ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 179 of 324
« First < 79129169175176177178179 180181182183189229279 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:12 PM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
Absolutely. I'm sure Bob had some complex coverage schemes in his playbook too. The difference is, unlike Bob, Spags can probably teach and convey those schemes to his DB's much more effectively and if necessary, have a "plan b" on standby if the schemes aren't working. But yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that with current players and any draftees brought in, we're gonna' strip it down and start playing some tough, aggressive, disciplined, and fundamentally sound defense.
well, all I know is that in all the years I've watched NFL football (starting with the '78 Super Bowl) I've NEVER seen so many recievers running so wide open with nary a defender within ten yards of them. Never. Not even the Robinson 'spinner' defenses had guys running that wide open.

So clearly, guys didn't know what they were supposed to do. OFTEN.

It's gotta be better than that. I mean, we aren't lining up guys off the street here, there are some high picks on that defense.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 08:27 PM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
well, all I know is that in all the years I've watched NFL football (starting with the '78 Super Bowl) I've NEVER seen so many recievers running so wide open with nary a defender within ten yards of them. Never. Not even the Robinson 'spinner' defenses had guys running that wide open.

So clearly, guys didn't know what they were supposed to do. OFTEN.

It's gotta be better than that. I mean, we aren't lining up guys off the street here, there are some high picks on that defense.
I can't believe there was actually a defense ranked WORSE.
[Reply]
bricks 08:31 PM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
:-)

Awesome man. All of these were missing from last years __efense.

As soon he mentioned these 3 things, we now know this defensive culture is going to change. Scheme or no scheme, and regardless of the formation....The defensive philosophy that he is emphasizing on already makes us better. Way to go Spags! Way to go!
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:04 PM 02-21-2019
I can't believe there was actually a defense ranked WORSE.
I know, right? How's it even possible?
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 09:13 PM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I know, right? How's it even possible?
It's infuriating because as much as some would like to claim "lack of talent" or anything else that absolves Bob, the fact of the matter is that a well-coached, disciplined defense with even less "star power" keeps Brady from going to overtime.
[Reply]
New World Order 09:34 PM 02-21-2019
With some sound coaching and a couple of more legitimate starters you'd think this defense could move up at least 5 spots in both defensive ppg and ypg. That would put us at about 23 ppg (26 ppg, 2018) and 370-380 ypg (405 ypg 2018).

That should give us a pretty good shot at the SB.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:25 PM 02-21-2019
Originally Posted by Chargem:
The thing you are forgetting is that the Chiefs have been signing guys to deals that balloon in later years, so while some players contracts are off the books, other cap hits are massively increasing. For example Sammy Watkins cap hit more than doubled.

I don't think it's whiny of people to ask you to do the research for yourself, it is actually quite fulfilling to work through it yourself and look at the options I think, but then I am a numbers guy in my day job.

Happy to do the math for you though. Per Spotrac here the Chiefs start with $25.5m to play with. If you don't want to believe either Spotrac or overthecap.com's estimates then I don't know what to tell you, they are taking the salary information from publicly available info and estimating where they need to, they are generally not out by more than a few hundred thousand.

This $25.5m figure is lower than many expected mid season. The reason for this is mainly proven performance escalators (PPE). Again worth a google but basically rookies who accrue enough snaps get a pay bump at certain milestones. As it stands, Murray, Robinson, Hill, Fuller, and probably a few I am forgetting all earned this and are looking at having their salary bumped up from 600k to $2m, which is the reason the Chiefs only have $25.5m to play with.

Getting on to the tenders, the Chiefs have the following people to tender as ERFAs, where the tender is $600k - Butker, Kemp and Hamilton. This is $1.8m of cap used. Then the RFA's, there are Lucas and T Smith. Definitely worth a google of how the tendering works but essentially if you wanted to make sure to keep either of these guys you have to tender them for $2m. I think Lucas probably gets that.

We're now at $3.8m of cap used. The latest estimate of the franchise tag cost for linebackers is $15.7m, which means if you keep Ford you have now used $19.5m of your $25.5m.

Now you have to sign your draft class. This is a little complicated to calculate because the cap is based on your top 51 roster spots, so every time you sign a draft guy you bump a guy off the bottom of the 51 spot and free up probably around $600k as you incur the cost of the rookies salary. You can look up the salaries per draft slot for rookies but of course it varies if the Chiefs trade any picks. Most people estimate about $3-4m of cap needed for signing the full class.

This takes you to $22.5m of cap used if we are generous and estimate at the $3m amount for the rookies, but that still only gives you $3m total cap space left, and most teams try to take around $5m into the season to be able to have room to make trades mid season if it would push them over the top.

And there you have it. Not a single FA signed, just Dee Ford tagged, and the Chiefs have no money for free agents.
Houston 14m
Berry 9.5m
Sorensen 2.7m
Eric Murray 2m
Ragland 1.3m

That’s about 30m in cap space...plenty to go get a couple guys that can help us.

Also, extending guys like Hill and Jones usually doesn’t effect the current years capdollars as those would likely be extensions added to the end of their current deals.

Another factor I’m sure Veach has in mind is comp picks. Guys like Morse, Conley, Nelson and Bailey will likely get nice FA deals that should get us nice comp picks in next years draft if we don’t go crazy in FA. Maybe even a third and fourth. Those are going to be important. Especially if we try to move up in this draft to get a couple coveted guys.
[Reply]
Chargem 01:41 AM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Houston 14m
Berry 9.5m
Sorensen 2.7m
Eric Murray 2m
Ragland 1.3m

That’s about 30m in cap space...plenty to go get a couple guys that can help us.

Also, extending guys like Hill and Jones usually doesn’t effect the current years capdollars as those would likely be extensions added to the end of their current deals.

Another factor I’m sure Veach has in mind is comp picks. Guys like Morse, Conley, Nelson and Bailey will likely get nice FA deals that should get us nice comp picks in next years draft if we don’t go crazy in FA. Maybe even a third and fourth. Those are going to be important. Especially if we try to move up in this draft to get a couple coveted guys.
Oh sure I'm not saying there is no way it is possible to sign anyone in free agency, I was responding to the "keep the pass rushers for next year" crowd who think we can still add a lot to the roster if we do that.

The extension thing is also irrelevant, I didn't include it in my figures for the working of the cap in 2019 anyway so I agree with what you are saying there.

There's some doubt on Berry to as to how his injury guarantees work, if he chooses to have surgery and whether that will fully guarantee his 2019 salary. I don't know the answer to that, but it is possible.

And lets say you make all the cuts you suggest, assuming you tender Lucas you are down to 2 safeties and 3 corners total on the roster before the draft (and those 5 guys have minimal starting experience outside of Fuller). You're going to have to add 5 bodies there between the draft and FA.

You would also be short at both DE and LB unless you drafted one of each, and that's not even considering you only have 1 tight end on the roster, I think only 2 running backs and you aren't replacing Conley or DAT (maybe you love Kemp and Dieter, if so that's fine).

I'm not being all doom and gloom here, I'm just saying to get an impact FA you probably have to either let Ford go (walk or tag and trade) or you have to cut Houston or Berry or maybe both - which is also what you are saying.

Of those options, if you can cut Berry and keep Houston/Ford I think that is probably the way to go. My 2nd best option is the tag and trade of Ford I think.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:57 AM 02-22-2019
It's infuriating because as much as some would like to claim "lack of talent" or anything else that absolves Bob, the fact of the matter is that a well-coached, disciplined defense with even less "star power" keeps Brady from going to overtime.
Nothing absolves Bob. NOTHING.

That being said, lack of talent was still a HUGE issue in the secondary.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:58 AM 02-22-2019
Houston 14m
Berry 9.5m
Sorensen 2.7m
Eric Murray 2m
Ragland 1.3m

And then you tag Ford and cut Houston and $25M of that $30M is gone.
[Reply]
Buckweath 02-22-2019, 11:53 AM
This message has been deleted by Buckweath. Reason: Checked the answer to my question.
Buckweath 12:07 PM 02-22-2019
Houston 14m
Berry 9.5m
Sorensen 2.7m
Eric Murray 2m
Ragland 1.3m

I thought releasing Berry would only save 1.5M but you are right post June 1, they save pretty much 10M.

This makes me realize that they are really not in a bad situation with regard to the cap.

If they cut both Houston and Berry they have plenty of cap space available and plus they can cut those other cheaper deal players.
[Reply]
O.city 12:09 PM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Try 15 mil not 25
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:25 PM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Try 15 mil not 25
As of right now we have $25M to $28M in cap space. The tag for Ford is going to be between $15M to $17M so for easy figuring that would leave +/- $10M then you add the $30M for those cuts we would be right around $40M in cap room.
[Reply]
Kiimo 01:12 PM 02-22-2019
Always use over the cap instead of spotrac if you want accurate cap savings.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 01:32 PM 02-22-2019
Nothing absolves Bob. NOTHING.

That being said, lack of talent was still a HUGE issue in the secondary.
I am not convinced that Sutton's scheme didn't systematically eliminate individual ability from performing.

We might very well have great young talent on this team, but he wouldn't play them and they couldn't pick up the scheme quickly enough.

I think there is a potential for a MONUMENTAL turnaround on this defense.
[Reply]
Page 179 of 324
« First < 79129169175176177178179 180181182183189229279 > Last »
Up