ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 264 of 270
« First < 164214254260261262263264 265266267268 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***OFFICIAL 2019 Chiefs Training Camp Thread***
RealSNR 02:58 PM 07-23-2019
Tweets from https://twitter.com/RMSWeather/lists/chiefs

In the meantime, this gem from Andy Reid's press conference today:

Andy Reid was asked if he did anything fun or exotic this offseason: “I attacked a couple Chile rellenos.”

— Jeff Darlington (@JeffDarlington) July 23, 2019

[Reply]
staylor26 05:33 AM 08-22-2019
Spags seems to really like Miller. I wouldn’t be so quick to assume he doesn’t make the team.
[Reply]
O.city 07:31 AM 08-22-2019
So has Ward just had a bad camp? Haven't really heard much bad about him, dunno.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:33 AM 08-22-2019
Wards issue is he is learning to play zone, he was brought here for his man skills.

Herb Miller I dunno, he has nice size but at the same time his speed is seriously lacking and that is a problem.
[Reply]
Oxford 07:34 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Spags seems to really like Miller. I wouldn’t be so quick to assume he doesn’t make the team.
If he flashes talent at the CB position, how would he make it to the PS? Everybody is looking for CB. The PS guys are guys with little or no pre-season film or really raw guys.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:38 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Oxford:
If he flashes talent at the CB position, how would he make it to the PS? Everybody is looking for CB. The PS guys are guys with little or no pre-season film or really raw guys.
For the same reason he didn't get drafted, even if you have decent skills being slow at that position is something most teams will pass on.
[Reply]
Oxford 07:56 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
For the same reason he didn't get drafted, even if you have decent skills being slow at that position is something most teams will pass on.
OTOH, he seems to be very comfortable in zone (according to reports), so he could fit as a dime corner. May come down to S/T with him
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 07:57 AM 08-22-2019
Remember that Herb Miller is the youngest guy In camp right now at the tender age of 21. Obviously he's not fully developed yet but he's got a ton of potential with his length and size. The talk is he's good in both zone and man coverage, and this is why he's risen so quickly as he's been able to adapt to Spags's zone scheme quicker than others. In his college days he also played outside or In the nickel.

As for his speed. Well at his pro-day he apparently ran his 40 at 4:57. Guess which top rated CB who also started off as a UDFA ran his at 4:55? One AJ BOUYE!!!.
[Reply]
O.city 08:44 AM 08-22-2019
So listening to some punditry this offseason, we've heard about how Mahomes needs to learn to be pt, take the check down and milk the clock to give the defense a break or whatever that's supposed to mean.

My thing is, they say he's this super talented dude out of one side of their mouth, then want him to reign that in and play like the rest of the league out the other. Why is that? Why wouldn't you want him to play the way he played last year? They keep saying "well, the league will catch up, the league will catch up".

Has the NBA caught up with Steph and Klay? No, doesn't seem so. They're just different kind of talented so they do what they want and you can't really stop them (injuries I know). But it's like saying "Steph shouldn't shoot that 3, he should take the easier shot, the higher percentage shot".

Well, no, he shouldn't. First off, he can shoot that percentage at 3 that most guys shoot from the fucking 3 point line.

So to compare with Mahomes, he can make those throws with a higher percentage than the other guys can, whether the defense "has film or not". So why do we want him to stop that, or "reign" it in?

I get it's hard to say, as a pundit, "we've never seen anything like this so we don't know how to react so we'll just go with the he must conform here" mantra.

The Chiefs have a really unique amount of talent at the skill spots, they have one of the best offensive minded head coaches in the history of the NFL, to pair with a QB that everyone says is a unicorn.

And I'm supposed to want said QB to take his foot off the gas and play "conservative"? Why?
[Reply]
Mecca 08:50 AM 08-22-2019
If teams are willing to sit back in a deep zone and they freely give you 12 yard gains you probably should take them because you do that and then they'll start creeping up, in reality there is no feasable way of defending the Chiefs other than hoping the Chiefs are not patient and refuse to take what you give them.
[Reply]
O.city 08:51 AM 08-22-2019
The whole "the offense scored too fast or too much for the defense" stuff is just wrong too, in my opinion.

The best thing you can do for your defense is get them leads and make other offenses more predictable aka make them have to throw the ball more.

The whole "the defense was tired" shit just doesn't fly for me in regards to the Chiefs last year. How many times did they start the fucking game giving up long drives and being shitty?
[Reply]
O.city 08:55 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
If teams are willing to sit back in a deep zone and they freely give you 12 yard gains you probably should take them because you do that and then they'll start creeping up, in reality there is no feasable way of defending the Chiefs other than hoping the Chiefs are not patient and refuse to take what you give them.
That's the issue though, the Chiefs didn't take what the defense gave them last year. They fucking stuck it to defenses because they're just more talented than defenses.

Sure the legit defenses like the Ravens gave them fits. The Chiefs also weren't healthy at that point. Now, health will always be a potential pitfall, but that's with every team.

Just coming back to Andy here though. How many times have we seen him just scheme dudes open that aren't really even that talented of players?

Now you give him a well oiled Ferrari with a driver that can push it to it's absolute best output and we want them to what, drive the speed limit?

Why?
[Reply]
O.city 08:58 AM 08-22-2019
The best thing they could do for the defense? Go score 45 points.

Seriously. Go put up 45 and tell the defense to get 3 or 4 stops per game. In todays NFL, you aren't gonna get shut down defenses anymore. It's just not gonna happen. So in that regard, I really like what Veach and co have done in terms of putting together one that's dynamic that can force turnovers and get a few key stops. I think we need to alter our thinking on what a great defense is anymore. It's not the 2000 Ravens. With the rules, I just don't know how you can do that.
[Reply]
Best22 09:05 AM 08-22-2019
Because sometimes it’s better to take the high% play. There is a balance to this and Mahomes did make many “high% passes” but we did leave a few on the table, think first drive vs Seattle and Mahomes threw a deep 50/50 ball when he could’ve easily scrambled the the first on 3rd and 1.

Better, consistent footwork, especially in the pocket, will make him more accurate. It’s basically just going to make Mahomes even more lethal.

But not everyone watches that much Mahomes film, so pundits aren’t 100% right in everything. But it is important to not get too preoccupied with making the “big play.”

That being said, Mahomes is good at not forcing things, and I think alot of people don’t realize this. So I’d say Mahomes needs to play similar to last year but there will be short passing opportunities that he needs to make to keep drives alive that he missed last year. Basically the difference between zero experience, and experience.
[Reply]
Oxford 09:07 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
The best thing they could do for the defense? Go score 45 points.

Seriously. Go put up 45 and tell the defense to get 3 or 4 stops per game. In todays NFL, you aren't gonna get shut down defenses anymore. It's just not gonna happen. So in that regard, I really like what Veach and co have done in terms of putting together one that's dynamic that can force turnovers and get a few key stops. I think we need to alter our thinking on what a great defense is anymore. It's not the 2000 Ravens. With the rules, I just don't know how you can do that.
Playing defense with offense
[Reply]
Mecca 09:08 AM 08-22-2019
I don't think they should just neuter the offense or anything like that, but there needs to be a good mix, there is nothing wrong with taking the plays that are there because they are scared of your deep plays.
[Reply]
Page 264 of 270
« First < 164214254260261262263264 265266267268 > Last »
Up