ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 72
« First < 121819202122 2324252632 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2019 Missouri Tigers Football Thread****
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:48 AM 08-31-2019
The 2019 season brings uncertainty, as the protracted appeal over a ridiculous "scandal" with a single actor still has not been resolved. On the field, Mizzou faces what appears to be a much easier schedule than in years' past. The early season is loaded with home games before a protracted road stretch from mid-October through November.

Schedule:

Spoiler!

Recruiting:

Spoiler!

Hamas' Crystal ball sees a lot of variance. I could see this team winning as few as 7 and as many as 10 games. Georgia is the only certain loss. Florida is likely still overrated by name, but time will tell.

Official prediction: 9-3. Recruiting prediction: slightly disappointing

FIRE ODOM. NOW
[Reply]
Mosbonian 05:12 PM 10-20-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Because vast majority of the fans here make endless excuses for mediocrity. It's not much different than talking about the Chiefs before Mahomes. There are always excuses and endless, "if...then" statements.

The most prominent Mizzou-related voices (Dearmond, TJ Moe) are backfilling for him on social media. If you go to some of the other Mizzou-related discussion sites (RockM), you'll see a heavy population of people that make excuses for recruiting (like they didn't just drop $95 million on that south endzone), and how difficult it is to not be a blue blood in CFB, while totally ignoring some real institutional advantages Mizzou has--like being the only FBS school in the state--not just P5, but FBS. In comparison, Kansas has two FBSschools, Oklahoma 2, Iowa 2, Illinois 2, Kentucky 3, Tennessee 4, Arkansas 2 and all of those, save Arkansas have multiple P5 schools.

Because all of the media in Columbia is effectively an arm of the J-School, there is never any local pressure on the coaches. There have been excuses for every slapdick for decades, even Kim Anderson.

We should call these people anchor fans, because they weigh the program down and prevent forward progress.
Yeah....Gabe is really disappointing with his homerism these days, and quite frankly I've never really read much of Moe's stuff.

I have never understood the "little brother" mentality that is pervasive at MU. It is the largest institution in Missouri but it acts like it has an inferiority complex. The way they have approached this appeal on the post season ban is indicative of their timidity.

The sad part is that most of the SEC sees us no differently than they see Vandy, Arkansas or Kentucky....a doormat for the rest of the conference.

And MU is living down to that reputation.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 05:18 PM 10-20-2019
Why wouldn't they? MU has shown that they are clearly content with being mediocre.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:37 PM 10-20-2019
Funny to see Gabe referred to as a homer.

We’re friends and talk regularly - pretty much daily - so that off-the-record view I see of him may make him seem different compared to what everyone else gets.

He definitely doesn’t actually believe Odom can do no wrong. I think he does believe Mizzou is not guaranteed to upgrade (and that while being a disappointing 7-8 win team seems like one kind of hell, it
Wouldn’t take much to fall into the delusionary cycle of Tennessee and Nebraska, which is another altogether.

If Odom loses out, he would be on the hot seat next year. If he ends up at 7-8 wins again, it would take something off-the-field to squash him after this year.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 06:18 PM 10-20-2019
MU could certainly upgrade from Barry Odom if they wanted to. That's the problem though.

Winning just isn't a priority here. If it were, Kimmy would have been one and done.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:53 PM 10-20-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
MU could certainly upgrade from Barry Odom if they wanted to. That's the problem though.

Winning just isn't a priority here. If it were, Kimmy would have been one and done.
As a fan of a school that fired 3 different guys who could win 9 games a year I would tell you to be cautious.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:11 PM 10-20-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
As a fan of a school that fired 3 different guys who could win 9 games a year I would tell you to be cautious.
Scott Frost has been one of the more odd cases.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 12:25 AM 10-21-2019
Scott Frost has been one of the more odd cases.
I dont want to hijack this thread but I think nationally people underestimate what a rebuild job the program was and hes done a good job recruiting. Theyll be fine in a few years.

It sounds like Mizzou fans want to fire Odom and hire someone who will win 9+ games off the bat. Who's out there who can do that?
[Reply]
Mosbonian 03:56 AM 10-21-2019
I dont want to hijack this thread but I think nationally people underestimate what a rebuild job the program was and hes done a good job recruiting. Theyll be fine in a few years.

It sounds like Mizzou fans want to fire Odom and hire someone who will win 9+ games off the bat. Who's out there who can do that?
I would sit thru a couple of losing seasons to get a Coach who wouldn't be embarrassed on a nationally televised game on a regular basis
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:28 AM 10-21-2019

Who are you on?

Clawson, mentioned earlier, is interesting, but he also isn’t someone who would
generate much buzz.

I haven’t paid much attention, because I know he’ll be back next year, but who do people see available post 2020 that they like?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:58 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Who are you on?

Clawson, mentioned earlier, is interesting, but he also isn’t someone who would
generate much buzz.

I haven’t paid much attention, because I know he’ll be back next year, but who do people see available post 2020 that they like?
If he doesn't get a job next year, Alex Grinch might be the logical choice at this point.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:31 AM 10-21-2019
Barry Odom isn't the reason that Kelly Bryant combined the worst parts of Alex Smith and Matt Cassel into a single passer yesterday.

Everyone's trying to make this a lot more complicated than it is. Kelly Bryant left 200 yards+ of offense on the field yesterday by being a pussy, dropping his eyes and not following his progressions at all.

We haven't had that poor a game under center since Farmer and people want to use that as some justification for firing Barry Odom?

Bryant played like shit early, got skittish and reluctant to pull the trigger, then forced a fucking AWFUL interception when he had 2 guys open in front of him because he never took his eyes off Albert O.

You couldn't play that position more poorly if you tried. Kelly Bryant murdered the Tigers chances of winning that game yesterday.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 10:48 AM 10-21-2019
Kelly Bryant wasn't the only reason MU lost on Saturday although he is a big reason.

But the fact that MU came in totally unprepared to beat a woeful Vandy team, who up to that point, hadn't been able to stop a running game is all square on Odom and his coaches.

And it isn't the first time either...

The road to a 10-2 season was all set up this year....the fact that MU lost to Wyoming and Vandy already rests with the coaches and the players.
[Reply]
Matrix 11:04 AM 10-21-2019

Mizzou shouldn't let the ghost of Warren Powers prevent them from getting better. You don't learn on the job in the SEC.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:10 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
If he doesn't get a job next year, Alex Grinch might be the logical choice at this point.

I like Alex Grinch, too. Not sure he makes it another year before getting his own gig. He could probably jump to a non P5 of his choice after this season.

I’m not sure he’d recruit much differently than Odom.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:17 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by Matrix:
Mizzou shouldn't let the ghost of Warren Powers prevent them from getting better. You don't learn on the job in the SEC.

That’s a fair point. It also should take a cautionary page from what has befallen programs with more resources (Nebraska and Tennessee are great examples) that have been impatient with coaches and cycled through a bunch.

Finding the right coach is like finding a partner when you don’t believe in soul mates. Sometimes you know right away, sometimes you need to give it some time.

Missouri’s ceiling as a program is doing something like what Wisconsin or Virginia Tech or Oklahoma State have done. It can’t elevate itself into the truly elite tier without the combination of a historically great coach and a money man willing to spend a fortune supporting the program. (You could argue Okie Lite fits that criteria, and it isn’t elite, either).

It took Barry Alvarez and Bud Foster more than 4 years to get things rolling in their jobs.

Sometimes it just does.

I’m not all in on Odom, and the letdowns are maddening. I’m just not going to blindly expect literally anyone to be better.

The biggest gripe with him is the perceived poor recruiting in-state. That’s driven almost entirely by St. Louis. That’s a very weird recruiting dynamic, where the “Country of St. Louis” attitude (ie St Louis kinship over state kinship) is alive and well.

Personally, I’m not sure how often the St. Louis stars are worth the trouble (in football). Mizzou always has to do more than other schools - even peer programs - to get those kids, it seems.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 72
« First < 121819202122 2324252632 > Last »
Up