ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 159 of 221
« First < 59109149155156157158159 160161162163169209 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
stumppy 05:04 PM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by Festus:
I was looking at the markings. I believe northerns to be more spots on the side. Muskies have more stripes like the picture shows. It's been a long time since I was fishing in Canada and back then I had never heard of tiger muskies, which I think are a northern/muskie cross?
Yup
[Reply]
Festus 07:09 PM 03-11-2019
I grew up in Eastern KS. We used to sein crawdads out of a couple of very select farm ponds. Those big ,soft, green hawger crawdads were like candy to big catfish in the river and big ponds.
[Reply]
Rasputin 07:47 PM 03-14-2019
It better be fucking nice this weekend :-)

I don't care if it rains i just want it over 60 degrees
[Reply]
Rasputin 07:50 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by Festus:
I grew up in Eastern KS. We used to sein crawdads out of a couple of very select farm ponds. Those big ,soft, green hawger crawdads were like candy to big catfish in the river and big ponds.

Same in western kansas, I've caught many catfish with crawdaddies

fuck yeah.
[Reply]
God of Thunder 07:52 PM 03-14-2019
I have two tournaments this weekend - and haven't even tested the boat yet! Time to get rigging!
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:06 PM 03-15-2019
A fishing thread, on a football forum . . . who'da thought?

Anyway, I was a conventional bass fisherman for about three decades, even fished a few pro-am bass tourneys back when I lived in STL. Biggest bass I ever caught was out of Grand Lake in OK, oh, had to be in '91 or '92. She was caught on a red crawfish Bomber A off a floating dock during a full moon. She ended up weighing 10 lbs. 8 oz.

About 15 years ago, whenI moved to AZ, I took the leap into fly-fishing, and really haven't looked back. Mostly I fish for trout:

[Reply]
Rasputin 05:21 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
A fishing thread, on a football forum . . . who'da thought?

Anyway, I was a conventional bass fisherman for about three decades, even fished a few pro-am bass tourneys back when I lived in STL. Biggest bass I ever caught was out of Grand Lake in OK, oh, had to be in '91 or '92. She was caught on a red crawfish Bomber A off a floating dock during a full moon. She ended up weighing 10 lbs. 8 oz.

About 15 years ago, whenI moved to AZ, I took the leap into fly-fishing, and really haven't looked back. Mostly I fish for trout:

Nicely done !
[Reply]
Rasputin 05:23 PM 03-15-2019
I admire fly-fisherman its a true art. Me I like to night fish and early dawn get what i can get but other than last year in New Mexico i don't do much of trout fishing and Kansas can kiss my ass to buy a trout stamp so I don't in Kansas.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:04 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo:
I admire fly-fisherman its a true art. Me I like to night fish and early dawn get what i can get but other than last year in New Mexico i don't do much of trout fishing and Kansas can kiss my ass to buy a trout stamp so I don't in Kansas.
Thanks. The hard part is learning how to cast. The arm mechanics are so different from conventional casting it took me months to teach myself to cast acceptably, and a few years before I was considered an expert.

Fortunately, I found that gamefish behavior is fairly similar, regardless of species. So trout behavior isn't that different from bass behavior; they're just more choosy and spook easier.

Damned hobby is expensive though. I fish in WY, MT, AZ, CO, UT, and NM. That's about $500 in annual fishing licenses every year.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:28 PM 03-15-2019
You're the Man, Mr Megatron... thanks for sharing those pics

Welcome to the board!
[Reply]
Pablo 06:37 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:

Welcome to the board!
Yes indeed. He really is. Beautiful fish and I'm happy it's Spring! Love to browse this thread and see what everyone's catching. Hoping I'll get a chance to get down to the White River and get a big 'ol brown trout here soon.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:47 PM 03-15-2019
Would love to fish the White. Take some pics please. Shoulda fished it when I still lived back there.
[Reply]
Pablo 06:55 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Would love to fish the White. Take some pics please. Shoulda fished it when I still lived back there.
It's a great spot. And the next lunker I hook is gonna be put up in this thread.
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:04 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Yes indeed. He really is. Beautiful fish and I'm happy it's Spring! Love to browse this thread and see what everyone's catching. Hoping I'll get a chance to get down to the White River and get a big 'ol brown trout here soon.
Been watching this dude on youtube called Creek Fishing Adventures, 80% of what he does is try to find the biggest fish in the tiniest bodies of water... you look where he is casting and are just going WTF no way anything worth catching is in that puddle

Couple casts later and he is pulling beautiful 2-3 pound bass out it... so I went to the tiny town creek inspired by that and caught my first creek chub

It was huge for the species, big around as a full size cigar, not a sexy fish but just to see such a great example of one in that shallow, dirty creek was awesome

I still wanna hunt those 5 pound bass, but it's fun as hell to see what's possible in the smallest of streams...
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:09 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:

Welcome to the board!
Thanks Easy. With any luck I'll post a few pics here regularly. Should be going fishing next week.
[Reply]
Page 159 of 221
« First < 59109149155156157158159 160161162163169209 > Last »
Up