ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 140
< 123 45671353103 > Last »
Hall of Classics>Broken Planes & Families, and the number 159
Frankie 01:17 PM 07-31-2011
Passenger jet breakes in two! How safe are those planes we ride everyday? :-)

http://news.yahoo.com/cheers-screams...185128270.html

GEORGETOWN, Guyana (AP) — Officials say a U.S. team is expected soon in the South American nation of Guyana to probe the crash of a Boeing 737 jetliner that all 163 people aboard survived.

Authorities so far have given little idea about the cause of Saturday's crash. The Caribbean Airlines plane ran off the end of a runway at Guyana's main airport and broke in two. About 30 people had to be treated at a local hospital, including the pilot.

The airline is largely owned by the government of Trinidad and Tobago and its prime minister has visited the crash site. Kamla Persad-Bissessar says she is worried that the accident will hurt tourism to the Caribbean, a region that depends heavily on the industry.
[Reply]
Donger 04:23 PM 07-31-2011
Originally Posted by Frankie:
Planes have never broken apart in mid air, right?
Like what is shown above? No, none that I know of.

Here's how strong these buggers are. This a wing-loading test of a 777. It survives until 154% of maximum design stress.

[Reply]
threebag 04:24 PM 07-31-2011
Depends if hey get their sandals lit or not in flight
[Reply]
Bearcat 04:25 PM 07-31-2011
I saw it happen once about 7 years ago... followed the aftermath pretty closely for a while, but got bored after a few seasons. I wonder if Jack and Kate ever fucked.

Eh.
[Reply]
007 04:29 PM 07-31-2011
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I saw it happen once about 7 years ago... followed the aftermath pretty closely for a while, but got bored after a few seasons. I wonder if Jack and Kate ever ****ed.

Eh.
:-)
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 04:30 PM 07-31-2011
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58:
I'm not sure whether I should :-), :-) or :-)
Definitely going with the facepalm.

[Reply]
Phobia 06:56 PM 07-31-2011
Structural fatigue vs air (no matter how aerodynamic) and vibration can create a similar failure.
Hey - you go ahead and stick with your agenda if you'd like. It's your life.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 07:00 PM 07-31-2011
Originally Posted by jet62:
Airplanes are not supposed to go on off runway excursions. Looks like the nose gear dug into the soft ground after running off the end of the runway. Pilot could have landed long and ran out of runway before being able to stop. Also throw in heavy rain and bad visibility. It’s hard to come to a sudden stop mid air unless you hit a mountain. Besides, it's a Boeing. I won't break up in the air unless helped by a bomb, missile or an unmaintained, aged and corroded airframe.
This all day.
[Reply]
Dallas Chief 07:08 PM 07-31-2011
Sorry but I have to say this...

Am I the only one who sees the irony in Frankie starting a thread about the structural integrity of the 737? Jack Bauer called, Frankie, and he would like to have a word with you. :-)
[Reply]
Chiefspants 07:10 PM 07-31-2011
Structural fatigue vs air (no matter how aerodynamic) and vibration can create a similar failure.
=(
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:18 PM 07-31-2011
Refund!!!
[Reply]
Frankie 10:22 PM 07-31-2011
Originally Posted by jet62:
.....Besides, it's a Boeing. I won't break up in the air unless helped by a bomb, missile or an unmaintained, aged and corroded airframe.
That's what I've been saying, but the collective guarantee of our resident scientists and structural engineers here have guaranteed that it absolutely cannot happen is good enough for me. :-)
[Reply]
Frankie 10:26 PM 07-31-2011
Originally Posted by Dallas Chief:
Sorry but I have to say this...

Am I the only one who sees the irony in Frankie starting a thread about the structural integrity of the 737? Jack Bauer called, Frankie, and he would like to have a word with you. :-)
May a diuretic camel find a high position directly above you.

:-)
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:04 AM 08-01-2011

Only when they are cut in half by one of our missiles.
[Reply]
blaise 05:18 AM 08-01-2011
There have been planes where part of the roof came off during flight. An Aloha Airlines flight had that happen.
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 07:17 AM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by Donger:
Like what is shown above? No, none that I know of.

Here's how strong these buggers are. This a wing-loading test of a 777. It survives until 154% of maximum design stress.

I was expecting it to break close to the fuselage but it actually snapped close to the middle. Those things are very well engineered. Nice vid.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 140
< 123 45671353103 > Last »
Up