ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 13
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Sammy Watkins mulling sitting out 2020 season
Hoover 09:07 AM 02-05-2020
Link

I appreciate Watkins being open about this. Curious to see if the Chiefs would be cool with him skipping OTAs if we signed a team friendly extension. I do think this really cools the trade market for him. Going to be interesting.

Originally Posted by :
Sammy Watkins spent part of the week leading up to Super Bowl LIV musing that he might take a year off from football if the Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl.

Two days after K.C. hoisted the Lombardi Trophy after knocking off the San Francisco 49ers, Watkins told SiriusXM NFL Radio that he is still considering some sort of break from the game this offseason, whether he's a member of the Chiefs or not.

"At the end of the day, I think the Kansas City Chiefs are in control as far as contract talks, you know? A guy of my stature, I'm still young, I still think I have a lot of good football in me. But as you know, it takes a toll on the body, the mental, the physical and I'm gonna really weigh my options out and see if I need to sit out the whole OTAs or something like that, just to get my mental back and be with my kids and family," Watkins said. "It's been a long season for the last two years. We've been in the playoffs, going all the way to the third round last year, then won the Super Bowl. So I honestly think mentally, physically, soulfully, spiritually, I need some downtime. So I will talk to coach [Andy] Reid about it.

"I don't control the contract, a trade or if they're going to give me a bigger contract. That's not my worry. I'm not really focused on the money aspect of it. I'm really focused on my health, mental health and really checking in on and making sure I'm OK with my life, my family, my wife, my kids. Once I figure that out, I think I'll be fine."

After four seasons with the Buffalo Bills and the Los Angeles Rams, Watkins signed a three-year deal worth $48 million with Kansas City during the 2018 offseason. After two so-so regular seasons and two spectacular postseasons, during which he dealt with injuries and played in 29 games, Watkins has one year left on his deal and is owed $14 million in 2020. However, if the Chiefs were to move on from Watkins, they would take on only $7 million in dead cap.

All this begs questions in the offseason as to whether K.C. want to retain Watkins at that price, whether the Chiefs will try to trade the receiver or whether they will renegotiate his deal. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported last week that Kansas City is more likely to trade or release Watkins. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero said Tuesday afternoon that the Chiefs want to work something out with Watkins, though it won't be easy.

And then there's the query as to whether Watkins is willing to play on a pay cut or at all, given his recent comments. The receiver answered that definitively on SiriusXM NFL Radio, saying he has no intention to walk away.

"I'm too young to retire. I have not done enough yet, you know what I mean?" Watkins said. "Why not go win another championship and continue to be great? ... Be a Pro Bowl receiver. Be an All-Pro. There are a lot of things I haven't accomplished yet being. The Super Bowl is one of the biggest accomplishments in this league but I haven't did the individual goals yet and hopefully I can accomplish those next year either with the Kansas City Chiefs or another team.

"Those are the little things I want to hit, not to be selfish, but those are things I haven't really done in my career and those are things I want to do. Hopefully the next eight, nine years if I continue to be blessed and play that long, that I have those Hall of Fame numbers that I'm shooting for. Those are the dreams that I still haven't accomplished yet and those are the things I still want to accomplish."

At just 26 years old, Watkins has already reached the peak of professional football. But as he said, the receiver has not reached his personal goals. A 2014 first-round pick, Watkins has yet to reach the Pro Bowl or be voted to an All-Pro team. He has gone over 1,000 receiving yards in a season just once and averaged 707.3 yards per year through six campaigns. After scoring eight touchdowns in 2017, Watkins has logged just six in the past two regular seasons.

Now that he has won the Super Bowl, these are the numbers that stand out to him, the things to drive him to want to play on, for Kansas City or another team.

All Watkins needs is a little time off to get his head (and contract situation) right.

[Reply]
Cosmos 05:05 PM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:

2 games.

So many.
Weren’t they’re a game or two where he came out after a series, and sat the rest of the game?

I want to see Pringle get some run. He was physical after the catch, and had good speed.
[Reply]
BossChief 05:06 PM 02-05-2020
Can’t keep Watkins at anywhere near 16m per when we have a lot of mouths to feed that provide more impact.

Can’t cut him, though. Gotta get a pick for him. Even if it’s a 4th.
[Reply]
Molitoth 05:07 PM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
:-):-)

Dipstick
lol - okay, how?

Because YOU think Hardman is not ready, he's not?

Let's see those NFL scouting creds man.

also:

Originally Posted by :
Sammy was having a 1v1 discussion with Veach on the stage at the end of the parade address. Sammy looked pretty serious. Negotiating maybe?

Yeah, Sammy Watkins chose today on stage to negotiate. You fucking dumbass.
[Reply]
poolboy 05:07 PM 02-05-2020
Sammy is talking out his arse right here
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 05:20 PM 02-05-2020
I really like Sammy and what he’s done for the team, but I doubt KC comes to terms he will agree to. Players always say that want to stay etc after big wins, but when it comes down to losing +$10M per year at the end of your career, that’s a big deal. I hope he takes a big contract somewhere else because that’s what is best for him and his family.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:44 PM 02-05-2020
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
lol - okay, how?

Because YOU think Hardman is not ready, he's not?

Let's see those NFL scouting creds man.

also:

Yeah, Sammy Watkins chose today on stage to negotiate. You ****ing dumbass.
That part was tongue-in-cheek, maybe you've heard of it.

And I don't need any scouting creds to see that Hardman is still in the infancy of his career as a WR. Anyone with eyes that's watched real WRs run routes can see that he's still really raw.

Or, maybe you can't. That part is not tongue-in-cheek.

And you're a retard if you think that somehow Mecole, with just a year or two of college WR experience, is somehow further along than Jerry Rice was, who had been paying the position through college. Or that Mecole is somehow going to work harder at his craft than Jerry did. Or that he's smarter than Jerry.

Mecole who knew about three routes when he arrived in KC.

The fact is that WRs have a lot to learn when they enter the league, and it usually does take them a couple three years to adjust. To refine their technique and mechanics, timing, and so on.

Didn't you know that?

And just why do you think Mecole kind of disappeared in the last few weeks of the season? Why he wasn't much of a factor in the passing game in the playoffs? If he's so ready, why didn't he just dominate in the post-season?

Yeah, I'm guessing you have no idea.
[Reply]
Halfcan 05:53 PM 02-05-2020
Maybe the Bills will trade for him?

They are just dumb enough to do it.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 12:48 PM 02-06-2020

In discussing Chiefs' roster on NFL Live, my expectation is Sammy Watkins wouldn't take a pay cut from $14M salary if asked. He knows his free agent market would be strong. Travis Kelce, who has two years left, might give Chiefs a friendly nudge once George Kittle gets paid.

— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) February 6, 2020

[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 12:55 PM 02-06-2020
The price of success. Part of what makes it so hard to stay on top, and why drafting well will remain the #1 priority for the front office.

The 2019 draft is a great sign of what we could do moving forward.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:00 PM 02-06-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Bye Watkins.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 01:06 PM 02-06-2020
It would be great to trade him for picks. Lord knows we need them.
[Reply]
MahomesKnows 01:29 PM 02-06-2020
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky:
It would be great to trade him for picks. Lord knows we need them.
I wonder if someone would give up a third for him? WR is supposed to be deep this year. Just go ahead and use that pick on his replacement. I'd sign a veteran guy as well. Have to think there will be several who'd love to play with Mahomes.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:40 PM 02-06-2020
Originally Posted by Cosmos:
Weren’t they’re a game or two where he came out after a series, and sat the rest of the game?

I want to see Pringle get some run. He was physical after the catch, and had good speed.
He did have an extra game where he suited up and only played a snap or two, so yes, 3 games. Forgot about that one. Still a couple less than last year, so healthier than last year.

And I'll just put this here. My gut feeling is that he's going to get traded; his value will be up there after his post-season performance, so it'll be worth the picks to trade Sammy now.

My only contention being that he's probably more valuable to the team than many on here think, and when he goes, the WRs we have on the roster next season will not be able to make up the difference.

Not saying the Chiefs won't make the playoffs or anything, just the the offense is far more efficient with Watkins on the field for us.

He's a far better receiver than many here give him credit for, and it'll be hard to find a receiver either through the draft or whatever to replace him.

If we could find a way to keep him, the offense would be much better off than any of the options posted in this thread.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 02:59 PM 02-06-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
This is probably the one (miniscule) downside to winning a Super Bowl. Once these players get over the hump and get a ring, their motivation usually transitions to individual goals.

It’s hard to blame any of these guys for saying, “Alright, we got you all a ring, now it’s time for you to take care of us.”

This is where egos can get in the way. Veach and Andy are going to have to make some calculated and rational decisions, and they may not always be ones fans agree with initially.

I’ll put my faith in them until proven otherwise.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 03:32 PM 02-06-2020
I can't blame Sammy Watkins for wanting to maximize his $$$, but he's been open about the struggles he went through in Buffalo and with the Rams, in terms of playing with a bad QB, bad offense, not trusting how his injuries were being managed, etc.

Maybe that will make him open to restructuring, if it provides him a way to stay in KC.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 13
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up