ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Some people on this forum need to be nicer to Dave Toub
RealSNR 04:49 PM 10-20-2019
They seem to be under the impression that our special teams unit sucks or just hasn't been good enough for awhile now. A few of the dumber fans have even suggested that Toub needs to go. Bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit.

This is another example of people not seeing the forest for the fucking trees when it comes to this team during the Andy Reid era. They get so obsessed over the illegal block in the back penalties and how he coaches his returners to attempt to make a play whenever possible. Seriously? THOSE TWO things are your main criteria for determining whether we have a good special teams coordinator or not?!

Is there nothing to be said for him having 3 different place kickers since 2013, and how none of them have ever shit the bed and turned into Mason Crosbys, Blair Walshes, or Cody Parkeys?

Or how about the BIGGEST part of special teams: Returns. Did you know the Chiefs have never allowed a special teams return TD of ANY TYPE during Toub's tenure? Meanwhile, they themselves have scored 11 kickoff/punt return TDs? "Oh but it's all Tyreek," you might say. Nope. Tyreek only accounts for 5 of those 11 return TDs.

So here are some stats. You can look up any year you want at both of the links

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/...eturn/dir/desc

Here are the Chiefs in the return game

2013: 2 kr TDs (Quinton Demps, Knile Davis) 2 pr TDs (Dexter McCluster)
Rankings: 1st in kick return average, 6th in punt return average

2014: 1 kr TD (Knile Davis) 1 pr TD (DeAnthony Thomas)
Rankings: 2nd in kick return average, 4th in punt return average

2015: [none]
Rankings: 21st in kick return average, 18th in punt return average

2016: 1 kr TD (Tyreek Hill) 2 pr TD (Tyreek Hill)
Rankings: 9th in kick return average, 1st in punt return average

2017: 1 pr TD (Tyreek Hill)
Rankings: 9th in kick return average, 25th in punt return average

2018: 1 pr TD (Tyreek Hill)
Rankings: 8th in kick return average, 3rd in punt return average

Apart from 2015 and an anomalous 2017 in punt returns, the Chiefs have always been top 10 in average return yards per punt and kickoff.

I've been trying to find statistics for team kick and punt coverage and I can't quite find any. Here's this shit from Football Outsiders, though. No clue if this is a good metric to use or not, but here are their total special teams rankings:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst/2018

2013: 1st
2014: 3rd
2015: 9th
2016: 1st
2017: 4th
2018: 2nd

Anybody still want to claim that Toub sucks?
[Reply]
lewdog 08:06 PM 10-20-2019
And you need to be nicer to Frank Clark, OP.

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
RealSNR 08:09 PM 10-20-2019
Originally Posted by SupDock:
Ok then
In the 6-year span prior to this season that Toub has been a coach with the Chiefs...

-They're among the NFL's best in generating big plays on returns.

-They're among the NFL's best in preventing other teams from generating big plays on returns.

-They've coached/scouted/acquired kickers who don't suck and lose big games for them

So no... people shouldn't care about DAT or all the penalties. Because he's among the best in the league at doing the actual important parts of his job.
[Reply]
Molitoth 08:14 PM 10-20-2019
Toub is fine, but DAT has to go.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 08:15 PM 10-20-2019
How come every time Hardman gets a big return the very next punt return we have DAT out there
[Reply]
TimeForWasp 08:36 PM 10-20-2019
Originally Posted by KC Hawks:
Do you think Terrance Copper would've been the greatest special teamer of all time under Toub?

I liked Copper.
[Reply]
JakeF 11:17 PM 10-20-2019
Originally Posted by wazu:
Okay but he needs to stop having our guys run it out of the end zone.
Toub must think it's a good idea or they would have stopped.
[Reply]
Rasputin 02:45 AM 10-21-2019
I don't have a problem with Toub but i want to see Pringle get opportunities to return punts and kicks. I've seen Pringle gun down punt returners so he is a contributor on ST he deserves chance to field kicks. Also I'd like to see Hardman return kicks also maybe Pringle field kick returns and Hardman punt returns but they both should get reps.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 02:55 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:
And you need to be nicer to Frank Clark, OP.

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's pretty clear to me that the OP obviously wants to have sex with Frank Clark. So he starts a negative thread about him and then proceeds to create this powder puff everyone-needs-to-give-Toub-a-hug thread to make Clark jealous. Classic negging, to be honest.
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:10 AM 10-21-2019
and frank clark sux? :-)
[Reply]
Chiefs Moon 04:48 AM 10-21-2019
Dave Toub was the GOAT.
[Reply]
SupDock 07:47 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
In the 6-year span prior to this season that Toub has been a coach with the Chiefs...

-They're among the NFL's best in generating big plays on returns.

-They're among the NFL's best in preventing other teams from generating big plays on returns.

-They've coached/scouted/acquired kickers who don't suck and lose big games for them

So no... people shouldn't care about DAT or all the penalties. Because he's among the best in the league at doing the actual important parts of his job.
That's quite the hot take.
don't worry about penalties or poor return decisions on special teams?
Completely disagree. Feel free to link that gif you love so much
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:51 AM 10-21-2019
I think Mecole is being groomed to take over at PR. They don't fully trust him yet on punts going to our end of the field.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 07:55 AM 10-21-2019
We average around 21 yards per kickoff return. Why bring it out of the endzone??

Also, last week Hardman had a great punt return. 10 minutes later we forced another punt and DAT was back returning it. Luckily they had an awful fake.
[Reply]
scho63 09:22 AM 10-21-2019
All the penalties and shitting the bed with DAT as your main punt returner.....

I think he deserves some harsh criticism.
[Reply]
ghak99 09:42 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
How come every time Hardman gets a big return the very next punt return we have DAT out there
The DAT crap is probably the result of him being one of Reid's special toys, but Toub did stick up for him on the ignorant fair catch issue a game or two ago so who knows.

Either way, he needs cut so we can use the roster spot on someone who won't intentionally pin us inside the 5.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up