 80's. But, that option, as far as I know is not available anywhere near us.

My son did some research in college that maybe as we travel along we could find trapped ice in large meteorites as a solution to providing water for space travel.
[Reply]
Page 140 of 361
« First < 4090130136137138139140 141142143144150190240 > Last »
Up