ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 221
« First < 3910111213 141516172363113 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 01:34 PM 07-25-2010
Went after some cats this morning with my Dad and Uncle on Lake Winnebago. My uncle lives there and said to use hotdogs for bait. I thought he was crazy as I've never fished with hotdogs. He wasn't crazy...

2 - 7 lb, 1 - 5 lb, 2 - 3 lb.
Attached: 35225_1529642409548_1489371463_31324213_4614454_n.jpg (94.7 KB) 
[Reply]
Tits McGee 02:10 PM 07-25-2010
Going out sport fishing next Saturday, Sea Bass and Sand Bass are biting at night , Blue Fin Tuna so-so, Yellow tail a million miles away, water too cold, go figure.
[Reply]
Ugly Duck 02:30 AM 07-26-2010
Rising ocean temperatures have allowed the giant Humboldt squid to move north to the Bay Area. These dang things are eating up all the fish. The salmon fishing is the worst ever so boats are going after squid instead. I guess its a good thing for calamari lovers...

[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 08:05 AM 07-26-2010
Originally Posted by Ugly Duck:
Rising ocean temperatures have allowed the giant Humboldt squid to move north to the Bay Area. These dang things are eating up all the fish. The salmon fishing is the worst ever so boats are going after squid instead. I guess its a good thing for calamari lovers...

That's a lot of calamari...
[Reply]
loochy 08:06 AM 07-26-2010
Originally Posted by Ugly Duck:

That's pretty cool. Is that you?
[Reply]
NewChief 05:01 AM 09-16-2010
This is freaking epic:

[Reply]
Toadkiller 05:11 AM 09-16-2010
I am excited, I am going fly fishing for the first time and I am going to the Deschutes here in Oregon. Can't think of a better place to go for the first time.
[Reply]
NewChief 05:12 AM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by Toadkiller:
I am excited, I am going fly fishing for the first time and I am going to the Deschutes here in Oregon. Can't think of a better place to go for the first time.
You going for steelhead?
[Reply]
Toadkiller 05:51 AM 09-16-2010
Naw, just some trout, get my line wet and relearn everything. I took a week long class 2 years ago then life got busy so I never got to go out. My waders still have the tags on them from two years ago. However I see a lot more trips in my future since I met a fishing buddy.
[Reply]
Rausch 06:05 AM 09-16-2010
Always wanted to fish off a coast/salt water fish.

Everything seems so much bigger and less work for a meal...
[Reply]
NewChief 06:28 AM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by Toadkiller:
Naw, just some trout, get my line wet and relearn everything. I took a week long class 2 years ago then life got busy so I never got to go out. My waders still have the tags on them from two years ago. However I see a lot more trips in my future since I met a fishing buddy.
Very cool. You're in a great area for it. A lot of my good friends live in Portland. FYI: there's a pretty cool event this weekend in Portland that you might be interested in. If I remember correctly, you're into urban homesteading/locavorism and such:

http://www.grandcentralbakery.com/ab...al-bakery-fair

Novella Carpenter, author of Farm City, will be speaking as well.
[Reply]
NewChief 06:29 AM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Always wanted to fish off a coast/salt water fish.

Everything seems so much bigger and less work for a meal...
I would love to live somewhere with good access to the salt. I love freshwater fishing, but the speed of some saltwater fish is just insane when you hook one.
[Reply]
Rausch 06:34 AM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by NewPhin:
I would love to live somewhere with good access to the salt. I love freshwater fishing, but the speed of some saltwater fish is just insane when you hook one.
Never have, and won't claim to know the "feel" of sea fishing, but pulling in one big fish (4lbs+) like in many of the pics seems like a more enjoyable experience than reeling in 15-20 medium sized crappie...
[Reply]
NewChief 06:42 AM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Never have, and won't claim to know the "feel" of sea fishing, but pulling in one big fish (4lbs+) like in many of the pics seems like a more enjoyable experience than reeling in 15-20 medium sized crappie...
Yeah. The difference, to me, is that the fishing itself can be very very boring in saltwater (unless you fish it enough to understand the ins and outs of it). There's no structure to look at other than water. It all pretty much looks the same (mangrove type swamps and jetties being an exception). Also, you can't just drive over to some creek, wade in, and start fishing like you can in freshwater. You often need a boat (and an expensive one at that) to access the fishing. If you're going offshore, then your fuel costs aren't going to be cheap either.

The recent saltwater kayak fishing craze is a result of that and is making saltwater more accessible to the "common" man, though. Anyway, I see your point on the size of the fish, but I'd probably take a 20 day crappie day to a 1 grouper day any day of the week. 20 crappie means there was a lot of action. 1 grouper means there was a lot of waiting.
[Reply]
Toadkiller 06:54 AM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by NewPhin:
Very cool. You're in a great area for it. A lot of my good friends live in Portland. FYI: there's a pretty cool event this weekend in Portland that you might be interested in. If I remember correctly, you're into urban homesteading/locavorism and such:

http://www.grandcentralbakery.com/ab...al-bakery-fair

Novella Carpenter, author of Farm City, will be speaking as well.
Yep we are going! One of our friends actually is a manager at a grand central. Also the flock and fiber show and then fishing on sunday, going to be a busy weekend! Thanks for the heads up.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 221
« First < 3910111213 141516172363113 > Last »
Up