ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 20
« First < 91516171819 20 >
Media Center>Falcon and The Winter Soldier trailer
KC_Connection 06:59 PM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
That's a great comparison with Watchmen and TFatWS, actually. Both could have been amazing stories, but both got drug down into the SJW mud by the people setting the story up.
I'm going to have to disagree on this one. TFatWS definitely did (the Karli/Flag Smashers story line couldn't have been any more blatant in that regard and was very poorly executed), but Watchmen was incredibly well done (and while it was a very political show, which given the initial source material shouldn't be surprising, I don't think I would characterize it as too SJW either). Probably one of the best things I've seen the past 5 years or so. I'd try giving it another chance.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:23 PM 05-03-2021
What a strange (no pun intended LOL) thing to say about one of your star characters.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:28 PM 05-03-2021
Nonetheless that’s a troubling trend.

There is a substantial difference in the way in which Black Panther addressed race (positively, secondary to the story), and F/WS did (negatively, lecturing).

Frankly I don’t need any more of the latter in my life than I already have.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:44 PM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

There is a substantial difference in the way in which Black Panther addressed race (positively, secondary to the story), and F/WS did (negatively, lecturing).

Oh yeah? Maybe you should, . . I dunno, . . . DO BETTER!?!?!
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:45 PM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

Well, it's not only that but most men are willing to invest in these movies knowing full well that our "Suspension of Disbelief" is a critical component, especially when watching non-super hero women beat the fuck out of men that are not only trained in hand-to-hand combat but weigh 50 to 100 pounds or more than the female they're battling. It's silly fun, with the emphasis on silly.

But to drop Dr. Strange from the ending of this series, especially after those commercials were such a critical component of how the story would end, is absolutely ridiculous. I mean, Dr. Strange IS the Sorcerer Supreme and Wanda was just discovering her powers, so OF COURSE he's far more powerful than her at this point in time. Dismissing Dr. Strange, like Feige did in that interview, is not only ludicrous and insulting to both the character and Cumberbatch, it's insulting to the audience as well.

If this is the path they're preparing for Phase 4 and 5, I think they're going to lose a lot of viewers.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:15 PM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Oh yeah? Maybe you should, . . I dunno, . . . DO BETTER!?!?!
Yeah, well, there are a ton of things I need to do better.

Not included in that is fixing everyone else’s lives. My cunt sister slings enough of that my way I don’t need anymore.

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Well, it's not only that but most men are willing to invest in these movies knowing full well that our "Suspension of Disbelief" is a critical component, especially when watching non-super hero women beat the fuck out of men that are not only trained in hand-to-hand combat but weigh 50 to 100 pounds or more than the female they're battling. It's silly fun, with the emphasis on silly.

But to drop Dr. Strange from the ending of this series, especially after those commercials were such a critical component of how the story would end, is absolutely ridiculous. I mean, Dr. Strange IS the Sorcerer Supreme and Wanda was just discovering her powers, so OF COURSE he's far more powerful than her at this point in time. Dismissing Dr. Strange, like Feige did in that interview, is not only ludicrous and insulting to both the character and Cumberbatch, it's insulting to the audience as well.

If this is the path they're preparing for Phase 4 and 5, I think they're going to lose a lot of viewers.
Agreed. Especially if they’re hamfisted about it. I think I mentioned before that I really enjoyed Green Book, which I fully expected not to for the reasons I didn’t like that aspect of this show.

So I’m not necessarily opposed to broaching the subject. But I don’t need to be lectured.

Same with DC, any woman-centric show, racially driven show, whatever. Just tell a compelling story and I’m in. MCU will come apart if they make too many Outings like this. I’ve always said I’ll give Marvel the rope to hang themselves with - and I still will. I just hope they don’t do it.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:25 PM 05-03-2021
Black people don't even read comics :-)
[Reply]
unlurking 12:20 PM 05-04-2021
I can understand if they were trying to avoid making Wanda look like a damsel in distress, but they still could have included him. Even a simple Back to the Future ending where he shows up at the cabin and tells her that her kids are in danger would have been nice. A simple, "didn't you get my warnings, or did you skip the commercials?" comment would have tied those up too.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:43 PM 05-04-2021
And Jon Watts, not "John" was a big time music video director with a certain visual style, along with graduating from NYU film school.
[Reply]
Jamie 12:46 AM 05-05-2021
It's pretty clear that Malcom Spellman had no business producing or writing TFATWS because it was a shit story with shit editing and looked a like Network TV show and NOT a Marvel MCU property worth $150 million dollars.
Well, you can blame him for the story, but he wasn't the editor and didn't direct a single episode. He didn't even know they were going to put "Captain America & the Winter Soldier" in the end titles of the last episode until he saw it in the cut.

I'm not even defending Spellman really, I just don't think it's a fair narrative that he singlehandedly fucked up the show. Or that's he's an inherently shitty writer who Marvel only hired because he's black.

Also I'd like to point out, we don't know to what extent they had to cut and paste the show back together to remove the virus subplot. The "shit editing" would indicate probably a lot. Especially considering the only editor credited on all 6 episodes is Jeffrey Ford, who edited all the Captain America and Avengers movies.

Originally Posted by :
I realize that you can use Wikipedia or IMDB to "dispute" but your post is rooted in complete and utter nonsense.
Facts are bullshit, good point.

Originally Posted by :
The Russo's, James Gunn and especially Joss Whedon (who I actually despise) paid their dues for more than a decade before being handed a huge, expensive, blockbuster property.
Destin Daniel Cretton directed his first film 13 years ago.

Originally Posted by :
And IMDB doesn't account for all of those years spent as Writer's Assistants or PA's or any other type of work that's required to rise in the ranks.
IMDB does actually credit Writer's Assistants and PAs. None of these guys started out that way though.

And Jon Watts, not "John" was a big time music video director with a certain visual style, along with graduating from NYU film school.
Well, if we're being petty, you had "Daniel Creston (Shang Ti)" and "Marcus Spellman". Then you edited to fix the "Marcus" and still misspelled it "Malcom".

And was Watts a "big time" music video director? I think I've seen like two of these. But that's a tangent on Jon Watts that is beside the point. To reiterate, my point is Marvel isn't hiring minority directors who are way below the level of director they've hired in the past. Kevin Feige has even said publicly, they target young directors who have shown an ability to handle character, because they know the Marvel machine will handle the spectacle.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:10 AM 05-05-2021
Originally Posted by Jamie:
Everything you've posted on this subject is fucking worthless and outright fucking stupid.

You're stating that it's standard M.O. in Hollywood to give anyone that's written a few episodes of a TV series a $150 million dollar Marvel project, which couldn't be any fucking further from the truth.

There are tens of thousands of people in town that have decades writing for TV series and even feature films that will NEVER sniff a Marvel film, let alone, a TV series with a budget of TFATWS. That's an undeniable FACT.

I mean, fuckin' A, man, if it was THAT easy to get a series, people wouldn't work their asses off for no money for years on end in order to at least get a break. And the worst part is, this isn't the first time you've pulled this shit. You're just some assclown in a small town somewhere in Missouri who thinks he's got it all figured out but you're unbelievably fucking CLUELESS. And IMDB credits need to be entered by the individual and confirmed. Most people don't put the work they've done for FREE or as interns on their IMDB page.

Now, for the love of God, please SHUT THE FUCK UP.
[Reply]
Jamie 01:16 PM 05-05-2021
Everything you've posted on this subject is fucking worthless and outright fucking stupid.

You're stating that it's standard M.O. in Hollywood to give anyone that's written a few episodes of a TV series a $150 million dollar Marvel project, which couldn't be any fucking further from the truth.

There are tens of thousands of people in town that have decades writing for TV series and even feature films that will NEVER sniff a Marvel film, let alone, a TV series with a budget of TFATWS. That's an undeniable FACT.
That's not what I'm saying or what I said. Bold of you to strawman my argument when I literally just restated it in my last post.

Originally Posted by :
I mean, fuckin' A, man, if it was THAT easy to get a series, people wouldn't work their asses off for no money for years on end in order to at least get a break. And the worst part is, this isn't the first time you've pulled this shit. You're just some assclown in a small town somewhere in Missouri who thinks he's got it all figured out but you're unbelievably fucking CLUELESS. And IMDB credits need to be entered by the individual and confirmed. Most people don't put the work they've done for FREE or as interns on their IMDB page.

Now, for the love of God, please SHUT THE FUCK UP.
Plus mixing up your customary appeal to authority with some ad hominem? As the kids say, *chef's kiss*.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:30 PM 05-05-2021
Originally Posted by Jamie:
That's not what I'm saying or what I said. Bold of you to strawman my argument when I literally just restated it in my last post.

Plus mixing up your customary appeal to authority with some ad hominem? As the kids say, *chef's kiss*.
You have absolutely no business discussing a subject that you clearly know absolutely nothing about.

I have a good friend that's written, co-written, produced and executive produced more than 800 episodes of network TV. I'm not talking Lifetime Network, I'm talking CBS, NBC and ABC. He's also written or co-written four different movies that have earned more than $150 million dollars at the box office, one of which earned more than $200 million.

Last Fall, I asked if he was working on anything cool during the pandemic, to which he responded "I'm working on a Marvel pitch". I was super excited for him and because of your stupid, uninformed and asinine posts in this thread, I reached out to him this morning to find out how it was going.

"Well, as it turns out, I have some juice in this town but apparently not enough to get a pitch meeting with Marvel".

I was floored but not surprised, considering the climate in Hollywood right now. A guy that's had 4 "winners" at the box office, a Netflix series on its 4th season who produced massive hit shows can't get a meeting with Marvel, most likely because he's a 57 year old white male. But Malcom Spellman and his 8 episodes of Empire can get a Marvel property and Daniel Cretton, with a couple of dopey films under his belt that didn't make any money, can get a Marvel property.

You're fucking outright clueless to what's happening right now.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:53 PM 05-04-2021
Watts made a great little movie with Kevin Bacon called ‘Cop Car’ before Spider Man.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 02:46 PM 05-05-2021
I had nearly forgotten Marvel hired Sam Raimi to make the Dr Strange sequel. He’s the ultimate ‘geek’ director.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 20
« First < 91516171819 20 >
Up