ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Who is the better coach?
Andy Reid 90 82.57%
Marty Schottenheimer 10 9.17%
Gaz's mom 9 8.26%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Nzoner's Game Room>Who do you consider the better coach?
lewdog 01:20 PM 10-20-2019
Marty and Andy tied at 200 wins all-time. 6th position in NFL history.

Let's have a spirited, thoughtful and honest conversation about who Chiefs fan would consider the better coach.

1 Don Shula 328
2 George Halas 318
3 Bill Belichick 267
4 Tom Landry 250
5 Curly Lambeau 226
6 Marty Schottenheimer/Andy Reid 200
8 Chuck Noll 193
9 Dan Reeves 190
10 Chuck Knox 186
[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:46 PM 10-20-2019
If Marty had hired Andy as his OC, he would have been the better coach.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:56 PM 10-20-2019
Originally Posted by JakeF:
He didn't develop any of those other than Bernie.
Actually he did. Rivers and Brees he absolutely had a hand in developing
[Reply]
oldman 09:40 PM 10-20-2019
In today's NFL where an elite QB is a must, Andy. In the days where defense was king, Marty. Neither put it all together ----yet.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 09:42 PM 10-20-2019
Originally Posted by Bump:
Marty benched Rich Gannon, who had the Chiefs on a roll, right before the playoffs for Elvis ****ing Grbac. Case closed.
BOOM!!!! :-):-):-)
[Reply]
tk13 10:36 PM 10-20-2019
They both did amazing turnaround jobs with the Chiefs. Even now I think people almost forget just how low this organization was when Reid took over. It was a complete disaster on and off the field.

As a whole though they're probably going to both be lumped in together unless Andy wins a Super Bowl. Marty suffered some of the most worst losses ever though. The Drive and the Fumble both happened to Marty. That's pretty brutal, in the history of football those two one-word events happened to the same coach. Marty should have gotten to a Super Bowl.

And that doesn't even include 2006. The Chargers had the Patriots down. Who knows what happens if Marlon McCree doesn't fumble away a Brady INT with like 5-6 minutes left. Chargers still had a chance to put the game away after that though and failed.
[Reply]
scho63 08:08 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by Bump:
Marty benched Rich Gannon, who had the Chiefs on a roll, right before the playoffs for Elvis fucking Grbac. Case closed.

BINGO! :-)

[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 08:14 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:
But did Marty get more out of a shittier roster/players?
Yes.

Originally Posted by lewdog:
Did Andy piss away those loaded Eagles teams?
And yes.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 09:46 AM 10-21-2019
Give me Reid running the offense, Marty running the defense, (and Vermeil running the special teams). That might just be the most dominant team ever. But I don't know about which of them are the best. Like it was said above they are polar opposites, yet successful to the same extent. Neither of them has been able to win a ring. But I give the edge to Reid because of his much better playoff record.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 10:00 AM 10-21-2019
HANK STRAM
[Reply]
tyecopeland 12:02 PM 10-21-2019
I need ubeja to tell me who was faster before I can make an educated vote.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 12:33 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
This. Both got the Chiefs to an AFCCG, and both lost.

The difference is, Marty was able to get teams with less talent to overachieve. Andy seems to have some of the most talented rosters that underachieve.
Marty had a ton of talent with all this Chief playoff teams in the 90s and Reid took a team with a backup QB Jeff Garcia all the way to the NFCCG. I think they are pretty even in that department.

I have to give the edge to Reid due to his better playoff record.

Marty - 5-13
Reid - 11-12

Other than that I think they are pretty even. Both great HC coaches though.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 03:22 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Andy turned a murder-suicide Chiefs to a team that just made me want to commit suicide in the playoff loss to the Colts. That was a real upgrade with minimal talent uplift.
:-)
:-)
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 03:21 AM 10-22-2019
I will always remember the video of Marty walking the sideline, telling every player in the San Diego secondary that when they make the game winning interception, to just go down. He literally told them all.

It's not his fault that the DB didn't listen, got stripped, and they lost to the Pats.

He didn't make Biner fumble at the goal line. He didn't make the radio go out against Denver and he didn't make that ridiculous offensive pass interference call against TG in the same game. And he didn't make Lin Elliott miss three FGs.

I know Reid has been to a SB, but I pick Marty. Reid cannot manage the clock or pick good defensive coaches. Marty helped bring Montana and Marcus Allen in, and that was a good offense. Marty actually had some decent offenses. Nothing like DV or Reid, but we had a great running game almost every year, and had games where we scored a lot of points. Unfortunately, he just always fell short in the playoffs.

Yeah, I take Marty.

Edit: Also, Reid has 2 of the only 4 playoff losses after leading by at least 18 points in the second half. Both of those are as the Chiefs head coach.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Rasputin 05:08 AM 10-22-2019
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4:
HANK STRAM
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up